PDA

View Full Version : My First Kaweco Sport (So much smaller than expected)

heath
January 11th, 2014, 09:22 AM
I got my first Kaweco Sport this week and I have to say I love the look so much more than I expected. For some reason I always assumed based on pictures that it would be much more clunky. Every image I'd seen of the pen had me thinking in terms of a screw driver where the outer angled portion would be like the handle of the screwdriver and the round nib section like the shaft of the screw driver. I assumed it would be an awkward chunky pen with odd proportions and a less than ideal body balance when posted. Every part of that expectation was wrong.

Am I the only one that thought the pen looked chunky in pics before getting one?

Ted A
January 11th, 2014, 10:22 AM
I've been using mine so long that I can't remember. I love them. Especially the Classic. The AL I have is heavy and slippery enough that it is much less enjoyable to use. One thing I've concluded is that you have to decide whether it's a pocket, knock around pen or if you want to try to keep it unmarked. The plastic is pretty soft so if you carry it in a pants pocket, as I do, it's going to scratch. To keep it unscretched would require a case probably. I like having it always in my front pocket so the scratches are "the patina of heavy use"

fpquest
January 11th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Especially the Classic. The AL I have is heavy and slippery enough that it is much less enjoyable to use.
I chuckled as I read this. I'm the opposite. The Classic is a little light for me and the nib less smooth. The AL has substance and the nib is smoother. Just my preference. But I agree with everything else Ted A said. I love them all (Classic, AC, AL) but the Classic is third on the list. All three are always inked. I also decided to keep the AL in my front pants pocket and consider the scratches a badge of honor for a trusted pen. On the other hand my red AC is too nice to be scratched up so it stays in a case.

I don't really remember being surprised by the size but it was a while ago.

Cookies
January 11th, 2014, 01:26 PM
I absolutely love my Kaweco Sports. I wish it were just a touch heavier, but for its purpose I think it's close to perfect. I always have at least one inked on my desk, and keep one in my purse clipped to a banditapple notepad. Their stubs are great as well. I've only tried the 1.1 but I like it much more than stock stubs at comparable prices. No tipping, but it's beautifully smooth and much crisper than I thought it would be.
Like FPquest it's been a while so I don't remember if I was surprised by the size.

heath
January 11th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Their stubs are great as well. I've only tried the 1.1 but I like it much more than stock stubs at comparable prices.

Does anyone know if they make the 1.1 in gold on black?

Cookies
January 11th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Their stubs are great as well. I've only tried the 1.1 but I like it much more than stock stubs at comparable prices.

Does anyone know if they make the 1.1 in gold on black?

I believe they only sell them in the silver color.

Jeph
January 11th, 2014, 02:52 PM
I am not sure about the dimensions of the new ones but it should be pretty close to the same as the early ones. There is no reason to change something that works. I find that they make perfect book bag pens. They are compact but post to be near the size of a posted M400. But I much prefer the older piston fillers to the modern cartridge versions.

KrazyIvan
January 11th, 2014, 05:09 PM
I don't remember thinking the pen was chunky looking. I just thought it looked cool and wanted one. Now I have several including two Art Sports, a Classic, an Al Sport, and one ballpoint.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5475/10393812305_57d5fe9a55_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/10393812305/)
Oh wait, the #kaweco family shot is not complete. We forgot cousin Guilloche ballpoint. He's the black sheep of the family. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/10393812305/) by IvanRomero (http://www.flickr.com/people/ivan_romero/), on Flickr

LHGordon
January 11th, 2014, 11:21 PM
Ivan, where were you able to get the Art Sports Models? I would love to get one of the Amber ones, but haven't seen them on sale anywhere in the States.

erpe
January 11th, 2014, 11:52 PM
They might look a bit off balance sizewise, short and stubby:

but in writing position, the dimensions are perfectly normal, comparable with larger ones like the not so tiny Lamy Safari

Flake
January 12th, 2014, 06:33 AM
I never could understand how the pen was so popular looking at pictures, it seemed awkward, bulky, and just plain odd to my eyes. Until I used one. Holy cow, what great pens. It wrote well and it was comfortable, I was very pleasantly surprised.

kaisnowbird
January 12th, 2014, 07:10 AM
I for one think it looks chunky and clunky, which is why I still don't have one. The comments on this thread are changing my mind and I need to put an Art Sport on my wish list.

Ivan, where were you able to get the Art Sports Models? I would love to get one of the Amber ones, but haven't seen them on sale anywhere in the States.
+1 from me.

KrazyIvan
January 12th, 2014, 08:01 AM
I sourced both of mine on eBay.