PDA

View Full Version : For sale: Montblanc Meisterstuck 149 18K F Nib CHEAP!

Athram
January 25th, 2014, 11:01 AM
My rent is due soon so I'm looking for a quick sale, hence the attractive price!

This pen has been used a handful of times but has mostly just stayed in the box as it was an unwanted Christmas gift.

The clip and rings are 18K gold plated and the nib is solid 18K gold with a fine point. Piston filling system.

Price: £160 (Approx. $265 US) including excluding shipping. PayPal only.

Please PM if you're interested.

Abdulquyyum
January 25th, 2014, 11:09 AM
I want the pen

firebug
January 27th, 2014, 11:35 AM
What is shipping to india? Pl mail me at jignesh.patolia@gmail.com

Paul-H
January 27th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Caveat emptor me thinks with this one.

Jon Szanto
January 27th, 2014, 01:02 PM

First post and it includes the words "Montblanc" and "cheap" in the subject. Right.

Cyber6
January 27th, 2014, 01:55 PM

First post and it includes the words "Montblanc" and "cheap" in the subject. Right.

Yep... and Surprise.. Surprise.. is now SOLD !!

Paul-H
January 27th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Hope the transaction goes through ok, far too many red flags waving for me though, but then again I am a glass half empty guy though.

But a new member who's first post was to sell a pen at probably half its true value just set alarm bells running for me.

Like I said hope I was wrong and the sale goes smoothly and the other new member gets a bargain in the post soon and apologies to the op for casting dispersions on his rep if I was wrong.

Paul

firebug
January 28th, 2014, 06:48 AM
Hi Paul, you always have paypal in case the seller sends an ersatz.

Hopefully it doesn't turn out like that.

all the best.

mmahany
January 29th, 2014, 12:54 PM
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, judging someone solely from their post count is rarely a wise thing to do. I would expect senior members to understand that.

If you bothered to do your research (like I did), you’d know that Athram is both a respected member and a MODERATOR of WatchUSeek. He has more than 2000 posts and plenty of credibility behind his name.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f377/sold-montblanc-mesiterstuck-149-fountain-pen-18k-f-nib-973363.html

If you recall, I made a thread suggesting a minimum post count requirement to post for sale threads. That idea was ultimately shot down. Many people argued that several reputable sellers do not have many posts and the rule would hurt people like them.

Since my suggestion was not implemented, the current rules should be respected AND FOLLOWED. There should be reasoning BEYOND someone’s post count to suggest a seller is not reputable.

Again, I realize that many of you had good intentions. However, in this case, your instincts failed you and your actions proved more harmful than good.

I’ve seen many witch hunts on this forum and quite frankly that’s upsetting. I’m always an advocate of helping other members, but in this case, many of you acted on the contrary.

So the next time before you hit "Post Quick Reply" take a second to think if your post actually has substance and/or justification. We're all here to help each other, let's do exactly that.

Paul-H
January 29th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Just don't forget one little flaw in your logic.

Just because a person is well respected on one forum does not give that person sole rights to that username on another forum.

Mine for example, Paul-H, there are quite a few Paul-H's on some of the many forums for many different subjects that I belong to but they are not all me, because someone else used it before I joined.

So a search for a username might lead you down the wrong path.

Still if in future I see a for sale posting and I think it's not kosher I will keep quite about it and let it play out, good or bad, just to keep you happy.

Bye

Jon Szanto
January 29th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Oh, gods, another lecture.

No witch hunt, just a heads-up. You're off the mark almost from the start: while a post count that is not just low but *1* is enough to catch my attention, an opening of "hey, I have to make rent so I'm selling this expensive fountain pen really cheap because it was given to me" doesn't bespeak a valued, long-time seller.

Frankly, if someone isn't a part of this community, whereby you've gotten a chance to understand a bit about them, a person might just consider giving a little background on themselves. I hardly think it makes sense to ask every person to go off on a Google search based on only... a chosen forum nickname? Please. A bit of this should be the seller's responsibility in lieu of any true rating system.

No one slammed the guy (if he is a guy, if he is even the same person you've mentioned), it just wasn't nearly as transparent and professional as many of the good sellers we see. And, in spite of anyone's umbrage, it apparently didn't hurt sales. Hope the it all was on the up and up in the end.

Sometimes it's all in the delivery. As in the case of the seller, and the author of the criticism.

I like mango pudding
January 29th, 2014, 10:04 PM
So, how many of you would have bought that pen? I know I wouldn't have.

I belong to several watch forums as well, including WUS, and there have been long time well respected members who have turned up to be a scammer in the end. Some were defending him in the beginning, but then those defenders fell off to the wayside after other members exposed his web of lies and half truths. By the way, I've encounter more scammers on WUS than on any of my other forums.

I also belong to a couple of coffee and sportbike forums and things like this happen there too even with well respected members.

mhosea
January 30th, 2014, 12:16 AM
So, how many of you would have bought that pen? I know I wouldn't have.

No. There were several high-risk factors, IMHO, and mmahany pointed out (unintentionally) that the item was presumably unsold on another venue at the time it was offered here, in which case the post count and length of membership is relevant. If the id had been in use for months, one could have more easily discounted the possibility of a scammer spoofing the identity of the real seller.

Edit: clarified meaning.

PeppWaves03
January 30th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Hummmmmm

mmahany
January 30th, 2014, 07:32 PM
I tell you what. I'll make a few how-to's on using ebay/paypal (as well as a basic internet usage guide). It sounds like many of you could benefit from that.

(BTW, the thread on WUS shows SOLD).

Jon Szanto
January 30th, 2014, 07:38 PM
I tell you what. I'll make a few how-to's on using ebay/paypal (as well as a basic internet usage guide). It sounds like many of you could benefit from that.

Fuck off. Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering here, been doing web work since the early 90's. Sorry to be so blunt, but maybe it will cut through your ham-handed and supercilious nature.

Not to say that the thread might not have some information of use for others, but since you just posted a generic "many of you", I'll take a moment here to express my umbrage. Sorry to any denizens of FPG who are offended at my curtness, but (thankfully), it *is* FPG, and I can be passionate as I see fit.

mhosea
January 30th, 2014, 08:34 PM

I was solely commenting on what risks existed at the time the item was offered for sale here. Current status is not relevant. I have edited my post to clarify my intended meaning. I am assuming it wasn't already sold on the other forum, as then it would definitely have been a scam.

Jon, if we ever cross paths someday, lunch is on me.

Cookies
January 30th, 2014, 08:38 PM

There's no need to be condescending.

I like mango pudding
January 30th, 2014, 10:33 PM
Maybe this is a real sale with a real pen transaction. Only the buyer and seller will know for sure. But for me, I'm not willing to take that chance, even with Paypal on my side.

But there were just too many red flags put up. I don't need to count the number either. It's too obvious.

Paul-H
January 30th, 2014, 11:41 PM
:thumb:

Annie
January 31st, 2014, 12:18 AM
"Athram is both a respected member and a MODERATOR of WatchUSeek."
This doesn't fill me with confidence.

"He has more than 2000 posts and plenty of credibility behind his name."
Assuming it's the same person, which I don't. I could open an account with the username Camilla Parker Bowles. Doesn't mean I climb into bed with a prince every night.

I reserve the right to be cautious when there are red flags.

mhosea
January 31st, 2014, 07:45 AM
But there were just too many red flags put up. I don't need to count the number either.

You can come at it from the positive direction, too. What's the intersection of the following subsets of people who would...

1. Make their first post on a forum immediately after registering be selling an expensive pen.
2. Be given a MB 149 for Christmas by anyone.
3. Need to make a quick sale to bring in a few hundred dollars to make rent.
4. Announce to the world that a Christmas gift costing the better part of $1K was "unwanted". (Somebody is saying, "Remind me not to give you nice things.")
5. Be a trustworthy seller.

If I were offered this sale on the street, I'd suspect the pen was stolen.

pengeezer
January 31st, 2014, 08:21 AM

Assuming it's the same person, which I don't. I could open an account with the username Camilla Parker Bowles. Doesn't mean I climb into bed with a prince every night.

Kind of reminds me of another moderator that's been brought up in the past..........

John

Giordana
January 31st, 2014, 11:10 AM
I'm kind of new to the forum, having learned of it by the FPGeeks podcasts. I really appreciate that there are many concerned members that care about the wellbeing of the others. I mean, some people just want to sell, so I guess some people don't care about the person behind the wallet...but everyone being adults here, I think that while it's good to warn, people have the right to choose where to take a chance and gamble, just as with everything else, whether it's just buying a used pen in ebay, a small business that you hope will take flight, or even an operation that you hope will not end in the worst case scenario. Everyone should move on and talk about pens...ballpoint, rollerball, brush, fountain. Let's get geeky. :)

GHCToolman
January 31st, 2014, 12:18 PM
I won't make a comment on this sale.

However, I just want to remind people never to use PayPal gift payments when purchasing items. PayPal will NOT support you if you don't receive the item. I have seen people burned elsewhere before.

Annie
January 31st, 2014, 12:51 PM

Kind of reminds me of another moderator that's been brought up in the past..........

John

It crossed my mind too. Having been burned before, once here and once by a 'friend,' I keep hold of my cash until I can be sure.

Annie
January 31st, 2014, 12:53 PM
I'm kind of new to the forum, having learned of it by the FPGeeks podcasts. I really appreciate that there are many concerned members that care about the wellbeing of the others. I mean, some people just want to sell, so I guess some people don't care about the person behind the wallet...but everyone being adults here, I think that while it's good to warn, people have the right to choose where to take a chance and gamble, just as with everything else, whether it's just buying a used pen in ebay, a small business that you hope will take flight, or even an operation that you hope will not end in the worst case scenario. Everyone should move on and talk about pens...ballpoint, rollerball, brush, fountain. Let's get geeky. :)

Absolutely. Show us what you've got/tell us about a great ink or some good things from your day... :)

bluefeathers
January 31st, 2014, 01:52 PM

However, I just want to remind people never to use PayPal gift payments when purchasing items. PayPal will NOT support you if you don't receive the item. I have seen people burned elsewhere before.

While this is true, and it is a risk, I have been asked to make payments that way for pens and done the same when selling, since otherwise Paypal takes a percentage of fees. Why not just add the percentage to the selling price, you might ask? Adding this % in to the price can make the difference between being able to offer a good deal on a pen and selling it, and not. It really depends on whether you trust the seller or not, I guess. One way to make up for payments that way is to request insurance with shipping.

velo
January 31st, 2014, 07:12 PM

While this is true, and it is a risk, I have been asked to make payments that way for pens and done the same when selling, since otherwise Paypal takes a percentage of fees. Why not just add the percentage to the selling price, you might ask? Adding this % in to the price can make the difference between being able to offer a good deal on a pen and selling it, and not. It really depends on whether you trust the seller or not, I guess. One way to make up for payments that way is to request insurance with shipping.

Going slightly off-topic, as someone who isn't located in the US or Europe I need as much protection as possible. I would prefer all the fees to be included or the seller pays the fees as a cost of doing business. That's just something I take into consideration when putting things up for sale myself.

Also please try not to limit your sales to CONUS only. Yes there are some risky places but I live in a first world country with a mostly trustworthy postal service and I'm prepared to pay for postal insurance. :)

pengeezer
January 31st, 2014, 07:51 PM

Going slightly off-topic, as someone who isn't located in the US or Europe I need as much protection as possible. I would prefer all the fees to be included or the seller pays the fees as a cost of doing business. That's just something I take into consideration when putting things up for sale myself.

Also please try not to limit your sales to CONUS only. Yes there are some risky places but I live in a first world country with a mostly trustworthy postal service and I'm prepared to pay for postal insurance. :)

Maybe I'm wrong,but I've always understood it to be that once a pen leaves a country
and crosses the pond,the insurance from where it's coming doesn't cover
where it's going.

John

Paul-H
January 31st, 2014, 11:58 PM
That might be the case with the US postal service but if i send something from the UK to America insured its fully covered door to door, as long as I select the correct service at posting.

Paul

heymatthew
February 1st, 2014, 06:29 AM

Maybe I'm wrong,but I've always understood it to be that once a pen leaves a country
and crosses the pond,the insurance from where it's coming doesn't cover
where it's going.

John

You're right John. I sent a camera lens to Canada via USPS insured and it went missing after it entered Canada. The buyer filed a claim with Paypal after the appropriate time frame and USPS declined my insurance claim because it was out of the country.

Thankfully the lens showed up weeks later and the guy gave me the money back.

pengeezer
February 1st, 2014, 08:02 AM
OK,so as I see it all packages that cross the US shore/border stop being insured by the USPS,
while packages coming from the UK are fully insured all the way to their destination.
Are other countries like the UK,or are they like the US?

John

dannzeman
February 10th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Just a heads up for everyone who commented here. I bought the pen and received it today. I took what I thought was a small chance since I'm confident in Paypal's protection services. After I sent payment there were no replies over the next 3 days to my 4 requests (PMs here and at WatchUSeek plus emails to two different addresses) for the tracking info. I started a dispute with Paypal and received a response from the seller the next day with the tracking info.

In the end, I got what I paid for in the condition it was advertised. I'm happy.

PeppWaves03
February 10th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Man! I should've taken it.

Robert
February 10th, 2014, 06:52 PM

all the best.

If you are the buyer, do let us know how it turns out. Best of luck to you.

dannzeman
February 10th, 2014, 06:55 PM

all the best.

If you are the buyer, do let us know how it turns out. Best of luck to you.
I just posted two comments above yours that I was the buyer and commented on the transaction.

Paul-H
February 11th, 2014, 01:08 AM
But you have to admit that even though you took the risk, even you at first thought it was going T1Ts up when the seller failed to have the courtesy to respond to your requests for the tracking number. so much for his stellar reputation on the other site.;)

Glad it turn out ok in the end though.

Paul

dannzeman
February 12th, 2014, 10:27 AM
But you have to admit that even though you took the risk, even you at first thought it was going T1Ts up when the seller failed to have the courtesy to respond to your requests for the tracking number. so much for his stellar reputation on the other site.;)

Glad it turn out ok in the end though.

Paul
Well, yeah. That's why I started the dispute. I figured that would at least get some kind of response from him.