PDA

View Full Version : Doh!

stevekolt
January 24th, 2014, 09:22 PM
I have two bottles of Iroshizuku ink where the ink around cap has evidently dried, and I am having a heck of a time trying to unscrew the lids. Any suggestions?

ever onward
January 25th, 2014, 01:12 AM
You could try soaking them in warm water. Good luck...

best wishes,
ever onward

00Photo
January 25th, 2014, 02:34 PM
when that happens to me I invert the bottles and smash them down cap first like a kung fu master swatting a fly. they open right up after that.

onepuff
January 25th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Tap the bottle firmly (but hard enough to smash it) on the table. If that fails, try heating the cap with a hairdryer and / or use a boa pipe wrench (this normally works with any sort of dried on cap).

stevekolt
January 25th, 2014, 06:53 PM
when that happens to me I invert the bottles and smash them down cap first like a kung fu master swatting a fly. they open right up after that.

My Kung Fu is more like Kung Uh Oh. I could just picture my wife's reaction as a whole bottle of ink poured out onto our hardwood floors :jaw: :laser:

stevekolt
January 25th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Tap the bottle firmly (but hard enough to smash it) on the table. If that fails, try heating the cap with a hairdryer and / or use a boa pipe wrench (this normally works with any sort of dried on cap).

Tried the wrench/pliers. Thankfully the cap is faceted so the pliers were able to get a grip. Will keep the other suggestions in mind for future reference. Thanks everybody!

Nomdeplume
January 25th, 2014, 08:20 PM
I always use a paper towel to wipe both bottle and lid before closing back up...avoids this situation mostly!

When it doesn't prevent it, hot water and a rubber grip!

Shadow's Moon
August 14th, 2014, 11:12 PM
For future reference put a little silicone grease on the cap threads.

The Paranoid Nudnik
August 16th, 2014, 01:44 AM
Someone once told me to hold the cap and twist the bottle. Seems to work more often than not for me.

Hope this helps

Vic

sharmon202
August 25th, 2014, 01:18 PM

Do you think there would be a difference between putting silicone on cap threads vs bottle threads? Maybe a dumb question..............? Thanks for the idea-great!

Shadow's Moon
August 29th, 2014, 12:35 AM
What I generally do is to wipe the bottle threads before I put the cap back on and I keep a thin layer of silicone on the cap threads. This method is what has worked best for me.

7188photo
August 29th, 2014, 04:23 PM
I usually don't close it super tight anymore after I had the same problem (strangely only with iroshizuku) and voila - no more problems :)

RudyR
September 19th, 2014, 01:04 PM

Do you think there would be a difference between putting silicone on cap threads vs bottle threads? Maybe a dumb question..............? Thanks for the idea-great!

As a retired steamfitter, I can tell you this:

I have always put the sealant on the pipe threads. You do a better job of applying the sealant on the threads when you can see them and you do it faster. The only people who would put sealant in the cap threads would be OCD plumbers. They, ironically, would make a big mess with the overabundance of thread sealant.