PDA

View Full Version : Kaweco Liliput Fountain Pen Review

heath
January 16th, 2014, 12:10 PM
This is the Kaweco Liliput fountain pen. It is a small, all metal, clipless fountain pen. I have the silver version but it is also available in black and a new brass version will be available later this year. It is made to be a pocket pen. There is a small leather 2 pen sleeve made by Kaweco special for the Liliput. It is a bit thready on the cap end and when posting but I like the long threading because it feels secure in my pocket.

The one thing that I’ve read about the pen in the negative other than the long threads is the price. It’s $55 for what may seem like a small simple pen. Well, that’s exactly why it cost $55. Look around for another pen like it, there aren’t that many. In the world outside of fountain pens there is the Fisher Space pen which fills a similar gap. A big plus here as well is that Kaweco made it. There is a slim pocket pen by Lanbitou that used to be made by another company but I have one and after a week it is totaled. The Kaweco Liliput is all metal. It has a long thread which means it’s not coming apart in your pocket. It threads on to post which is nice because it is the only way to get the bulk of the cap to act as an extension with any sort of rigidity. There are other pens that are small and many that can be pocket pens, I’m thinking the Sport from Kaweco even, but the pure simplicity or structure and design here is obviously something people like and that’s why it isn’t a $15 pen. To me, the total package of style, function and what it allows you to do make it worth its price tag.

Another thing I really like about the pen is that it is available from EF all the way to Bold. I have the EF and like the idea of having a really fine nib on a pocket pen because I am likely to use it in a pocket notebook where real estate is at a premium. If I get another it will likely be a B nib because I also like the idea of having a compact pen that can still get a wet line down. My only concern here is that the Kaweco cartridges are quite small in comparison to some others. I am tempted to get the squeeze convertor but it hasn’t had the best reviews in terms of ink capacity either. If you have experience with the convertor let me know. It uses the same cartridges and convertor as the Kaweco Sport line which is a plus as well.

In comparison to some well known pens like the Lamy Safari and Pilot Metropolitan the Liliput measures about the same in length if posted as those un-posted. It’s plenty long for most hands. For me I haven’t had issues with the girth but it is a bit of a slimmer pen so you might want to avoid it if you only like thicker pens.

Finally to the performance of the pen. I can easily say that this is the smoothest EF nib I have ever used. I’ve not used all of them and I assume there are others that are smoother but I couldn’t be more pleased with this one. It’s not needle thin but it is fine enough to use on pocket notebooks that aren’t traditionally considered fountain pen friendly. In the end I would heartily recommend the Liliput to anyone wanting a sturdy metal pocket fountain pen.

-Heath
@WeThePPIL

For the rest of the images from the review you can click her to go to my blog: http://penpaperinkletter.com/kaweco-liliput-fountain-pen-review/ (http://penpaperinkletter.com/kaweco-liliput-fountain-pen-review/)

ethernautrix
January 16th, 2014, 01:39 PM
I've been eying the black version for a couple of years and always talked myself out of it ("I don't need another pen."), but a very smooth EF nib, you say? I might have to check it out.

I have the ballpoint Liliput. But I hardly ever use ballpoints. It works great for forms in multicate (not just duplicate or triplicate).

Good review. Thanks!

subramaniyam
January 16th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Great review. If I get one, the first thing I do will be to place it beside my Kim Jumbo and do a size comparison (and post it titled 'David and Goliath)! I'm planning to get a Classic Sport; it will be my first Kaweco. :-)

Regards,
Sub

Jeph
January 16th, 2014, 11:53 PM
My only real question: Is it big enough to accept a converter or are you stuck with cartridges?

kaisnowbird
January 17th, 2014, 06:11 AM
The Kawe-converter should fit, right?

heath
January 17th, 2014, 06:25 AM
I've actually been told NO since the review. I had found a site that claimed as much but according to one of my readers SBRE Brown tried and it didn't work. That being said, I can't confirm that either. I want to say I thought he tried the Montverde converter not the Kaweco squeeze one but again, I'm not certain.

Anyone here know 100% and actually have one?

KrazyIvan
January 17th, 2014, 09:45 AM
The space inside is just barely enough to fit a short international cartridge. You cannot fit a Monteverde mini converter in it. Well, you might but the plunger is going to be all the way down, defeating the purpose. I don't have mine anymore but I would guess the squeeze converter would not fit the diameter of the barrel.

from my review:

"There is no way you are going to fit a mini Monte Verde converter in this pen either. This pen is not meant for that. There is roughly 1/4" inch of space left in the barrel once the International Short Cartridge is installed. If you need extra ink, you carry extra cartridges with this pen. A bummer for some. I am indifferent about it because with the EF nib, you are not going to run out of ink that soon."

Jeph
January 17th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Bugger. I did not look like one would work. Thanks. It is still a nice little pen.

whych
January 17th, 2014, 04:35 PM
By all accounts the squeeze converter doesn't work that well, even in a Sport, so you are perhaps better off refilling your empty cartridge with a syringe.

kaisnowbird
January 17th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Slightly off topic - I usually fill the squeeze converter with a syringe and would often prefer it to cartridge. In case a nib dries up, it's much easier to prime the nib/feed quickly.

ethernautrix
January 18th, 2014, 05:44 PM
So guess who stopped by the local fine pen shop and saw the black Kaweco Liliput in the display case AGAIN (for the THIRD time) and finally looked closely at the nib. If it said EF, that was the sign to buy it.

EF it was, and mine it is.

I've waffled over buying this pen for a couple of years (having seen it at JetPens - and buying the ballpoint as a compromise, cos I didn't need any more fountain pens, as if I used ballpoints frequently enough to need one, as if I didn't already have at least half-a-dozen fine ballpoints (I'm talking Montblanc Agatha Christie and Sheaffer Connaisseur)), and, heath, your review pushed me over at last, what with talking about how smooth the nib is.

And it is.

I'm very excited about this little fountain pen and the ballpoint AND the smart little case the two live in now.

Ink is Conway Stewart Kingsand (a Diamine "sub-brand" - at least Diamine is also on the label]. Used a syringe and an empty international cartridge and it was good to go!

Thanks, heath!

dneal
March 29th, 2014, 12:34 AM
Nice review, and you're right that this is a ridiculously smooth EF nib. I have both a silver and black one with the little 2-pen sleeve. Together and in the sleeve, the whole package is about the size of a disposable lighter.

I love that the Kaweco nibs/feeds are friction-fit into the section, allowing for simple adjustment of the flow if desired.

ArnieJB
March 29th, 2014, 06:51 AM
Very nice. Now I need to get one! :) I have been using an Al Sport (raw aluminum) for my weekend pocket carry, but I like that this one is narrower and will sit in my already crowded pocket even better. I would get the black one (medium).

Polyhistor
May 21st, 2014, 01:01 PM
Wherever I look I read about smooth Kaweco EFs – and the one in my Sport is no exception from the rule either. The Liliput is right next on my list. For roughly 40€ this is a no-brainer. Thanks for your good review, heath! Like your blog too.

7188photo
July 14th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Waiting for the brass version right now, which will hopefully be here later this week. Was giving it some days of thought, since it does have its price, but in the end went for it because I'm carrying my fountain pen around all the time (so small and sturdy is a plus) and because I'm a sucker for everything brass and leather - just love materials that age with you.

Thanks for posting your reviews here - that, and a Youtube video that explained all available converter options for the Liliput helped a lot with my decision :)

ArnieJB
July 14th, 2014, 03:54 PM
This one with a medium nib rides comfortably in the jeans pocket.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/15/asu9u2ed.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/15/pegumajy.jpg

reprieve
July 14th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Waiting for the brass version right now, which will hopefully be here later this week.

I have the regular silver version (bought after reading this review! :)) and recently acquired the new brass wave version, and I adore the brass wave. I love the extra weight and the tactility of the brass. It feels especially sturdy and I'm not afraid to toss it in my bag or pocket. You won't regret it.

7188photo
July 16th, 2014, 07:33 AM
I have the regular silver version (bought after reading this review! :)) and recently acquired the new brass wave version, and I adore the brass wave. I love the extra weight and the tactility of the brass. It feels especially sturdy and I'm not afraid to toss it in my bag or pocket. You won't regret it.

Awesome, now I'm even more looking forward to it! Took me some time to decide between the wave and the normal one, but went for the normal one. Bit worried about the grip on it, but since I have small hands it might be fine. So excited.

GING GING
July 30th, 2014, 08:52 PM
That's as small as the sports, right?

heath
July 31st, 2014, 11:26 AM
That's as small as the sports, right?

Smaller. Here's a pic with both in it.

http://i1.wp.com/penpaperinkletter.com/wp-content/uploads/TWSBI-mini-Clear-stub-italic-50.jpg?resize=246%2C246

http://i1.wp.com/penpaperinkletter.com/wp-content/uploads/TWSBI-mini-Clear-stub-italic-51.jpg?resize=246%2C246

alc3261
July 31st, 2014, 12:06 PM
By all accounts the squeeze converter doesn't work that well, even in a Sport, so you are perhaps better off refilling your empty cartridge with a syringe.

You are right it doesn't (I have tried it)!!

stevekolt
July 31st, 2014, 08:53 PM
I have it in smooth brass and LOVE it! See the exchange for the Al-Sports that this little beauty has displaced! :)

7188photo
August 1st, 2014, 01:48 AM
I refill the Liliput using a syringe, as well. It's a no-mess easy and cheap method. On YouTube there's a nice video how to make your own squeeze converter easily (and cheap) - will probably do that once I have a bit time on my hands!

Ryliko
March 18th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Apologies to anyone who doesn't like the resurrection of old threads.

Thanks for the review Heath. Recently, I've been going back and forth trying to weigh out the cost vs value of the liliput. Your review has definitely helped clarify my decision and I particularly appreciate your point about the smoothness of the EF nib (I'm generally not an EF kinda person but I share your views regarding pocket pens and what nib size would be appropriate). It's been difficult up till now to get a firm idea on Kaweco nibs as I've heard of how their nib sizes actually vary. I can only hope that when my copper liliput arrives, the EF would be just as nice as what it seems according to your review.

Oh and on a separate point, the local Kaweco distributor in my area, who has two liliputs himself, responded to my specific question of the kaweco converters by saying that Kaweco have a new version of the squeeze converter that fits perfectly into the Liliput. He specifically said that the converter fits naturally (the barrel was not forced on). While ultimately this is based on his word (pictures can't exactly confirm it), I do trust him as he knows his stuff, is (like us) extremely fanatical of fountain pens, and is the only authorised dealer of Kaweco in our country.

So I just want to put it out there for anyone who may be interested, regardless of the effectiveness of the squeeze-bladder converter, that there may indeed be an updated version that will fit the Liliput.

writingrav
March 18th, 2015, 01:46 PM
Apologies to anyone who doesn't like the resurrection of old threads.

Thanks for the review Heath. Recently, I've been going back and forth trying to weigh out the cost vs value of the liliput. Your review has definitely helped clarify my decision and I particularly appreciate your point about the smoothness of the EF nib (I'm generally not an EF kinda person but I share your views regarding pocket pens and what nib size would be appropriate). It's been difficult up till now to get a firm idea on Kaweco nibs as I've heard of how their nib sizes actually vary. I can only hope that when my copper liliput arrives, the EF would be just as nice as what it seems according to your review.

Oh and on a separate point, the local Kaweco distributor in my area, who has two liliputs himself, responded to my specific question of the kaweco converters by saying that Kaweco have a new version of the squeeze converter that fits perfectly into the Liliput. He specifically said that the converter fits naturally (the barrel was not forced on). While ultimately this is based on his word (pictures can't exactly confirm it), I do trust him as he knows his stuff, is (like us) extremely fanatical of fountain pens, and is the only authorised dealer of Kaweco in our country.

So I just want to put it out there for anyone who may be interested, regardless of the effectiveness of the squeeze-bladder converter, that there may indeed be an updated version that will fit the Liliput.
Can you provide a link or any other information on this potential new converter?

Ryliko
March 18th, 2015, 02:04 PM
Unfortunately I have nothing but the seller/shop's website and his word (and both don't exactly help in this situation). I'll speak to him again and possibly ask if he could do a video or ascertain in writing a confirmation from Kaweco themselves? I know that Kaweco's website still only shows that the squeeze converter fits the sports series with no mention on the liliput series.

I'll chat to Jesse, the seller, again to try get some substantive information. Maybe I'll just buy one of the converters myself to test for you guys, although I'll probably have no use of that converter if it is as ineffective to use as some people say.

elaineb
March 19th, 2015, 10:37 AM
I have a couple of the new squeeze converters, a new Skyline Sport, and a ten-year-old traditional Sport.

The converter did not fit in the old Sport -- the barrel was just a hair too narrow to accept the metal collar at the top of the converter. I pulled the nib and feed out, to see how they fit into the converter. (The end of the feed fit into the hole perfectly, no problem there.) When I reassembled the pen and tried the converter once more, I could see that it ALMOST fit. Close enough that I was tempted to sand the inside of the barrel just a tad to allow the collar to slide in that last fraction of a millimeter.

I then tried the converter on the new Skyline, and it fit perfectly. Just slid right in, seated solidly, and filled... well, it filled okay, but I needed to squeeze a few times. (A sac that small doesn't have a lot of suction.)

It's clear to me that Kaweco has changed the size of the barrel opening in newer pens specifically to allow use of the converter. I can't imagine, if your Kaweco dealer confirms he is using them with his Lilliputs, that the converter wouldn't fit them as well.

I prefer the squeeze converter over reusing an empty ink cartridge. The opening on the converter that fits over the pen feed feels like sturdier plastic than what's used in a disposable cartridge, and the metal collar gives it extra support. (My problem with refilled cartridges in the past has been that the hole eventually loosens up and you lose the tight seal that keeps ink flow consistent.) Even if I end up refilling the converter by syringe, I still think the $4 expense is worthwhile for a part with long-term durability.