PDA

View Full Version : Kaweco Sport Chess Print Fountain Pen Review

heath
January 16th, 2014, 12:13 PM
This is the Kaweco Sport Fountain pen in the black chess print style. It has a gold colored writing on the cap and gold end cap logo and a gold colored nib. Posted it is short and looks to be more of a pocket pen but posted it is about the same length as standard fountain pens unposted. I must also admit that before seeing the pen in person the Kaweco Sport line to me always looked bulky with its faceted sides on the cap. In reality it is a slick looking pen that looks and feels no thicker or bulkier than most other fountain pens.

Once posted the pen is quite comfortable but unposted it is to short for me to use. It screws on to cap but is just friction posted. The fine nib I have is smooth but not any more so than other brands in the price range generally speaking. In other words, it did not blow me away as much as the EF nib on the Kaweco Liliput did that I reviewed earlier in the week. It’s just under half as much though so I have no complaints. I do indeed like the look of the black and gold combo but one thing to think about is Kaweco only produces the Calligraphy class nibs in silver so if you want to put one on this pen the nib won’t match the accents.

The grip section is slightly concave and comfortable to hold but it is a slick plastic so keep that in mind. The balance of the pen is good but it is quite a lightweight pen so it doesn’t really feel all that different holding it high or low on the pen as far as balance. The chess print design actually makes a huge difference in my opinion as far as the look of the pen. It takes it to a level beyond the standard sport in my opinion.

I did enjoy using and writing with the pen but every now and then at the top of a letter it wouldn’t put much ink down. I don’t know if it is because the pen is so light and I wasn’t putting much weight into it but if I pushed into the paper just a bit more it remedied the situation.

This pen uses the Kaweco cartridges which are a bit smaller than most so keep that in mind as well. The Sport can also take a small squeeze converter but it is also very limited in ink quantity so in either case you will not want to plan a heavy writing week without access to additional cartridges or a bottle to refill the converter.

Finally, this pen exceeded my expectations. The only downside is that I think with the chess pattern it looks to nice to use as a pocket pen because the plastic likely won’t hold up well against pocket knives and such but I plan to keep it inked and in my regular rotation regardless.

-Heath
WeThePPIL

For the rest of the images from the review you can click her to go to my blog: http://penpaperinkletter.com/kaweco-sport-chess-print-fountain-pen-review/ (http://penpaperinkletter.com/kaweco-sport-chess-print-fountain-pen-review/)

Bogon07
January 20th, 2014, 04:52 PM
I like the subtlety of the chess board print pattern in black.

heath
January 20th, 2014, 05:07 PM
I like the subtlety of the chess board print pattern in black.

Me to. It takes a plastic pen and gives it a bit of class.

whych
January 20th, 2014, 05:34 PM
I got a Chess pattern one in blue. Was a bit disappointed that the pattern didn't show that well on the blue as it does on the black.
I have used it for a week or two, and it has since been to Canada and back and now to Australia, travelling with an ink cart in the pen. No leaks or spills along the way.
Amazing pens, you can shake them, drop them or otherwise ill treat them and as long as the cap is screwed on, no leaks.
I later got a 2nd user one that came with the wrong Kaweco nib (too long) which I replaced with a standard medium Bock one of the correct size. Writes great.

If you like the modern sports, you should try some of the older piston fill models. They are slightly thinner and came in a variety of nib styles over the years. Oldest model I have is from the 50's and performs just as well as the modern pens, but the nibs are better (for me).

Jeph
January 21st, 2014, 06:58 AM
...If you like the modern sports, you should try some of the older piston fill models. They are slightly thinner and came in a variety of nib styles over the years. Oldest model I have is from the 50's and performs just as well as the modern pens, but the nibs are better (for me).

Very much this.

If you keep your eyes open you can even get them for a comprable price. I think I have 3 now, and I agree that you get all of the goodness of the new pens, plus some very nice nibs, plus a piston filler instead of cartridges. So, like the modern ones only moar guuder!

heath
January 21st, 2014, 10:25 AM
...If you like the modern sports, you should try some of the older piston fill models. They are slightly thinner and came in a variety of nib styles over the years. Oldest model I have is from the 50's and performs just as well as the modern pens, but the nibs are better (for me).

Very much this.

If you keep your eyes open you can even get them for a comprable price. I think I have 3 now, and I agree that you get all of the goodness of the new pens, plus some very nice nibs, plus a piston filler instead of cartridges. So, like the modern ones only moar guuder!

Ok, Where do I start?

Jeph
January 21st, 2014, 11:23 AM
/sigh Here I go giving away secrets.
Haunt the evilBay and look for the ones with the ink windows (not the ICE series though) and those should all be piston fillers with 14K nibs. I can't think of an exception to that.
Maybe the Art series, and although not piston fillers they did have 14K nibs.

Non-pen people frequently don't pick up on the difference and just list it as a "Kaweco Sport" which it is, but...

whych
January 21st, 2014, 12:21 PM
Since it doesn't really belong here, I have given you some links in a new thread here:
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/5631-Vintage-Kaweco-Sport-pens?p=62342#post62342