PDA

View Full Version : Modern pens with flex?

Finalist
January 26th, 2014, 01:28 AM
So I've been trying to research what modern pens or anything I can buy new that has flex.

I know of the Namiki Falcon (soft flex)
Noodler's pens with a flex nib
Serwex stuff with a flex nib

What else is out there?

I'm grown obessed with the thick and thins and flex of the John Mottishaw modified namiki falcon in this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pRebkWHsHC0

What should I look for that would compare?

piscov
January 26th, 2014, 02:15 AM
Maybe itīs better to go vintage. some Pelikan M400 from the 90īs are quit flexible, but vintage MB, Pelikan, Soennecken (50's and bellow) pens are much more...

AndyT
January 26th, 2014, 04:33 AM
Maybe itīs better to go vintage.

I think probably so, because over and above simple line variation, the older nibs tend to have better responsiveness or "snap", and more capable feeds. That's not to disparage the modern pens too much though - for instance the Noodler's pens are surprisingly nice to write with at the price. I'd certainly recommend trying one.

Finalist
January 26th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Is there a list of vintage pens with flex that I can search for?

AndyT
January 26th, 2014, 01:16 PM

No, not as such. Back in the day the manufacturers offered any number of different nib options, from rock hard (for carbons) to "wet noodle", so it all depends what was fitted to any given pen. Waterman, Wahl and Mabie Todd made nice nibs for starters. Dealers will generally give an indication of flexibility when applicable, and often a writing sample too. For example, this rather spiffing Waterman 52 (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/5665-Waterman-52-Vintage-Flex) offered recently by pokermon919.

VertOlive
January 26th, 2014, 01:27 PM
I'm having a tough time trying to get much line variation out of my new Konrad. Maybe it's the particular pen, or I need practice, but I won't recommend it if there are better vintage pens to be had.

AndyT
January 26th, 2014, 01:57 PM
I'm having a tough time trying to get much line variation out of my new Konrad.

Although it's about the Nib Creaper, you might find this video (http://www.gouletpens.com/Articles.asp?ID=320) enlightening. Or confusing. Anyway, a bit of fiddling can pay dividends, but expect inky fingers. I don't know the Konrad, but a Creaper can manage from fine to 2.5mm (briefly!) if you hit on the right positions for the nib and feed, and pick a sympathetic ink.

Carole
January 26th, 2014, 02:10 PM

On the Peyton Street Pens site (No Affil. but customer) , I just noticed that Teri has a listing called 'Vintage Flex.' It shows a nice range of pens and prices, and the photos of the nibs are very good. You can also search the pens that catch your eye, on the many other sites out there. Good luck, vintage flex is a fascinating area.

trhall
January 26th, 2014, 02:57 PM
You may want to check our Mauricio Aguilar's excellent site. He has great vintage pens for sale and vintage nibs fit onto modern pens. He also has a lot of good detail on flex writing and nib grading.

http://www.vintagepen.net/grading-flex-nibs.html

I also prefer modern pens with vintage nibs. I've fit my own before, but Mauricio also has some of those.

Also, some vintage Pelikan nibs fit in modern Pelikans. I have some vintage 400 nibs in my modern Pelikans and mine have very nice vintage flex.

Jon Szanto
January 26th, 2014, 03:00 PM
I'm into pens now for just under 4 years, and my education still grows. One of the biggest areas was the writing experience, and how it relates to the various nibs. Design, material, and the flexion of the nib has been fascinating, and of all the aspects that strike me, it is the fact that there is nothing like the nibs of days gone by.

If one *truly* wants a flex experience - not just a "soft" nib, or a nib that you have to arm-wrestle to get some line variation - you really are going to be rewarded by taking a long view, spending a lot of time reading, and then investing in a few pens (well, nibs, really) of the type of pens known to encourage and assist this kind of writing.

Teri's Peyton Street has been mentioned above, and that is one very good place to buy a pen you know will work properly - she stands behind her stuff. I still have the first two pens with flexible nibs that I purchased, and they were from her: Eversharp Symphony (I think #713), one Fine flex and one stubbed. I got those after banging about with a Creaper that was, in the end, a piece of junk (And it smelled! And it was ugly!) I couldn't believe how easy it was to write with line variation (notice how I didn't say "write well", or "write true Spencerian" or anything like that) once I had a proper nib.

Then you start learning all about the various pens over the years that have had great nibs (as some have mentioned) and you'll be looking for them. I have to say, you might pick your route early: either buy a restored vintage pen from a reputable seller (and the money will be *very* worth it), or decide that you will troll eBay and look for a bargain that you can fix up yourself. Me? I love to tinker, and I've gone the second route.

I continue to find pens that are extremely reasonable that only need a little TLC, probably a sac, and maybe some basic nib fiddling, that then become AMAZING writers. A $40.00 gold-filled ringtop Wahl pen, a similar priced Conklin, both with near-wet-noodle nibs that not only don't need pressure, but spring back to fine or hairline. Hell, I just picked up a Moore 94-A for $25.00 and it is a killer! They have a nib called "ManiFlex", and it is rigid enough that with light writing it works like a standard Medium (they made it stiff enough to use in the early days of carbon paper), but lean in just a little and you are rewarded with lots of character. Not to mention that it restored so well, it easily quadrupled my investment (though it's a keeper).

So, it's an adventure, and well worth it in the long run. Maybe try Teri, and if you've got more resources, Mauricio at www.vintagepen.net (http://www.vintagepen.net/) has amazing pens (even if you don't buy, you HAVE to take a look at his site, if only for his handwriting samples). Also, check out Greg Minuskin's site - his sales are a little awkward, because he only sells one pen at a time, and you have to see it to get it. That said, he specializes in pens that write well above their looks at really great price points, and his knowledge of nibs really plays in your favor.

I know that is a lot of verbiage, but it's a subject without an easy, pat answer. All I know is that the hunt is fun, and the reward of a vintage pen bringing your thoughts to life on the page is one of the subtle and remarkable pleasures in life. Good luck!

ETA: I see, while I was writing, that trhall also mentioned Mauricio. In addition, I'd be curious to get input from others as to some of the offerings of the new Wahl-Eversharp company. They've got some very interesting new nibs (some with ceramic coating) that may be an interesting "modern" way to go...

Frisky Willy
July 21st, 2015, 02:49 PM
I'm into pens now for just under 4 years, and my education still grows. One of the biggest areas was the writing experience, and how it relates to the various nibs. Design, material, and the flexion of the nib has been fascinating, and of all the aspects that strike me, it is the fact that there is nothing like the nibs of days gone by.

If one *truly* wants a flex experience - not just a "soft" nib, or a nib that you have to arm-wrestle to get some line variation - you really are going to be rewarded by taking a long view, spending a lot of time reading, and then investing in a few pens (well, nibs, really) of the type of pens known to encourage and assist this kind of writing.

Teri's Peyton Street has been mentioned above, and that is one very good place to buy a pen you know will work properly - she stands behind her stuff. I still have the first two pens with flexible nibs that I purchased, and they were from her: Eversharp Symphony (I think #713), one Fine flex and one stubbed. I got those after banging about with a Creaper that was, in the end, a piece of junk (And it smelled! And it was ugly!) I couldn't believe how easy it was to write with line variation (notice how I didn't say "write well", or "write true Spencerian" or anything like that) once I had a proper nib.

Then you start learning all about the various pens over the years that have had great nibs (as some have mentioned) and you'll be looking for them. I have to say, you might pick your route early: either buy a restored vintage pen from a reputable seller (and the money will be *very* worth it), or decide that you will troll eBay and look for a bargain that you can fix up yourself. Me? I love to tinker, and I've gone the second route.

I continue to find pens that are extremely reasonable that only need a little TLC, probably a sac, and maybe some basic nib fiddling, that then become AMAZING writers. A $40.00 gold-filled ringtop Wahl pen, a similar priced Conklin, both with near-wet-noodle nibs that not only don't need pressure, but spring back to fine or hairline. Hell, I just picked up a Moore 94-A for $25.00 and it is a killer! They have a nib called "ManiFlex", and it is rigid enough that with light writing it works like a standard Medium (they made it stiff enough to use in the early days of carbon paper), but lean in just a little and you are rewarded with lots of character. Not to mention that it restored so well, it easily quadrupled my investment (though it's a keeper).

So, it's an adventure, and well worth it in the long run. Maybe try Teri, and if you've got more resources, Mauricio at www.vintagepen.net (http://www.vintagepen.net/) has amazing pens (even if you don't buy, you HAVE to take a look at his site, if only for his handwriting samples). Also, check out Greg Minuskin's site - his sales are a little awkward, because he only sells one pen at a time, and you have to see it to get it. That said, he specializes in pens that write well above their looks at really great price points, and his knowledge of nibs really plays in your favor.

I know that is a lot of verbiage, but it's a subject without an easy, pat answer. All I know is that the hunt is fun, and the reward of a vintage pen bringing your thoughts to life on the page is one of the subtle and remarkable pleasures in life. Good luck!

ETA: I see, while I was writing, that trhall also mentioned Mauricio. In addition, I'd be curious to get input from others as to some of the offerings of the new Wahl-Eversharp company. They've got some very interesting new nibs (some with ceramic coating) that may be an interesting "modern" way to go...

" you really are going to be rewarded by ... investing in a few pens (well, nibs, really)" Your comment rang my bells. I was infected ~5 years ago with the non-fatal disease of "old fountain pen". At first i bought everything that was pre-60's and looked cute. As my success in acquiring a string of great classics grew, i started to look at contemporary fountain pens and their fabulous designs. After a long review of these offerings my conclusions were:
- the endless number of "limited editions" is a cynical marketing gimmick,
- almost all are ludicrously over-priced as FOUNTAIN PENS,
- almost all of the nibs are mass-produced, many by one (you know who) company,
- the nibs a very smooth writers but are nails,
- fountain pens are for writing so it is the NIB that counts, the rest is window dressing,
- if you truly want a great fountain pen then vintage flex nibs is the only way to go.

How's that for a rant?

I now look for flex nibs, regardless of the "nib holder" attached. Granted, i am still a sucker for a pre-1946 Soennecken and a "Waverley" Snorkel but i will pass up a bargain in Wahls, old Watermans, "51"s, Parker Vacs, and a flock of other desirables if the nib is a nail. My wife highly approves of the resulting drop in pen expenditures. To sum it all up: Jon, you are bang on in recommending vintage flexis.

stub
July 28th, 2015, 06:26 AM
I have had a bunch of 400/400n/400nn all were springy. None were truly flex pens.

There are a bunch of midcentury Waterman pens with the 2A nibs that are flex, if not wet noodles. Most just need a new sac and are ready to roll for another 50 years. Some can be had for silly prices. Problem: Knowing which ones flex or not. But if you can get a BCHR pen that is a good choice. I have a bookkeeper (503) that usually comes with a rigid accountant nib but which is nearly full flex. You never know what you are going to get.

I would go with a dealer. (one of the ones mentioned above) tell them what you are looking for.

A cheap pen with a surprising amount of spring to it is the cute little Platinum Standard 14k. I have been pretty cruel to mine and it is still just like new. Not a flex pen but springy. It is an oddly charming little pen with a weird Jordache/Sassoon 70s vibe to it. Thin, plastic-y but the nib is a gas.