PDA

View Full Version : new pen, returned for skipping, reasonable turnaround time?

85AKbN
January 19th, 2014, 09:10 AM
New M800 (fine) purchased from a site that advertises testing / modification by a nibmeister for smooth flow. After receipt, inked with what I think of as safe inks; Parker 4001 Royal blue, and Visconti blue, it skipped periodically. Called, they said send it in. They received it early last week - they had the fp for at least 5 business days. I have not had a chance to call, but I e-mailed them twice - no response.

Shouldn't they have taken care of it by now?

jar
January 19th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Were they away at shows?

Paul-H
January 19th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Parker 4001, that's your problem right there ;)

85AKbN
January 19th, 2014, 09:33 AM
Were they away at shows?
That may be it.

Same problem with Visconti blue though.

jar
January 19th, 2014, 09:59 AM
That may be it.

Same problem with Visconti blue though.

Visconti Blue is also a fairly dry ink. Try some Waterman Blue.

DrChumley
January 19th, 2014, 10:24 AM
I bought a new Conway Stewart Wellington a while back that had some problems, and they had me ship it in for adjustment. It took just shy of two months to get the pen back. Of course, CS uses Mike Masuyama for their nib work, so two months probably wasn't all that long a wait. (But man, was it worth it!)

Jeph
January 19th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Pelikan 4001? Dry. Visconti? Supposed to be dry. If you are dealing with one of the heavies in the industry they are probably at the Philly pen show. You should figure at least a couple of days on either side of the show for travel, (un)packing and generally getting stuff in order. You should hear something late next week I would think.

85AKbN
January 19th, 2014, 11:35 AM
I wonder if Asa-Gao would perform better. To be honest, this if my first time using VB and PRB 4001, ever, in any fp.

dr.grace
January 19th, 2014, 12:38 PM
IMO, pens shouldn't skip, even with dry-writing inks.

Chemyst
January 19th, 2014, 01:40 PM
New M800 (fine) purchased from a site that advertises testing / modification by a nibmeister for smooth flow. After receipt, inked with what I think of as safe inks; Parker 4001 Royal blue, and Visconti blue, it skipped periodically. Called, they said send it in. They received it early last week - they had the fp for at least 5 business days. I have not had a chance to call, but I e-mailed them twice - no response.

If it has to go back out to a nibmeister and get in the queue, then that could take several weeks or a few months. I would be surprised if the nibmeister has even received it yet after 5 days.

PeppWaves03
January 19th, 2014, 01:51 PM
That's crazy. I wouldn't stand for that customer service. If they are away at pen shows they should've have an auto reply telling you that. Since it's a new pen that's being returned, the pen should go at the front of the line. Personally, I would request a refund ASAP. Way to many other places to buy than having to deal with the issues you are dealing with.

Koyote
January 19th, 2014, 08:58 PM
Okay, let's see: they got it early last week, have had it for five whole business days, and already you are worried enough to post here?

Are you aware that there was a major pen show this past weekend (Philadelphia), and that the vendor from whom you likely bought the pen (Binder) is there?

I'd say it's a little premature to be worried.

Koyote
January 19th, 2014, 09:00 PM

If it has to go back out to a nibmeister and get in the queue, then that could take several weeks or a few months. I would be surprised if the nibmeister has even received it yet after 5 days.

The two main people who sell "nibmeistered" pens -- Binder and Mottishaw -- do not put such new pens back in the queue -- such pens move to the front. Don't make the OP more nervous than he/she is already.

welch
January 20th, 2014, 07:33 PM

The two main people who sell "nibmeistered" pens -- Binder and Mottishaw -- do not put such new pens back in the queue -- such pens move to the front. Don't make the OP more nervous than he/she is already.

...and Richard Binder and John Mottishaw are among the most trustworthy people in any business.

mhosea
January 20th, 2014, 08:04 PM
The Philadelphia Pen Show would have taken up all of the last 3 business days, Thursday and Monday for travel, Friday at the show, maybe even another for prep. Also factor in their shipping schedule (which probably isn't every day of the week). Five business days seems like a long time until you break down how the timing probably worked in this case.

85AKbN
January 20th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Got a chance to call and work is done, they will ship tomorrow.

Koyote
January 20th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Got a chance to call and work is done, they will ship tomorrow.

Let us know how it writes! I am betting it will be worth the wait.

PeppWaves03
January 21st, 2014, 06:31 AM
Any chance you'll reveal the retailer?

85AKbN
January 21st, 2014, 09:16 AM
So, new pen, problem with skipping, I am charged $8.00 for return shipping back for repair. FP is fixed, I am now charged $17.00 to get my pen back, and am told that this is the same across the industry: buyer pays return shipping on repair on a new pen under warranty. Is this true?

mhosea
January 21st, 2014, 09:56 AM
So, new pen, problem with skipping, I am charged $8.00 for return shipping back for repair. FP is fixed, I am now charged $17.00 to get my pen back, and am told that this is the same across the industry: buyer pays return shipping on repair on a new pen under warranty. Is this true?

I don't have a lot of experience with warranty repairs in the pen industry, just a few cases with Richard Binder. He didn't charge me shipping to get the item back to me. I paid for shipping from me; he paid for shipping from him. FWIW, that's my experience in other industries as well, except that some retailers are even better about returns of defective items. Paying shipping both ways would be a standard for non-warranty repairs, of course, or else the cost of return shipping simply has to be folded into the cost of repair, i.e., 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

KrazyIvan
January 21st, 2014, 10:09 AM
I agree with mhosea. Return shipping should be on you but the cost for shipping from the retailer/warranty site to your address should be on their dime. I have dealt with electronic item warranty repair and that is what I have experienced. One pen retailer that I had exchange my pen sent me my new pen with a return shipping label (insured and track-able). They just told me to pack the old pen in the packaging of the new pen, slap the label on the box and drop it in any USPS mail drop.

Koyote
January 21st, 2014, 10:16 AM
It varies, but I would not expect to pay for the repaired item to be returned to me.

Buy your next pen from someone else, if you don't like it. For what it's worth, I have had mixed results buying pens/nibs from nibmeisters, and now won't really pay much extra for the privilege. As long as I can return a pen, I will buy from wherever is cheapest.

PeppWaves03
January 21st, 2014, 11:05 AM
I would expect each person sending the pen to pay their own shipping.

Cookies
January 21st, 2014, 11:25 AM

Like the others I would find that unacceptable. You should not be expected to pay for anything if the product is defective OOTB. I have never had to pay to return a defective or incorrectly sent item. All around this sounds like a disappointing customer service experience. I would appreciate knowing which site you purchased from as I would like to steer clear of them.

jar
January 21st, 2014, 12:04 PM

Perhaps a misunderstanding. I suggest a nice email reminding them it is a new pen bought from them.

85AKbN
January 21st, 2014, 07:33 PM
Full disclosure.

I purchased a ********** FP on the day before Christmas Eve and had it in my hand on Christmas Eve. Wow. Speed of light shipping. It was given as a gift on Christmas day and recipient requested an exchange for a Pelikan M800 (for me) two days later, per return policy. ******** price ($XXX.00), M800 $XXX.00, difference $30.00 credit). I returned the ********* in pristine condition, as I received it and received no feedback on the product being received as it was shipped, new, in box. I received the M800 and proceeded to write with it and discovered the periodic skipping. Called and was told to send it back. Asked who paid shipping, I was told I would incur the cost. Asked if they could use the $30.00 credit for the return shipping. They told me that was fine.

This is not a big deal with me. I want to continued to do business with them. As stated in the op, this is just an rfi.

eta: Resolved (Above and beyond the call...). :)

Please lock.