PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Pen Review - Sheaffer VFM

Tangster
January 21st, 2014, 03:16 AM
Because I'm an impulsive buyer and should be kept away from stationary stores...

Anyway, here's a handwritten review on the VFM, hope someone finds it useful!

Additions to the review(because I'm also forgetful):
Capped Length - 138 mm
Uncapped Length - 120.5 mm
Posted Length - 152 mm
Minimum Section Diameter - 8 mm
Maximum Section Diameter - 9.5 mm
Weight - No idea. I lost my scale somewhere.

Jeph
January 21st, 2014, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the review. Not a bad looking pen overall, but the large step does make the eyes lurch somewhat. That pen looks awfully close to a Prelude, like its cheper younger sibling. Are you sure that there is not enough room to cram a Sheaffer converter in there? That should make the pen at least useable. Without that I would pass on this pen.

Sailor Kenshin
January 21st, 2014, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the review. Very pleasing hand!

I bought one of these on fleabay thinking I could use up some of my Sheaffer carts. I shoulda read the fine print, lol.

But it's a nice little writer at that. I got the matte black.

Tangster
January 21st, 2014, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the review. Not a bad looking pen overall, but the large step does make the eyes lurch somewhat. That pen looks awfully close to a Prelude, like its cheper younger sibling. Are you sure that there is not enough room to cram a Sheaffer converter in there? That should make the pen at least useable. Without that I would pass on this pen.
It wouldn't take a Sheaffer converter anyhow since it's fitted for international carts. Peering inside it; the barrel appears to be a dual layer metal construction and it's only 44 mm deep not to mention that it tapers as it gets deeper.

I think you can fit the monteverde micro converter, but since that's got even less ink than a small international...

Koyote
January 23rd, 2014, 08:46 AM
I bought one to use with the short international carts that Diamine used to send for free with ink orders. The VFM is reliable, but the thinness makes it only a note-jotter for me.

inlovewithjournals
January 23rd, 2014, 09:59 AM
Thanks for this review Tangster! I have a bunch of J. Herbin cartridges and could use them in one of these. :)

Lancaster
June 27th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the review! Very helpful to those of us starting out on cheap pens. It's hard sometimes trying to figure out what cartridges fit what pens.