PDA

View Full Version : Desk Pen by Nakaya, Kanji by Ernest Shin

ethernautrix
January 19th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Sometimes I mention that Ernest Shin does maki-e kanji, that instead of waiting six months for a Nakaya that is custom only in that I want one kanji character on it, I can order the pen from nibs.com and send the pen to Ernest Shin for the kanji character, and the turn-around time is about 1/10th of Nakaya's.

Here then is what Ernest Shin's kanji ("miyako") looks like (because I get asked this when I mention the above):

Here is Ernest Shin's website (with contact information) (he doesn't know I'm posting this, and I haven't bought any new Nakayas since the last two that he "tattooed" a year or so ago, but if I do buy another Nakaya and want a kanji on it, I would contact him): www.hakuminurushi.com

kia
January 19th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Ernest Shin does some wonderful work. If I get another fine urushi pen, I plan to go through Edison and Ernest, for a custom pen all the way around.

earthdawn
January 19th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Ohhhhh BABY !!!!

I can't wait to send one of mine out to him ASAP !!!

Beautiful work.

Thanks Lisa !

ethernautrix
January 20th, 2014, 03:01 PM
You're welcome, Cary! I'm glad it helped.

I'm still planning to upload more photos (I always say that, sigh), but I had some deadlines - still have some scrambling to do, but without the anxious urgency. (Smiley.)

ethernautrix
January 20th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Kimy, I've seen Ernest's pens - with my hands! (LA Pen Show a couple of years ago.) Oh... so nice.

kia
January 20th, 2014, 07:05 PM
I am certainly envious. You made that urushi and maki-e lust bubble up again. And I bet you're enjoying it, lol. :D

Jon Szanto
January 20th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Nice, Lisa, as always. I hope Ernest has pens at LA in a couple weeks. Why, I don't know, just to gaze fondly, I suppose...

kia
January 22nd, 2014, 02:57 PM
Um, Lisa? I have just one thing I need to let you know: It's all your fault. :bounce:

ethernautrix
January 22nd, 2014, 03:27 PM
Um, Lisa? I have just one thing I need to let you know: It's all your fault. :bounce:

:angel:

Looking forward to your photos, Kimy. Hooray!

kia
January 22nd, 2014, 03:37 PM
Check back in July. :cheers:

earthdawn
January 22nd, 2014, 10:33 PM
I'm sending my Neo Standard in Kikyo blue to Ernest :)

Can't wait to see how it looks in person when I get it back... I'll be sure to post pics and report the turn around time etc.

Woot Woot !!!!

earthdawn
May 27th, 2014, 10:24 PM
Thought I would update this since Lisa got me Ernests info and I now how my pen back !!!!

Soooo awesome... he did such a fantastic job

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/3D653F25-2D23-4FB3-BD4E-D781AA4E7CEA_zpsshufjwho.jpg (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/thevaporcafe/media/3D653F25-2D23-4FB3-BD4E-D781AA4E7CEA_zpsshufjwho.jpg.html)