PDA

View Full Version : Wild 51 while antiquing

Cameo
January 11th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Hello to all - this is my first time posting on this part of the forum. I wanted to upload a few pics of the Parker 51 I bought while I was out "antiquing" with my wife. It has a steel cap and the tag said the pen was from 1948 and was labeled parker buckskin. I'm sure it will need some work so I am planning a trip to see a gentleman who has taught me about fountain pens. Thanks for looking and for any information you can send my way. 871387148715

Jeph
January 11th, 2014, 05:08 PM
nice find

tandaina
January 11th, 2014, 05:16 PM
My understanding is those old fillers are pretty tough. I'd try and see if it'll take water, might not need anything at all.

Very nice find. 51s are work horses and I like the less common colors.

gweddig
January 11th, 2014, 05:22 PM
If it is indeed Buckskin, then you have happened upon one of the less common colors. Nice find!

--greg

sloegin
January 11th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Not buckskin, but cocoa. Buckskin did not come in the aerometric filler.

Cameo
January 11th, 2014, 05:38 PM
After reading the replies, and getting some help from google - I also think that I have a cocoa 51 and not a buckskin. In the search images I found, I didn't notice a buckskin with a steel cap... Thanks for all the help!

Cameo
January 11th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Tandaina, I followed your advice and my new friend started to write!8730

tandaina
January 11th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Yay! :)

Did it take water so you filled it with ink...

Or did it take water and revived the ink some owner left there 50 years ago? That's a 51 for you. :) :pound:

Cameo
January 11th, 2014, 07:23 PM
It was a revival of the old ink!

usk15
January 12th, 2014, 01:06 PM
That's a beautiful find! good luck with this workhorse!

Cameo
January 13th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Thanks!

lisantica
February 15th, 2014, 08:31 AM
I love old ink revivals!
Congrats on a marvelous find!

Frank
February 15th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Congrats on your 51 find!!

:)

amk
February 16th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Congratulations. You are now, of course, a lost cause, and will haunt antique shop after antique shop trying to repeat this wonderful stroke of luck...

The good news is that if you do it long enough, sooner or later you get another one :-)

That's really a lovely pen.

gweddig
February 16th, 2014, 07:22 PM
The good news is that if you do it long enough, sooner or later you get another one :-)

I found a Demi Cocoa "51" a few years ago in a shop, I wasn't very excited by the color so I sold it. Shortly after found another one, same thing, different shop (though it was double the price…$20US). I'm thinking someone wants me to have this so I'm going to hang onto this one.

mastersmith
June 2nd, 2014, 07:39 PM
Great find!

Craig Ruhl
June 12th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Congratulations on a great pen find. The 51 series is my favorite line of pens. Certain sense of accomplishment to find a great one in the wild too.

Sailor Kenshin
June 12th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Tandaina, I followed your advice and my new friend started to write!8730

My heart is boiling over with white-hot jealousy...

;)

That is SOME spectacular find. I love the color and the fact that it still writes.

Runnin_Ute
July 6th, 2014, 08:35 PM
That is a very nice 51!!

pajaro
July 24th, 2014, 07:41 AM
That is a very nice pen and a great discovery. I used to find 51s at yard sales when I had the time and the energy to visit them. It gives me a lot of pleasure to know others are still uncovering Parker 51s and restoring them to use. This cocoa pen is a wonderful find. Congratulations.

Hawk
July 24th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Very nice find!

davefeldman
August 12th, 2014, 10:59 AM
That is a very nice pen and a great discovery. I used to find 51s at yard sales when I had the time and the energy to visit them. It gives me a lot of pleasure to know others are still uncovering Parker 51s and restoring them to use. This cocoa pen is a wonderful find. Congratulations.

It seems like I've been seeing fewer 51's at garage and estate sales. Makes sense, I guess, if you think about when they were produced. I was finding a few a year, for a while.

scrivelry
August 12th, 2014, 11:25 AM
I've been going to yard sales on and off since I was seven, and I have found over time that the stuff you see changes in the sort of stuff people are selling as different generations clear out the house to go live in Florida, or otherwise exit the area.

Of course there is also the getting rid of the plastic sandbox and car and other toddler toys at which I would not at all expect to find a fountain pen, although I ran into a bunch of journals at one of those.

The scariest part is when you start seeing stuff you wanted, but could not afford,when it first came out, hitting the "old stuff I'm getting rid of" terminals like garage sales and thrift stores...

jadehawk
August 12th, 2014, 05:09 PM
No wonder I can't find nothing down here in Florida. They get sold before getting here!! :)

pajaro
August 19th, 2014, 08:02 PM
No wonder I can't find nothing down here in Florida. They get sold before getting here!! :)

I lived in Pensacola for about 40 years. I found a number of pens, 51s and others, and a good many were gifts the recipient never used. Pensacola, though, is really in the Deep South, and a tad bit different from peninsular Florida. I have lived all over the state, and did find a few 51s in Fort Meyers while visiting my parents.

KBeezie
August 21st, 2014, 01:23 AM
Cocoa Brown looks very attractive.