PDA

View Full Version : Anyone for 3D?

caliken
January 21st, 2014, 03:26 AM
I've always been fascinated by the illusion of 3D so I really enjoy trying to create it.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/reda600.jpg

For anyone interested, the technique is relatively simple.

In this example, I used as my model, a letter A devised by the calligrapher Byron J Macdonald. I drew the outline in red gouache and then blocked in the letter in the same colour. Once dry, I shaded in certain areas with coloured and black pencils to create a limited 3D appearance.
Having created certain movement by the shading of the letter, I then tried to visualise how it would cast shadows if the light were coming from the left at about 10 o'clock. I then spent an entire evening (4 hours) on the grey shading. I used medium to soft black pencils for this - constanhtly adding and removing the pencil with a soft rubber until the image suddenly appeared to 'lift' off the page. I was very careful in the strength (darkness) of the shading as certain areas would receive less light than others. I find that placing a table lamp in the approximate position of the sun, helps as the illusion develops. I do find this to be very difficult and exceptionally time consuming, but it is very satisfyling when it eventaully works. Note the curved areas at the top left and bottom right of the letter. Although the shapes are reasonably similar and the curves appear to lilt of the page to about the same extent, the shading is quite different as the the top left section is much closer to the source of light and would create the slight halo effect at the inner edge of the letter.

I must admit that I've been interested in, and have studied 3D effects and the creation of shading for some time, and I have a fairly good mental picture of the basic shapes of the shaded areas before I begin, which probably helps.

Ken