PDA

View Full Version : Iroshizuku Yu-yake

carpedavid
March 31st, 2010, 07:49 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2767/4396663034_dbf673dbde.jpg

The Iroshizuku inks by Pilot are quickly becoming my favorite brand. I started my Iroshizuku collection with Yu-Yake (Sunset), which is a delightful burnt orange that I would describe as somewhere between a sunset and the color of autumn leaves. It is a very saturated orange, though it exhibits significant shading in a wide nib. In a fine nib, the shading is reduced, though still apparent.

One of the characteristics I like about the Iroshizuku inks in general is their relatively quick drying time, which makes them good candidates for journaling. On an absorbent paper like a Moleskine or Ecosystem journal, the ink dries in 2 seconds. On a less absorbent paper, like the Rhodia 80g paper I wrote the review on, it took a good 15 seconds to dry. In a Moleskine journal, this ink does exhibit some feathering, though show-through and bleed-through are minimal. It is an easy-flowing ink, and I have had no trouble using it in any pen.

The Yu-Yake is a very vibrant color, though easy to read. I have had no trouble using it for daily use, but it would be an unlikely candidate for business use.

As with the other Iroshizuku inks, Yu-Yake comes in a beautiful, solid, 50 ml bottle. The bottle has a depression in the base to allow for the last drops to be claimed with ease. The only drawback to this ink is the cost – for a comparable volume, Iroshizuku tends to run 50 to 100% more than other inks.

Iroshizuku Yu-Yake is highly recommended.

Review materials: for the wide strokes, I used a Lamy 1.1mm steel calligraphy nib on a Lamy Safari. For the fine strokes, I used a Lamy XF steel nib on a Lamy Safari. The paper was Rhodia 80gsm.

dannzeman
March 31st, 2010, 04:37 PM
Now this would be a color that might get me to actually shell out for a bottle of Iroshizuku.
Another great review. My only recommendation is to add pictures of the bottles.

carpedavid
April 1st, 2010, 08:35 AM
Now this would be a color that might get me to actually shell out for a bottle of Iroshizuku.

Good suggestion. I will likely start doing this with future reviews.

Freddy
May 25th, 2012, 10:08 PM
I am seriously considering this as my first Iroshizuku. I really like that color and think it would look great in my TWSBI amber Vac 700. :)

JustDaveyB
May 26th, 2012, 04:13 AM

yu-yake including bottle image

http://justdaveyb.com/2011/11/20/into-rotation-waterman-preface-textured-green/

Chi Town
May 26th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Nice Review!

WOBentley
June 3rd, 2012, 06:13 PM
Nice review of a great ink! This is one of my favorites in the Iroshizuku line

writingrav
June 3rd, 2012, 07:27 PM
This looks different and prettier than any orange I've previously tried. Thanks for the review and putting it on my list

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ink mixer
June 3rd, 2012, 08:18 PM
I just loaded it in a Platinum B nib. Lovely.