PDA

View Full Version : Hello fellow fountain pen geeks!

csfontenot
January 16th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Hello! I wanted to introduce myself. I recently moved back to the US after spending 2 years in Vienna, Austria. While there I apprenticed at one of the few remaining walk in fountain pen repair shops, Wiener Füllfeder Werkstatt (Vienna Fountainpen Workshop). While there I learned to repair and restore vintage (pre-1960) fountain pens and learned a great deal about European (and American) fountain pens. Upon returning to the US I have setup an online store specializing in vintage European pens, I also do repairs but the US is more of a DIY market! I invite you to come check out my store and let me know what you think (and maybe do a little shopping!). I look forward to being a member of this forum and increasing my knowledge about the fountain pen world. If you have any questions I am willing to try and provide you with any answers I can.

www.scholarandgardener.com (http://www.scholarandgardener.com)

Have a great day!

MisterBoll
January 16th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Welcome. Nice web site.

I have a question for you. When I look at fountain pens one of the first things I like to know is the nib size and I've noticed more and more (especially with for sale ads on here) how the listing omits any mention of nib size (but will mention gold).

Are people not interested in nib size and more concerned with the model of pen or are these being purchased by collectors who dare not write with them?

85AKbN
January 16th, 2014, 06:12 PM
:welcome:

aragornelessar86
January 16th, 2014, 06:23 PM
I second MisterBoll's question. I can't imagine why people don't post nib size, but many do not.

heath
January 16th, 2014, 06:30 PM

cwent2
January 16th, 2014, 06:40 PM

kaisnowbird
January 16th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Welcome and good to have you here! :grouphug:

Jeph
January 16th, 2014, 11:50 PM

earthdawn
January 17th, 2014, 12:00 AM

Nice to have you join us

Tangster
January 17th, 2014, 04:09 AM

csfontenot
January 17th, 2014, 11:54 AM
I personally am not as concerned with nib size. However I see that more people are, so I think that I may go back and identify sizes. I personally am more concerned with the model and look of the pen. When I was much younger and learning calligraphy I learned that you learn to write with the nib, so for me personally I allow the nib to direct me in how to write with it. I guess that is not the case for everyone, so I will work on identifying nib sizes on the website.

csfontenot
January 20th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Welcome. Nice web site.

I have a question for you. When I look at fountain pens one of the first things I like to know is the nib size and I've noticed more and more (especially with for sale ads on here) how the listing omits any mention of nib size (but will mention gold).

Are people not interested in nib size and more concerned with the model of pen or are these being purchased by collectors who dare not write with them?

I wanted to let everyone know that I have put up writing samples on our website. www.scholarandgardener.com (http://www.scholarandgardener.com) I also believe that the vast majority of our pens have 'Fine' nib sizes, with a few being 'Extra Fine'. I hope this answers your questions with this matter. I also want to add that if there are questions about a specific pen on our site, do not hesitate in asking. I will do my best in answering and provide any information (or photos, or samples) you may need.