PDA

View Full Version : And there was eight

JustDaveyB
April 23rd, 2012, 07:58 AM

Pelikan M620s that is. Four to go for the set

Latest arrival http://justdaveyb.com/2012/04/23/into-rotation-pelikan-m620-madrid/

Enjoy,

JustDaveyB (http://justdaveyb.com)

KrazyIvan
April 23rd, 2012, 08:47 AM
Wow! I never knew there were that many different colors!

dannzeman
April 23rd, 2012, 05:34 PM
Davey, we need details on these pens! What the colors called? Where did you get them? When were they made available? I need more info!!

Bogon07
April 23rd, 2012, 05:48 PM
JustDaveyB, Nice pens, I think the pastel coloured ringed one is my favourite (Place de la Concorde?)

and the Piazza Navona for its subtle marble type pattern.

Your site's pen mind map is fascinating.

So you need Athens, Berlin, Chicago & SanFrancisco to round out the set ?

How often does Pelikan release a new 620 ?

JustDaveyB
April 23rd, 2012, 06:59 PM
These are Pelikan M620 pens know as the cities series pens (though four are named after places rather than cities per say).

They were special release pens (much in the same way as the current M800 Blue o'Blue and M600 Green o'Green pens) made and sold for a fixed period.

The first eight were named after cities and released two per year from 2001-2004, the last four were places and released 2005-2006.

Order of release

2001 Berlin
2001 Stockholm
2002 Madrid
2002 San Francisco
2003 Chicago
2003 New York
2004 Anthens
2004 Shanghai
2005 Piazza Navona (a square in Rome)
2005 Place de la Concorde (a square in Paris)
2006 Piccadilly Circus (a square in London)
2006 Grand Place (a square in Brussels)

They are all the same size and shape as the normal M600 pens but sport 18K gold rather than 14K nibs with same two-toned design.

They each came in a special colour coordinated box and featured a booklet describing the city/place that was the inspiration for the pen.

I sourced all of mine off Ebay vendors but John Mottishaw still has new stock of the Piccadilly Circus and Place de la Concorde pens.

From my image left to right:

Madrid, Stockholm, Shanghai, Piccadilly Circus, Piazza Navona, Grand Place, Place de la Concorde and New York

If you are interested in the individual pens search above search my blog justdaveyb.com (http://justdaveyb.com) by pen name for more images or John Mottishaw's site here (http://www.nibs.com/PelikanCitySeries.html) has images of all and the ultimate reference to Pelikan Special editions is ruettinger-web.de here (http://www.ruettinger-web.de/e-pelikan-modell-special.html)

Dan, you actually mentioned my Shanghai in one of your Sunday shopper posts and I reckon it cost me $70 more than normal, thanks mate :)

Out of the four I am chasing, the San Francisco seems to be the rarest (I have not seem one for sale for 6 months).

Oh well it is the thrill of the hunt as well as the owning that is fun.

JustDaveyB
April 23rd, 2012, 07:00 PM
JustDaveyB, Nice pens, I think the pastel coloured ringed one is my favourite (Place de la Concorde?)

I have responded to Dan's request for more info

JustDaveyB
April 23rd, 2012, 07:07 PM

Sorry didn't answer your questions.

Mind map done with Mac App called MindNode - (a very simple yet elegant app)

I like them all (but I have to say that :-)) But my favourites are Grand Place, Piazza Navona and Place de la Concorde. Friends of mine that have been to Rome say that the colouring and pattern of Piazza Navona is just like the stone of the square.

The surprise was Piccadilly Circus images on the 'net don't do it justice - it is Funky!!

Yep, that is the mission. I just hope the Oz dollar holds up...

etoyoc
April 23rd, 2012, 08:18 PM
When I saw the New York pen, I first thought cow print, so I was sure that had to be the Chicago pen. Now, I am curious to what that pattern actually is.

JustDaveyB
April 23rd, 2012, 08:33 PM
When I saw the New York pen, I first thought cow print, so I was sure that had to be the Chicago pen. Now, I am curious to what that pattern actually is.

Funnily enough the New York is often referred to as the cow print pen in my household. According to the blurb it is supposed to represent the building of NYC - not that I can see - I see cow print :-) Chicago is like the Madrid and Stockholm but Black, grey and silver.

Bogon07
April 23rd, 2012, 08:54 PM
Yep, that is the mission. I just hope the Oz dollar holds up...

Yes, obviously those people whinging about the high Oz dollar aren't buying pens from overseas.

Good luck in your quest.

etoyoc
April 24th, 2012, 03:36 AM
Funnily enough the New York is often referred to as the cow print pen in my household. According to the blurb it is supposed to represent the building of NYC - not that I can see - I see cow print :-) Chicago is like the Madrid and Stockholm but Black, grey and silver.

It is good to know that I am not the only one seeing cow print. Thanks for the links above, I was able to see the pens better and see what each looked like. I still don't get NYC being buildings. Maybe it is an odd 2 bit map of the city? Thanks for the information and the glimpse into all the variations I had not seen (or even been aware of).

KrazyIvan
April 24th, 2012, 08:40 AM
JustDaveyB, I think you just made hunting for your pens harder. :p Now you got us looking at them.