PDA

View Full Version : Are there any known problems with mixing Noodler's Black and Waterman Serenity Blue?

rdcalhoon
January 18th, 2014, 03:29 PM
I just absentmindedly topped off a half empty converter in my Lamy Vista, adding Waterman Serenity Blue to Noodler's Black. I had intended to refill a different pen with the Blue.

Should I just enjoy the ride and use it up writing stuff or does someone out there have actual experience with these two inks mixed that tells me to flush it out pronto?

I don't mind keeping it in and watching it since I use this pen every day.
I'm cheap enough to mind dumping it out if not necessary.
And I'd like to see the color once the ink in the converter reaches the feed.

dr.grace
January 18th, 2014, 06:26 PM
I've done worse things! But in this case, I don't know what would happen. The pH of these inks is somewhat different. The thing to watch out for is precipitates that could gunk up your feed and nib. It's better to mix ink samples in a vial first to see if there are any unhelpful reactions. So to be on the safe side, I'd suggest flushing the pen and converter, to avoid the possibility that you'll have to disassemble the pen and clean it ultrasonically, etc. OTOH, if you feel adventurous, write with it for a while and let us know what happens.

reprieve
January 19th, 2014, 08:48 AM
I've never mixed that particular combination, but I have mixed Noodler's Black and Montblanc Royal Blue without any issues. That's my standard home-brewed blue-black. I've also added a few drops of Noodler's Black to Sheaffer Skrip Red to attempt to create a red-black (it didn't work, color wise, but the ink mixture itself didn't have any problems).

If you use the pen every day, you'll probably use up the ink before precipitates form. Worse case, the pen will clog and you'll have to flush or soak the nib and feed thoroughly.

kaisnowbird
January 19th, 2014, 09:12 AM
If you use the pen every day, you'll probably use up the ink before precipitates form. Worse case, the pen will clog and you'll have to flush or soak the nib and feed thoroughly.

I agree. Besides, you are using it in Vista, right? That's very easy to monitor and not too hard to clean up if the inks react badly.

ethernautrix
January 19th, 2014, 10:10 AM
I guess I hadn't flushed a pen thoroughly of Noodler's Black or Walnut - probably was a Noodler's ink - before filling it with Waterman Bleu Mystere. Suddenly, for the first time ever, I had trouble with the ink flow. I think it was the Montblanc 100-Year or one of my Nakayas. It was a pen that never had an ink flow problem - after many inks and many years of use.

After feeling stumped for a few minutes or a half-hour, I realized that a thorough flushing was in order. The Waterman Bleu Mystere has a red sheen and changes from dark blue to a pretty teal, so I figured it must be a high-maintenance ink. I'm using this ink in a vintage Hardtmuth Studio with a vintage steel flex nib. No problems with ink flow (I'd cleaned the pen very, very well), and if I change the ink, I'm braced for the extending cleaning it will probably need.

rdcalhoon
January 19th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Next day and I haven't seen any problems. The mix is a dark blue if I write with no pressure at all or upside down. It's a blue-black with moderate pressure. Pretty nice, actually. I'll keep it going another day.