PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a daily use pen

Shabi
January 23rd, 2014, 09:33 AM
I'm considering to buy a new fountain pen for everyday use, which includes university notes-taking, exercises, revision notes and well all the sort of writing university requires, plus some other writing activities I do in my spare time, so I would like some suggestions ^.^

To start with I describe my writing style to narrow down the (possibly infinite) choices range: my handwriting is quite tiny, I tend to fill the pages a lot, use 6mm or 7mm ruled paper and need to have tidy notes as studying physics I have to take down lots of formulas, numbers and symbol that then I need to be able to read, so an extra-fine nib would probably be my choice.

So far I have used a lamy safari alternated to a kaweco allrounder, both with EF nib; I find the lamy nib slightly bigger and less smooth (and, filled up with the same ink, diamine onyx black, it's slightly too wet), so I prefer to use the kaweco, but the allrounder is a heavy pen (at least for my small girly hands), so after writing for hours I end up with my hand hurting.
I was therefore looking for a new pen which ideally would have a smooth very fine nib like the kaweco (or finer if possible) and would be lighter in weight compared to the allrounder (not necessarily as light as the safari which has a plastic body).

I looked around the internet a bit and two pens seemed to stand out: the kaweco special AL or the lamy 2000; I was attracted to the lamy 2000 mainly for its piston filler and the fact it has a window on the body to see the ink level so I don't forget to fill it up (not even sure if this last thing is true, but I've seen it written on some website), at the same time many reviews say its EF nib is actually closer to a fine nib, which from my point of view is a strong drawback. I was attracted to the Special AL as I know I like the nib and it has the threaded end to post the cap so I don't loose it, and should be lighter weight than the allrounder.

So now my question is: of these two which one is better? any other option you would add to my list? the price range let's say around the lamy 2000 price or lower (actually lower would be better).
Thanks in advance :roll:

AndyT
January 23rd, 2014, 11:11 AM
Of those two, I'd say the Lamy offers much better value for money, in fact it's something of a benchmark in those terms. Whether you'd find the nib sufficiently fine for your purposes is moot, however.

My recommendation (speaking as someone who often writes single-spaced on 5mm grid paper) is completely different, and much cheaper. It's the Pilot Penmanship, currently retailing at $8.25 from JetPens (http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Penmanship-Fountain-Pen-with-Ergo-Grip-Extra-Fine-Nib-Clear-Body/pd/4008). If there's a finer nib on the market I'd be surprised, and yet it's really quite smooth for what is very nearly a needlepoint. I like it as it comes and use mine as an eyedropper, but if the appearance or shape is a problem the nib can be transplanted into a Metropolitan (http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Metropolitan-Fountain-Pen-Medium-Nib-Black-Zigzag-Body/pd/10171) or Prera (http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Prera-Fountain-Pen-Fine-Nib-Brown-Body/pd/3891).

By the way, I've linked to JetPens mostly because they give thorough specifications - no other reason.

Jeph
January 23rd, 2014, 11:33 AM
The price of a Lamy 2000 opens the door to a great deal of pens. If you really mean EF when you say EF, like I do (.5mm line or less), I think that you might actually be happier with a Japanese pen over a European one. Sadly, I don't own any to give a personal recommendation, but I have piles of German EF's and without going to a dry ink (which I abhor) they really write like F's (.7 mm line). They do write wonderfully like F's, but still. And with it being school work, you are (probably) going to be using cheap paper that tends to absorb more ink and therefore give a wider line than something like Rhodia. The TWSBI is a great pen, but they use German nibs so they do not count as Eastern. I am sure there will be people along soon with some useful suggestions.

ac12
January 23rd, 2014, 11:59 AM
I have a Lamy 2000, and I feel that it is too FAT for my smallish hand. I will probably sell it.
So while the 2000 is not heavy, it is a FAT pen to hold.
I do not have a Safari, so I cannot give you a comparison of the 2000 to the Safari, but I can provide measurements.

If you think the XF nib on your Safari is big, that is going to be the same with the 2000.
I measured the F nib from both Lamy Safari and 2000, and both were the same at 0.028inch/0.71mm.
A Chinese F nib will be 0.5mm and the XF 0.3mm. BUT, you need good smooth paper for these fine nibs, especially the XF nib.

Tip: Make it a routine and habbit to refill your pen every day AFTER you do your homework.
That way you start the day out with a full load of ink.

Cookies
January 23rd, 2014, 12:48 PM
I have tiny handwriting as well and find the Lamy EFs to be too wide. The suggestion of Pilot Penmanship is a wonderful idea. I have one Penmanship nib in a Pilot Prera and one in a Pilot Metropolitan. They are wonderful and I recommend them highly if you enjoy xxf nibs.

Another suggestion is an Imperial 330/440 with an EF nib. They are much finer than most western EFs and I find them somewhere in between a Pilot Penmanship and a Pilot fine.

I'm not sure how much a 2000 but I think probably around $200? So here are some suggestions in that range.

There's the Pilot Decimo which, in my opinion, is unbeatable for note-taking.

Platinum 3776 with F, EF, and UEF nibs. This is a handsome and practical choice for those of us that prefer tiny points.

Pilot Custom 74 with a fine nib if you like demonstrators.

And the Pilot Heritage 92 if you like piston fillers.

ac12
January 23rd, 2014, 09:35 PM
One more point.
I would NOT take a $200 pen to school.
Any pen that goes to school should be something that you can afford to loose (to theft, loss or damage). I consider a school a high risk environment.
If you can't afford to loose the pen, get a cheaper pen.
While your iPad might be a prime theft target, your pen is easier to steal. Drop it into a pocket and ... it disappears.

If you get an expensive pen like a Lamy 2000, keep it at home to do your homework and such.
Take a less expensive pen, like a Safari, to school.

Lady Onogaro
January 23rd, 2014, 10:18 PM
I would recommend the Pilot Kakuro or the Pilot Penmanship. I also like the Plumix.

Shabi
January 24th, 2014, 02:07 AM
Thanks everyone, now I surely have many more options to go through and consider (it always takes me a while to choose), so thanks a lot!

And with it being school work, you are (probably) going to be using cheap paper that tends to absorb more ink and therefore give a wider line than something like Rhodia.
actually for my notes I use Japanese paper (mostly Kokuyo or Maruman) to fill my ring binders as all my courses have several follow ups I need to be able to look back at my notes often so they need to be on decent paper that does not rip easily, and in my opinion is quite good quality for the purpose (note taking) it is made for, so I don't have the problem of paper absorbing too much the ink as well :bounce:

I guess from your suggestions I should match a Japanese pen to my Japanese paper, and I think I will do (:

One more point.
I would NOT take a $200 pen to school.

I understand what you mean, but I never lost a pen in my life, not even the 3$ refillable thing I used in primary school: I'm very jealous of my pens, also the cheap ones, so I pay a lot of attention to them, of course the chance of a theft is always possible, but in my opinion is that is as possible in a large office as in a university, usually students are just more careless. So if I decide to go for an expensive pen I'll pay extra care to it and still take it with me, maybe keeping it in my pocket instead of the pencil case (:

Now I go and look through all the pens you have suggested, thanks again!

trhall
January 24th, 2014, 05:29 AM
Do you post your pens or not? I personally like a TWSBI 540 (now, 580) because it holds a lot of ink and I can easily see how much I have left. But I don't post that pen. It may be a bit heavy for you. Also a Pelikan M205 may be good, as it is also a piston filler but is very light and can be used posted.

In either case the nibs are too broad for me so I had them ground to a 0.2mm width (same as Japanese extra fine). My Lamy 2000 was also ground down to the same size.

If you don't mind a pen with a converter or cartridge, then most of the Japanese EF pens will work (Pilot, Platinum, Sailor).

Good luck!

ac12
January 24th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Actually, I had an expensive gold Cross pen stolen from my desk at work.
That was soon after college, and I could not afford to replace that $$ pen. And yes, I was in a rather bad mood for a long time.
That theft immediately stopped me bringing my own pens to work, I started using pens from the office supply cabinet.

Now bring my own pens out, but only what I call my "office pens."
These are decent/good writing pens that are inexpensive. These pens if lost or stolen, won't hurt. In my current pool of office pens, the most expensive is a $15 Pilot Metro.
My occupation is not one that my pen has to impress anyone.
My nice/expensive pens stay at home, where the can be used in safety.

Advice, ALWAYs carry a ball or gel pen with you.
That way if someone asks to borrow a pen, you give them the ball or gel pen, NOT your fountain pen.

VertOlive
January 25th, 2014, 08:26 PM
My Lamy Safari, which I bought to see why everyone recommends them, feels quite large in my small hands...my Pilot Plumix feels quite friendly, I think it is 0.7- ish.

Also, if someone asks to borrow your pen, you could say "no". It produces an interesting reaction...:rolleyes: