PDA

View Full Version : Ernst Glass Dip Pen

VertOlive
January 20th, 2014, 10:18 AM
I've been shopping glass pens for a while. I got lucky on TheBay last week and managed to scoop this Ernst Glass dip pen an hour or so after it was put up for sale. I'm thinking the owner did not check prices on the website because I got a great deal. Came with papers and their lifetime guatantee.

Not only are they beautiful, they have a high quality borosilicate tip that is actually meant to write with--not just a desk ornament. I can write 3/4 of an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper with one dip, and so easy to clean!

Love the colors on this!

whych
January 20th, 2014, 12:27 PM
I have a couple of glass nibbed German fountain pens from the 50's. Never really used them much.
What sort of writing do you use it for? I think that for the traditional FP user, the inflexibilty of the nib is a problem.

Sailor Kenshin
January 20th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Oooo...shinyyyyy!

I have three of four glass pens and none of them writes a lick. I look to the day I will find one that can.

VertOlive
January 20th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Check out http://www.glasspens.com/ for a glass pen that writes.

I just wrote a letter with it, it worked just fine with a few dips. I also record my inks in my Ink Journal using it now since it is so easy to clean and to switch inks quickly.

fountainpenkid
January 20th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Very beautiful!

Bogon07
January 20th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Nice looking pen. The colour combination is similar to dogfish or small sharks I've seen.

How deep do you dip it ?

VertOlive
January 20th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Nice looking pen. The colour combination is similar to dogfish or small sharks I've seen.

How deep do you dip it ?

I try to dip it to about the ring of glass bumps between the nib and the grip area. Those dark spots are a deep purple...

sharmon202
April 10th, 2014, 04:31 PM
How much for a good writing one? I saw one for $30 and thought that was a lot. Probably not?

Lady Onogaro
April 10th, 2014, 05:56 PM
I bought a nice one (J. Herbin) for about $20.00. But I tried it out first at a pen store (they were using it for ink testing and sold it to me). It works great, especially for the purpose VertOlive puts it to (but I am reasonably sure I could write a letter with mine, too). On the other hand, I bought one at a Barnes and Noble a while back and it wouldn't write worth a lick. I returned that puppy.

scrivelry
April 11th, 2014, 05:27 AM
I have a glass pen and I thought it was just me that I couldn't get it to work much, and when it does, the line is waaay too wide - maybe not me!

Those Ernst pens are really gorgeous.

VertOlive
April 11th, 2014, 02:09 PM
How much for a good writing one? I saw one for $30 and thought that was a lot. Probably not?

You can look on the link above, the transparent ones are around $60.00 and $90.00 for a bit fancier.

Scrawler
April 12th, 2014, 04:13 AM
That is a really nice pen. I bought an Italian made glass pen for my daughter and found it was ideal for testing ink, because they clean so easily. Does your pen have two different profiles? So that the line width varies by the orientation of the point to the paper? People forget that, because it is a simple looking device, the cost of these pens includes a lot of skill and efforts on the part of the maker.

alc3261
May 5th, 2014, 03:41 AM
I have tried 4-5 and none actually wrote successfully. J.Herbin was dreadful and I also tried one from Germany promised to write a page but it doesn't.

Lady Onogaro
May 5th, 2014, 12:54 PM
I have tried 4-5 and none actually wrote successfully. J.Herbin was dreadful and I also tried one from Germany promised to write a page but it doesn't.

That happened to me, too, with a pen I bought from Barnes and Noble. But the J. Herbin wrote beautifully straight away. I haven't tried writing a letter with it, and I tend to leave too much ink on it, I think, but I will have a bit more time to practice this summer.

VertOlive
May 5th, 2014, 06:15 PM
That is a really nice pen. I bought an Italian made glass pen for my daughter and found it was ideal for testing ink, because they clean so easily. Does your pen have two different profiles? So that the line width varies by the orientation of the point to the paper? People forget that, because it is a simple looking device, the cost of these pens includes a lot of skill and efforts on the part of the maker.

Hmm. I don't think it has but one profile that I can tell, or I may lack the skill to know!

Dreck
May 5th, 2014, 06:51 PM
That's one fancy, pretty, artsy pen, VO. I can't wait to see what the writing from it looks like. Good catch!