PDA

View Full Version : Write Notepads & Co Notebook Review

heath
January 10th, 2014, 01:15 PM
To see the review with all the images click here: http://penpaperinkletter.com/write-notepads-co-notebook-review/ (http://penpaperinkletter.com/write-notepads-co-notebook-review/)

Write Notepads & Co is a relatively new company based out of Baltimore, MD in the US. They manufacture their notebooks in Baltimore from US sourced materials. The mission or Write Notepads & Co is to make solid products with local people in a style that is both reflecting our past as well as meeting the desires of the new generation to have handcrafted, physical products.

For each notebook they sell they also give one to a local Baltimore school. In the front of your notebook you’ll see a code that you can type in on their website to see which school benefited from your purchase. I love the model and have not one thing negative to say about giving back but I will say that in this model you obviously have to go one of two ways. You either one, raise the prices above market rates to compensate for the free copy or you lower the quality in order to keep the prices low. Neither is a deal breaker when you are interested in supporting schools but it is an inevitable trade off. So, what has Write Notepads & Co done? I think they have done the best they can by melding the two options together. The prices are higher than most at the big box stores but not more than most “artisan” or luxury notebooks. The quality is also higher than almost anything you’ll find in those same big boxes but it is not as good as many that already inhabit the fountain pen world. For $16, knowing you are in reality purchasing two notebooks, I think Write Notepads & Co and founder have a winning formula. Think about the good it might do if every time you purchased a school related product you doubled up and gave one to a child. That is basically what they are doing for us. I think the idea that it is local is also commendable. We all know people around the world are in need but sometimes the best place to start is right in your own backyard.

So, leaving the mission of the company behind and simply looking at the notebooks themselves I must say I am pleased with the product but not blown away. I think this mostly stems form the fact that the logo includes a fountain pen. Give me the same notebook with no expectation that is is fountain pen friendly and I likely would say this notebook is near perfect for what it is and in its price range. The unfortunate fact though is that it is not fountain pen friendly. If you aren’t planning to use a fountain pen with it then you can take from my review that it is a very high quality, well made and solid feeling notebook. The binding and paper look to be of good quality and the overall packaging, design of the product, etc. all feel artisan and worth the money. For those that want to use fountain pens with these notebooks just know that you will be limited to dry, fine nibs and still might need to play around with combos until you find one that will look crisp and not bleed through. Again, in most notebooks there is no expectation that they would be able to handle a flex nib fountain pen but I can’t get it out of my head that the logo contains a fountain pen. It may just be a nod to the origins of the pen and if so, knowing most will be using a ball pen anyway, I actually like the idea.

Below are some writing samples that will show how the paper handled a decent selection of pens and inks.

In conclusion, I would say that for $16 for the large notebook and $8 for the smaller near pocket size (except that it is ring bound and likely won’t be comfortable in a pocket) it is worth checking them out. If you aren’t using a fountain pen I would actually highly recommend these. I might also recommend that we learn from this company and whenever we buy office or school products we also pick up some that we can give to some of our local schools, libraries or community centers. I don’t know that there would be any point in buying an extra premium notebook or pen to donate but maybe along with your Lamy Studio you can pick up a pack off ball or gel pens to donate.

-Heath
@WeThePPIL