PDA

View Full Version : Something Different: Walnut Nib Holder for Glass Nibs!

drgoretex
January 10th, 2014, 07:11 PM
Hello everyone,

It has been a while since I have posted any of my new pens - partly because I didn't have anything earth-shatteringly different to show, and partly because my photo gear was stashed away in a closet during the Christmas Holiday...

But I thought I would pull out the photo gear and get some pics of this one, as it is quite a bit different from what I usually do. I had a request for a nib holder for glass nibs, and in fact was sent the said nibs for sizing and fit. A darker wood was requested, so away I go with the walnut.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/Custom%20Pens/Custom%20Fountain%20Pens/Designer%20Fountain%20Pens/IMG_8890_zps7c340ca7.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/Custom%20Pens/Custom%20Fountain%20Pens/Designer%20Fountain%20Pens/IMG_8899_zpsdb2b2dcd.jpg

The nib holder is about 7 1/2" long, and about 0.6" at the grip (by request). Since it has no internal components, it is quite light and comfortable in the hand. The glass nibs fit by friction into a sleeve of black acrylic, which is inset into the pen by about 3/4 inch, sealing the nib off completely from the wood itself. On the outside, the wood is sealed with several layers of soaked-in thin CA, sealing it against any potential ink spills.

Well, there we go. Any comments welcome. Unless you're going to say that it really sucks. :cry:

Cheers,

Ken

reprieve
January 10th, 2014, 08:48 PM
A nib holder for glass nibs! That's so cool! And it's beautiful to boot!

trhall
January 10th, 2014, 08:53 PM
It really doesn't suck. :-)

earthdawn
January 10th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Awesome work

Looks great!

InvisibleMan
January 10th, 2014, 10:48 PM
That's really cool!

Marc H
January 12th, 2014, 06:45 PM
It looks good. I like the way the beads set off the curve in the midsection.

inlovewithjournals
January 12th, 2014, 07:32 PM
Complete opposite of sucks. :)

Larry Barrieau
February 1st, 2014, 12:21 PM
That is really nice. Is the sleeve of black acrylic available on line somewhere or did you fashion that too. Nice piece of work, can I ask how much you charged? I'm expecting a couple of nibs soon and I have to fashion a holder. Also, is there a source for glass nibs which are better quality than others? I just got two from ebay but I know nothing of their quality.

Thanks very much drgoretex
Larry

drgoretex
February 2nd, 2014, 08:01 AM
That is really nice. Is the sleeve of black acrylic available on line somewhere or did you fashion that too. Nice piece of work, can I ask how much you charged? I'm expecting a couple of nibs soon and I have to fashion a holder. Also, is there a source for glass nibs which are better quality than others? I just got two from ebay but I know nothing of their quality.

Thanks very much drgoretex
Larry

Thanks Larry. Message sent.

Ken

kaisnowbird
February 2nd, 2014, 05:45 PM
How did I miss this thread? It's lovely!

I think this is the kind of pen that the more you touch it and look at it the more you'll love it.

VertOlive
February 6th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Whoa. Possibilities here! How interesting.....

Also does not suck. It rocks.

79spitfire
February 9th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Suck?

I don't think so, but of course, I want one!
http://www.thefastertimes.com/pediatrics/files/2012/05/drooling-photo.jpg