PDA

View Full Version : New Baystate Blue advisory by Richard Binder

Jimmy James
April 21st, 2012, 06:09 PM
Please be aware that Richard Binder has issued an advisory on his business Facebook page indicating he has evidence that Baystate Blue (and likely the other Baystate inks) destroys the translucent plastic feeds on Pilot and Namiki pens. He is advising people to discontinue use of Baystate Blue in those pens.

I post this because I have done the same on FPN and at Badger & Blade and I don't want to see anyone's pens ruined here either. I want to be clear that I do not regard this as an indication there are issues with any non-Baystate inks made by Noodler's, that I don't see it as a fault of even the Baystate inks, that I don't see it as a fault on the part of Pilot/Namiki, and that I actually love Baystate Blue as well as my own Namiki Vanishing Point.

I have long advised people interested in using the vibrant blue glory that is Baystate Blue to commit one inexpensive but good pen to the ink. I use a Levenger TrueWriter I purchased from Levenger Outlet on eBay for something like $15 for Baystate inks. Even aside from any advisory, Nathan Tardif has urged people to never mix Baystate inks with any other ink. That doesn't mean flush until the pen runs clear. It means flush until there is NO TRACE of the former ink.

JustDaveyB
April 23rd, 2012, 07:52 AM
Yes read that myself. I adjusted my database so my three Pilot Custom 742s will not be offered BSB. This ink only gets a run in very few of my pens.

KrazyIvan
April 23rd, 2012, 08:49 AM
I tried Baystate Blue and did not like it because it looks more purple to me. I did make a note to be careful with Concord Grape. My daughter uses it in her purple Sheaffer No-Nonsense.

Tracy Lee
April 24th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Will just avoid I think. Seems easiest, thank you for sharing the information.

radellaf
April 25th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I seriously doubt there's a problem, and my unused black 78G just volunteered to be a BSB pen. Double the trouble because my old bottle had some floating light blue islands on top, so I filtered it. But I still call it bio-BSB. 78G is very easy to clean/examine and also one of the few pens with a size/flow nib that lets me use BSB on modest papers. AFAIK there are still no photos of R.B.'s test pens? Just the VP?

writingrav
April 25th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Using BSB in my Ahab eyedropper. No problems.

Jimmy James
April 28th, 2012, 09:16 AM
I understand if people don't want to bother with BSB, but I personally couldn't imagine doing that. I use it in a Preppy that came with my Noodler's Heart of Darkness and in a Levenger TrueWriter I designated my BSB pen. It's an amazing ink.

Would I use it in a 78G or a Plumix? Yes. Would I risk a Vanishing Point or above on it based on Richard's advisory? No. That's just my personal feeling.

KrazyIvan
April 28th, 2012, 09:23 AM
I just think there are other blues that are not so high maintanence that are close enough for me. Eric sent me a sample of Aurora Blue that is close enough for me. Waterman Florida Blue also helps. Maybe if it were easier to clean I would be more inspired to use it.

isellpens
April 28th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Since BSB does not seem to get along with other inks I think it’s best to dedicate a pen just to this color. I like to use cheaper pens
like my Guanleming 2001 for BSB and Heart of Darkness too.

jor412
April 29th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Since BSB does not seem to get along with other inks I think it’s best to dedicate a pen just to this color. I like to use cheaper pens
like my Guanleming 2001 for BSB and Heart of Darkness too.

I've done the same. I've BSB in my Hero 442 and it performs well in that pen. It's a beautiful, brilliant blue. I must admit though that after this one bottle, I would prefer to just find something that doesn't have to be confined to one pen.

Maja
April 29th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Would I use it in a 78G or a Plumix? Yes. Would I risk a Vanishing Point or above on it based on Richard's advisory? No. That's just my personal feeling.

I agree. I've had BSB in a cheap $2 Sailor fountain pen for a year now :redface: with no problems.
It's such an amazing ink that I can't imagine 'banning' it from all of my fountain pens, although I do appreciate Richard's warning.....

etoyoc
April 29th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Well... I now have my first BSB injury. When doing my weekly maintenance I decided to clean out the Plaisir that I keep BSB in. The paint came right off the nib. There, a little staining in the converter, but otherwise non of the plastic looks affected. I will probably end up putting BSB in here again when this pen comes back into rotation. And I prefer the look of the non-painted nib anyway.

picautomaton
April 29th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Jimmy thanks for your concern over our pens. Strange that BSB stuff, can't live with it can't live without it.

Sailor Kenshin
April 30th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Please be aware that Richard Binder has issued an advisory on his business Facebook page indicating he has evidence that Baystate Blue (and likely the other Baystate inks) destroys the translucent plastic feeds on Pilot and Namiki pens. He is advising people to discontinue use of Baystate Blue in those pens.

I post this because I have done the same on FPN and at Badger & Blade and I don't want to see anyone's pens ruined here either. I want to be clear that I do not regard this as an indication there are issues with any non-Baystate inks made by Noodler's, that I don't see it as a fault of even the Baystate inks, that I don't see it as a fault on the part of Pilot/Namiki, and that I actually love Baystate Blue as well as my own Namiki Vanishing Point.

I have long advised people interested in using the vibrant blue glory that is Baystate Blue to commit one inexpensive but good pen to the ink. I use a Levenger TrueWriter I purchased from Levenger Outlet on eBay for something like $15 for Baystate inks. Even aside from any advisory, Nathan Tardif has urged people to never mix Baystate inks with any other ink. That doesn't mean flush until the pen runs clear. It means flush until there is NO TRACE of the former ink.

I exclusively use a Pelikano Jr with a translucent blue barrel that just about matches the vibrant ink. Nice wet line, too.

southpaw52
July 11th, 2012, 01:26 PM
There are so many great choices of inks from various makers avoiding problematic Noodler's inks should not be a problem. I rather er on the the safe side, then risk destroying a pen.

The Good Captain
July 12th, 2012, 02:22 AM
AS Noodler's aren't very easy to obtain here anyway, it's never been an issue. Besides I wouldn't have bought that colour in the first place. Aurora Blue and Diamine Sapphire Blue are fine for me, with Diamine Royal Blue being a bright option with less purple.

fountainpenkid
July 18th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Until that ink is discontinued I refuse to trust (or use)any Noodler's inks. The others are probably great, but I just don't feel that my pens are safe when using inks like that. Then again most of my pens are vintage, so I don't want to risk any weird inks in the first place. Not trying to start an argument here!

Will

manoeuver
July 19th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Until that ink is discontinued I refuse to trust (or use)any Noodler's inks. The others are probably great, but I just don't feel that my pens are safe when using inks like that. Then again most of my pens are vintage, so I don't want to risk any weird inks in the first place. Not trying to start an argument here!

Willyou're missing some pretty cool inks. If you don't use it BSB can't ever hurt you. get a preppy already!

dgator
July 19th, 2012, 07:06 PM
you're missing some pretty cool inks. If you don't use it BSB can't ever hurt you. get a preppy already!

+1

If I owned BSB, I would certainly try it in a Pilot 78G or Sheaffer No Nonsense. What would I have to lose? $10? However, I would not try it in a VP
or Lamy 2000. Everyone has a different risk tolerance. Mine happens to be quite low.

I respect Richard Binder's comment, he's repaired many more pens than I have. I'd rather have the information out there and let the user decide.

Sailor Kenshin
July 20th, 2012, 05:04 PM
+1

If I owned BSB, I would certainly try it in a Pilot 78G or Sheaffer No Nonsense. What would I have to lose? $10?.

Or that Guanleming Demonstrator from isellpens. Five bucks, and you get to see the ink.

If I didn't already have my Baystate Blue pen I'd order another of these.

jd50ae
July 21st, 2012, 11:24 AM
I was testing 11 new ink samples last week and I noticed that BSB spread like an oil slick when I dipped the nib in water to clean it. Have not seen that from any other ink(so far).

fountainpenkid
July 22nd, 2012, 08:47 PM
that is wierd....i hope you didn't stain your sink. ;)

Will

ThriveToScribe
May 21st, 2013, 10:51 PM
[QUOTE=dgator;8400]+1

If I owned BSB, I would certainly try it in a Pilot 78G or Sheaffer No Nonsense. What would I have to lose? $10?.

I have a blue Pilot Plumix pen (very cheap) and when the cartridge ran out, I refilled it by syringe with some sample BayState Blue. (Out of curiosity). I thought I didn't like the color so much, but when I write a grocery list of my To Do list, it has a better look with the BSB. It also looks good inside the blue barrel, and writes nicely with the Plumix nib.

Mags
May 23rd, 2013, 08:53 PM
I am aware of the concerns posted and I think it was likely gleaned off Richard's website or from Peter Laywine. I love the colour of this ink though and it is a top 5 favourite colour. I like its bullet proof qualities and bleach and.water has helped me clean the demonstrator TWSBI 540 I use along with a Serwex pen and.this ink. I think it.would work well in my Dilli and a few other less expensive pens!

Anyone.who has not tried Baystate.Blue.or Plains.of Abraham has to try this stuff.....Noodlers makes great bullet proof serious ink!

Mags sent from my blackberry playbook using tapatalks