PDA

View Full Version : Diamine's 30ml plastic ink bottles

I like mango pudding
January 17th, 2014, 12:05 AM
I recently bought about 10 of these 30ml Diamine inks. These come in black plastic bottles. I know that plastic can, over time leach out the inside contents and evaporate the ink in the bottle. Should I transfer them all into glass bottles? How long will it take for the ink inside the Diamine bottles to start evaporating or leaching out of the plastic?

Paul-H
January 17th, 2014, 03:02 AM
Hi

Not an expert but I suspect it would take years.

Paul

Malcolm
January 17th, 2014, 03:35 AM
Again no expert, but...If you have an ink in a 30ml bottle for so long that it's evaporating through the plastic, I'd say that you aren't using that ink often enough to worry about it.

Don't we use plastic wrap to help prevent evaporation?

Where's a chemist when you need one?

klpeabody
January 17th, 2014, 05:46 AM
I have had a few of these plastic 30 ml bottles for the last couple of years, and have never had any kind of problem with them.

gwgtaylor
January 17th, 2014, 06:18 AM
Worst case they can be topped off with distilled water and bob's your uncle

heath
January 17th, 2014, 07:04 AM
I have a chemist friend who takes people to the wood shed every time they decide to talk about plastics leaching from bottles (The BPA controversy really got him on a roll). His reasoning (via my paraphrase) is that it, if any transfer even happens, it is so minimal that it isn't going to alter the chemical composition of whatever is in the bottle. An exception might be highly acidic liquids though I guess.

Laura N
January 17th, 2014, 07:12 AM
There are many different kinds of plastics used for bottles. I am sure Diamine will have chosen a plastic that is suitable -- that won't react with the ink and isn't permeable.

I have gone entirely to the 30ml size for my Diamine stash, and I haven't had an issue, FWIW.

I like mango pudding
January 17th, 2014, 10:37 AM
I have a chemist friend who takes people to the wood shed every time they decide to talk about plastics leaching from bottles (The BPA controversy really got him on a roll). His reasoning (via my paraphrase) is that it, if any transfer even happens, it is so minimal that it isn't going to alter the chemical composition of whatever is in the bottle. An exception might be highly acidic liquids though I guess.

hehh hehh.

My brother is a professional chemist (environmental chemistry) and he has a differring opinion on the effects of BPA has on the human body. I'll ask him about these bottles next time I see him.

I'm more concerned not about the plastic's chemicals leaching into the bottle contents, but mainly the evaporation or loss of ink THROUGH the plastic walls through osmosis.

Mags
February 2nd, 2014, 08:46 AM
Worst case they can be topped off with distilled water and bob's your uncle

Hey. How many nephews and nieces will I be having! LOL

john
February 2nd, 2014, 09:11 AM
I owned more than 20 bottles of the 30ml Diamine ink over a year. I don't have any issue from the bottles. My Diamine ink plastic bottles are clear not the black plastic.