PDA

View Full Version : Noodler's Flex Pens as Shorthand Pens

John the Monkey
April 24th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Whilst googling for something else (funny how that happens, eh?) I found this, a round up of pens used for Pitman shorthand. Unlike Gregg, which, as I recall, needs a fine, firm nib, Pitman makes use of line variation in the stroke to convey meaning - that's why pens designed for it have extra fine, flexible nibs, in general.

My Copper Esterbrook with its 9128 nib began life as a shorthand pen, according to its previous owner, and I have a Pelikan Steno I'm very fond of that was designed for writing this script too.

This site does give short shrift to the poor old Steno (admittedly, whilst I like mine, I don't write shorthand, so what do I know) but rates the Noodler's pens highly, of the flex pen, they say;

"This pen is a pleasure to use for shorthand, longhand and drawing. I give it top marks for shorthand performance and recommend it without reservation."

They also recommend Goulets, which I believe shows them to be folks of discernment and taste!

http://www.long-live-pitmans-shorthand.org.uk/pen-pencil-reviews.htm

goldiesdad
May 18th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the info ... I just got the Ahab and haven't inked that baby up yet. Another Noodler to look into ...