PDA

View Full Version : Review: Pelikan Edelstein Topaz

DrChumley
January 11th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Additional pictures here: http://penhabit.com/2014/01/03/ink-review-pelikan-edelstein-topaz/

This is my first experience with the Edelstein line...and if the rest of the inks behave like this, then I'm intrigued...

The color, which is a deeper cerulean blue color, just seems to glow from within on the page. The nice shading (especially in a wet pen) lends a great deal of depth to the color, making it feel almost 3-dimensional. In a drier pen, the ink can run a little lighter–almost a sky blue color leaning toward turquoise.

But where the ink really kicks me in the gut is with its ridiculous sheen. That right red/purple sheen is just stunning. It’s, perhaps, not as apparent as the sheen on J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite or Iroshizuku Yama-Budo, but it’s still pretty apparent, and does more to add depth to your writing.

The ink flows quite well, and feels rather lubricated. I have, however, experienced some unusual behavior in my MB149 with this ink. The 149 has never had an issue with ink flow, but for some reason, it just doesn't like this ink at all. The flow gets all shot to crap, and I start getting hard starts and skips in a pen that normally writes like a dream. I've not experienced the same issue with any other pens, so it may just be something about that particular 149.

It tends to dry pretty quickly, and while not waterproof, it does leave behind a decent amount of ink when it has been exposed to water. So, I’d call it water resistant.

85AKbN
January 11th, 2014, 05:56 PM
Wow. Great pictures, great review - thanks.

The Good Captain
January 12th, 2014, 03:48 AM
I was given a bottle of this for Christmas but haven't had the chance to ink it up yet. I'll do it very soon - thanks for the review to goad me into action!

Waski_the_Squirrel
January 12th, 2014, 07:00 AM
I've tried the Edelstein Sapphire and was disappointed. This looks like the blue I was hoping that Sapphire would be.

Topaz looks good!

klpeabody
January 12th, 2014, 08:18 AM
I agree that this ink is stunning in appearance. It is probably my favorite of all the cerulean blues in that range. But, I found that I had difficulty using it in anything but the wettest of writers. While the packaging indicates that the Edelstein line is designed for a more smooth writing experience, I have found the flow with this one to be sparse. Maybe I had a bad batch, I don't know. YMMV. I wish my experience was different, because I really do enjoy the color but the flow makes it unusable for me. I have not observed the same flow issues with Tanzanite or Aventurine and use both regularly.

pengeezer
January 12th, 2014, 11:47 AM
I agree that this ink is stunning in appearance. It is probably my favorite of all the cerulean blues in that range. But, I found that I had difficulty using it in anything but the wettest of writers. While the packaging indicates that the Edelstein line is designed for a more smooth writing experience, I have found the flow with this one to be sparse. Maybe I had a bad batch, I don't know. YMMV. I wish my experience was different, because I really do enjoy the color but the flow makes it unusable for me. I have not observed the same flow issues with Tanzanite or Aventurine and use both regularly.

It could possibly be the batch. I have used this in a number of my pens and experienced
no problems whatsoever. As a matter of fact,it has become one of my favorite inks to use.
As to Dr. Chumley's 149,it might be that whatever is in the ink(besides the color)might be
reacting with the feed.

John

InkyDinky
August 21st, 2014, 05:39 PM
I've used Edelstein Sapphire ink for many years and have had absolutely no problems with over 30 pens. Great color, shading, and flow. But for some reason I also have the same problem with my 149 where at around half the page its starts skipping and at some points it just stops writing completely. I dont know if its the split ebonite feed or the ink. Its a complete mystery to me.

carlos.q
August 21st, 2014, 07:32 PM
This is one of my favorite inks... :cheers:

Newjelan
August 22nd, 2014, 01:56 AM
My favourite ink... It's perfect

caribbean_skye
August 22nd, 2014, 05:41 AM
Thanks for posting this. I have a bottle of it and this post reminds me that i need to use it more.