PDA

View Full Version : Pen of the Day: Classic Clipless in Charger Lava

drgoretex
January 15th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Hello folks,

Here is a pen that is just fresh off the bench this afternoon. It is a custom order for a Clipless pen in my 'Classic' style, made in this lovely Charger Lava resin (from Bear Tooth Woods).

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/Custom%20Pens/Custom%20Fountain%20Pens/Designer%20Fountain%20Pens/IMG_8908_zps5f910749.jpg

I have used these resins many, many times now, and just love the glowing swirls, the vibrant colours, and the polish the material takes. The down side with this stuff is that it often has little voids in it (bubbles) that end up needing to be filled when finishing the pen. Kind of a pain, and adds a good half hour or more to the production of each segment. Still, the final finish ends up quite nice, and I think I will have to just suck it up and keep using this stuff because it is just so darn lovely! :)

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/Custom%20Pens/Custom%20Fountain%20Pens/Designer%20Fountain%20Pens/IMG_8925_zpsb135faf8.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/Custom%20Pens/Custom%20Fountain%20Pens/Designer%20Fountain%20Pens/IMG_8919_zpse9669c0f.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Ken

cwent2
January 15th, 2014, 02:54 PM
Tie Dye! - Great looker!

anthonyd
January 15th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Great looking pen. I have turned several of these blanks and have not come across any voids. Are there specific colours that have the voids?

Tony

Jon Szanto
January 15th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Ken, you do such elegant work. Thank you for sharing your pens with us.

Ted A
January 15th, 2014, 09:50 PM
It's really hard to stop ,looking. Lovely pen!

Script1one
January 15th, 2014, 10:45 PM
Looks great, keep up the good work !!

earthdawn
January 15th, 2014, 11:51 PM
Beautiful pen !!

Fantastic work Ken :bump2:

betweenthelens
January 16th, 2014, 05:14 AM
Mesmerizingly beautiful!

drgoretex
January 16th, 2014, 05:32 AM
Great looking pen. I have turned several of these blanks and have not come across any voids. Are there specific colours that have the voids?

Tony

I have seen this with a different colours. The first time, I thought maybe just the batch, but it appears not. It is not all of them - I have had many blanks with no discernible voids too; but more often, those tiny white spots as I sand down and polish, which clean up to reveal the tiny voids. A few layers of CA, lightly returned and re-finished does the trick just fine, though.

Cheers,

Ken

GourmetPens
January 16th, 2014, 06:10 AM
God. This pen is out of this world.

Marc H
January 16th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Looks great. I have had a few of the lava blanks sitting in the studio for awhile now and seeing your pen is motivation to try them. Good to know about the possible voids, something I'll look out for.

InvisibleMan
January 16th, 2014, 10:46 PM
Looks great, Ken! And yes, blanks with swirls can get bubbly pretty easily. The longer you wait to pour the colors together, the better the separation and color pattern consistency, but more risk of bubbles - especially with Alumilite. It's a fine line. I tend to max out my pressure pot, and so far have been pretty lucky with the bubbles. But then again, most of my pours aren't really heavily swirl dependent.

klpeabody
January 17th, 2014, 05:41 AM
This pen is just beautiful. I always enjoy seeing your newest creations, Ken.

drgoretex
January 17th, 2014, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the info, Lyle! I kind of figured it was something like that. Certainly can't say anything negative about the artist who makes the blanks - they are strikingly beautiful (as are yours - I just have to find an excuse to start using the ones you sent me :-)), but it is just good to know about the little 'pit'falls (pun intended) ahead of time.

Cheers,

Ken

john
January 20th, 2014, 06:55 AM
I love it:hippie:

manojd
January 22nd, 2014, 11:18 AM
Ken,

that's a nice pen. Did you use two blanks for it? What do you do with the leftover material?

drgoretex
January 22nd, 2014, 12:15 PM
Ken,

that's a nice pen. Did you use two blanks for it? What do you do with the leftover material?

Thanks, Manojd!

I usually use two 5 inch blanks for my resin pens. Often have a few little pieces left over, and I just throw them in a bin. Once in a while, I use them to create an eye-jarring, complete monstrosity of a pen like this one:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/Custom%20Pens/Custom%20Fountain%20Pens/Designer%20Fountain%20Pens/IMG_7268.jpg

Admittedly though, these are not for everybody.... :blink:

Cheers,

Ken

Mortiana27
January 22nd, 2014, 01:31 PM
Admittedly though, these are not for everybody.... :blink:

The bold colors ... that is awesome! :applause: