PDA

View Full Version : Baystate blue in included pen.

Oncdoc
January 21st, 2014, 07:50 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/22/y7ahaqyp.jpg

So far I like the combination. Is it a regular platinum preppy? Seem to be a fine nib. I think I'm loving this ink pen combo. Anyone try this ink in other pens?

Mags
January 21st, 2014, 08:29 PM
I use it in a TWSBI 540 and mini. I also have a Jinhao dedicated to its use. The colour is wonderful.

Oncdoc
January 21st, 2014, 08:41 PM
How do you put the ink in those pens? Since it's a piston filler by submerging don't you heavily stain the nib and grip section. How can one bypass submerging? If so with which pens?

Mags
January 22nd, 2014, 06:28 AM
I just stick it in the ink and suck it up. I could use some bleach and water and soak it clean periodically. I dont worry as the mini is all black. The semonstrator gets a soak now and again and is all clear and thus far no worries.

cjr29
January 23rd, 2014, 10:23 AM
I, too, loaded the included eye dropper pen with my BayState Blue ink and have found the pairing a perfect match. In fact, I was so pleased that I wanted another of the Noodler Eye Dropper pens, so I ordered the Nikita Red large bottle that comes with a pen. Now I will have another eye dropper to try with other inks since I think the BSB will always live in my first Noodler's Eye Dropper. It looks like the Platinum logo is on the pen nib. I was assuming Noodler's sourced their nibs from Platinum.

AndyT
January 23rd, 2014, 11:25 AM
I'm pretty sure Nathan has said outright that these are Preppies with an "o"-ring.

Oncdoc
January 23rd, 2014, 01:34 PM
Any one notice slow start up and early skipping with this pen though?

miatapaul
January 23rd, 2014, 01:46 PM
Any one notice slow start up and early skipping with this pen though?

I have not mine starts good unless it has been sitting a long time. My biggest concern is that preppies seem to be made of the moat fragile plastic and it makes me nervous to have that much ink in the pen. I would rather refill the cartridge.

cjr29
January 23rd, 2014, 02:35 PM
No starting problems with this pen. In fact, it has been my most reliable pen. However, as miatapaul noted, I'm not yet confident in the plastic. The pen remains on my desk and has not been in my pocket. Maybe in time I'll gain confidence and actually start carrying it around because I really enjoy the fast start and fairly wet nib.

Sailor Kenshin
January 23rd, 2014, 02:39 PM
I use Baystate Blue exclusively in a Pelikano Junior with a barrel that matches the ink color. And now, thanks to soaking the section too long, I have a two-tone BSB/yellow section.

Bogon07
January 23rd, 2014, 08:05 PM
My Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng also came with an o-ring eye-dropper Preppy. It has worked fantastically so far impressive line and easy starts.
The only worry is accidentally unscrewing the body & section instead of just pulling the cap off.

Chemyst
January 23rd, 2014, 08:22 PM
I'm pretty sure Nathan has said outright that these are Preppies with an "o"-ring.

Correct.

Jon Szanto
January 23rd, 2014, 11:11 PM
I do believe it is cheaper to just buy the Preppies by themselves and buy the smaller bottles of Noodlers. If you know FOR SURE it is an ink you are going to use a lot of, go for it. In any other situation, you can just get a handful of Preps and some silicon grease and have at it. Someone else started a Preppy thread a while back, because they aren't universally great pens, but do have some variation in performance. From what i can tell, better overall than Noodlers pens right out of the box, but still not a slam-dunk "this is going to be a perfect pen".

Good luck with your BSB. Too much hassle for me.

Sailor Kenshin
January 24th, 2014, 06:20 AM
The Preppy actually is a perfect pen...for three dollars. I can't ask for more at that price point.

Oncdoc
January 24th, 2014, 06:21 AM
Thus preppy be made into an eye dropper pen?

AndyT
January 24th, 2014, 08:51 AM
The Preppy actually is a perfect pen...for three dollars. I can't ask for more at that price point.

Agreed, well almost. Given my problems with caps cracking it would be nice if they'd throw in a cable tie.

Concerning the eyedropper conversion, I have a theory that it's safer not to use an "o"-ring on the grounds that they encourage over-tightening. So long as there's a continuous gasket of silicone grease at the base of the threads the ink shouldn't get out ... well, it's worked for me so far.

Oncdoc
January 28th, 2014, 01:54 PM
This may be a stupid question, but is it okay to drain the ink back in original bottle if getting rid of a pen?

KrazyIvan
January 28th, 2014, 04:12 PM
This may be a stupid question, but is it okay to drain the ink back in original bottle if getting rid of a pen?

A lot of people do it. I don't just because of the chance that you can cross contaminate a whole bottle of ink.

Oncdoc
January 29th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Ok is it just me or does it take a while for this ink to warm up. I mean now in two pens there is skipping particularly in the beginning. One is a trusted pilot metropolitan of mine. I think it's this ink. Not as impressed. Your thoughts??