PDA

View Full Version : So how about those Pilot Custom Heritage 92s?

Flounder
January 19th, 2014, 09:23 AM
I'm getting pretty close to picking up a heritage 92, what's the general consensus on these? Would you recommend them? Is there anything to watch out for?

Watching Dan's review (http://fpgeeks.com/2013/08/video-pilot-custom-heritage-92-fountain-pen-review/), the ease with which the piston knob turns has made me a bit cautious. Any chance of it turning while in a pocket?

I'm also trying to get a handle of the pen's size, using the dimensions and the comparison chart on Richard Binder's site. Is it really smaller than a Parker 51 (both unposted)?

ilangai
January 19th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Well.. i always carry my 92 in my shirt pocket and have never turned the knob "accidentally". Indeed it turns smooth, but when closed it's tight (at list with my pen).

I have the FM nib which is more of a western F nib, and i love the flow and line width.. Can even give some line variations, but it is NOT a Flex or Semi Flex nib.

About the pen size, i don't have a 51, but i can tell you it is a bit taller than a Pelikan M600 and about a 1.5mm shorter than a Visconti Rembrandt. The width of the barrel is the same as a Pelikan M400.

Hope that helped in any way..

dannzeman
January 19th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Just to clarify, the piston knob locks down tight. It's when you're actually filling the pen when you'll feel little resistance during operation.

Robert
January 19th, 2014, 11:44 AM
I've had mine for almost three weeks now, and I really like it. I don't think the piston knob is at all likely to turn in your pocket, but if you're concerned place the pen in a pen sheath of some sort. I chose a broad nib, which produces a line similar to a Western medium.

Flounder
January 19th, 2014, 01:18 PM
That's reassuring, thanks guys!

Tiggercat
January 19th, 2014, 03:33 PM
I have one, and have never had an issue. 100% reliable, smooth as can be, and no piston problems.

The Good Captain
January 19th, 2014, 04:26 PM
Great pens and I've Diamine Asa Blue in mine. F nib and a good writer.

Oncdoc
January 19th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Any fine point Japanese pen fans out there like the fine medium as well?

dannzeman
January 19th, 2014, 05:43 PM

I'm also trying to get a handle of the pen's size, using the dimensions and the comparison chart on Richard Binder's site. Is it really smaller than a Parker 51 (both unposted)?
Here's some comparison shots:

Woody
January 19th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Great pen. Holds lots of ink. Smooth gold nib.

Oncdoc
January 19th, 2014, 06:52 PM
They say it's a gold nib but it's silver color no?

dannzeman
January 19th, 2014, 06:55 PM
They say it's a gold nib but it's silver color no?

It's a rhodium plated gold nib.

Oncdoc
January 19th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Ah. I see... Like I said I'm new to this obsession.

Flounder
January 20th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Thanks Dan, that's a really helpful set of photos. Going by the distance from the clutch ring the distal phalanx of my index finger usually meets the 51 unposted, I should just about be okay with the 92.

I think that should do me... Oh yes one more question - posting. I typically don't, preferring a nib weighted to neutral balance. Does the 92's cap affect balance much? Again, say in relation to a 51s lustraloy or rolled gold cap?

I really appreciate your input everyone.

Robert
January 20th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Oh yes one more question - posting. I typically don't, preferring a nib weighted to neutral balance. Does the 92's cap affect balance much?

Not in my experience. The 92 is a light pen - my digital scale indicates 21 grams, including a full load of ink. The cap itself is a mere 8.1 grams.

Oncdoc
January 20th, 2014, 05:09 PM
How is the fine medium nib on this?

Robert
January 20th, 2014, 06:30 PM
How is the fine medium nib on this?

0.36mm, according to nibs.com. Look here for more information:

http://www.nibs.com/TippingSizespage.htm

Flounder
January 21st, 2014, 10:48 AM
I went ahead and ordered a smoke 92, B nib. Thanks for answering all my questions chaps and chapettes. Really looking forward to my first Pilot!

Koyote
January 21st, 2014, 10:52 AM
I went ahead and ordered a smoke 92, B nib. Thanks for answering all my questions chaps and chapettes. Really looking forward to my first Pilot!

Let us know how you like it. I'm thinking about one of those, too. Probably a broad, like yours.

Flounder
January 21st, 2014, 10:58 AM
Will do. It's coming direct from Japan by EMS, so may take a wee while. I've an old shut-off valve Japanese eyedropper on the way too, so February shoudl be an interesting month for FPs :)

Oncdoc
January 21st, 2014, 10:06 PM
I ordered a demonstrater blue fm nib as well. Will post pics soon

Flounder
January 22nd, 2014, 12:20 PM
Coolness. What was the deciding factor for you?

Oncdoc
January 22nd, 2014, 05:51 PM
Pilot nibs. Size. Piston filler. Blue in color. Got it now.

Oncdoc
January 22nd, 2014, 06:33 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/23/mymysajy.jpg

Got it.

ilangai
January 22nd, 2014, 09:36 PM
That was fast.. Congrats.
Got the same one, nib/color, use it everyday. Enjoy!

Oncdoc
January 22nd, 2014, 10:21 PM
Thanks will ink it someday soon

Flounder
January 23rd, 2014, 10:15 AM
Wow that was fast!

Flounder
January 31st, 2014, 11:01 AM
The Heritage 92 has arrived! Are the two areas at the section mouth (circled in green) normal? I can't tell if they're scratches, stress marks, just remnants of the thread sealant circled in purple, or what. Put my mind at rest, Pilot users!

Flounder
February 1st, 2014, 10:03 AM
I found a photo of one that looks exactly the same as mine, so it's probably just how they come. Disregard!

reprieve
February 1st, 2014, 12:09 PM
Yes, mine looks just like that, Flounder. I just received my clear 92, broad nib, a couple of weeks ago and have been using it every day. It's a great writer and a really nice size for my hand!

Robert
February 1st, 2014, 04:33 PM
I just received my clear 92, broad nib, a couple of weeks ago and have been using it every day. It's a great writer and a really nice size for my hand!

And don't you love the way the ink shows so nicely within the clear barrel? I've got mine loaded with Iroshizuku syo-ro.

kaisnowbird
February 2nd, 2014, 04:41 AM
And don't you love the way the ink shows so nicely within the clear barrel? I've got mine loaded with Iroshizuku syo-ro.

I do and I'm so glad that I got the clear one. The smoke one is very tempting too, though. I might have to buy one eventually.

reprieve
February 2nd, 2014, 07:03 AM
I was torn between the clear and the orange. I went for the clear, and I'm so glad I did. I've got an olive green mix of Iroshizuku Chiku-rin and Ina-ho in mine and it sloshes around in the barrel so prettily.

Tiggercat
February 2nd, 2014, 09:03 AM
My OCD forces me to use Iroshizuku asa gao in my blue (asa gao) 92.

jde
February 2nd, 2014, 09:46 AM
I've a blue with an FM nib. It's one of the nicest piston pens ever, IMHO. The nib is ridiculously wonderful... periodically I think, "I've too many... I don't need this 92," and then I write with it and... well, it's still in my tiny pen hoard.