PDA

View Full Version : Waterman 301-v canada

Artslut
January 26th, 2014, 09:20 PM
Hello, i found a waterman 301-v at an antique shop today. It is a lovely red colour with green striations, it looks somewhat translucent. It has a bit of a bow, but the lever still moves. I thought i would try to see if i could fill it, though i am skeptical it does look somewhat aged, is there anything i should avoid doing? Is water ok? Can i soak it? I believe it looks more like celluloid than rubber.

I thought i would try and fix it up. Am i in way over my head? Suggestions would be valued.

Thanks.

Jeph
January 27th, 2014, 01:03 AM
The bow is usually a killer. There are people that can straighten them but it is usually not worth the effort. A slight bow is really only cosmetic but will drive you crazy holding it eventually.

Water will not hurt it, although it might make parts of a rusted lever mechanism rust more. That can be dealt with though.
Try filling it with water. Usually the sac is ossified but sometimes they are not. The good thing is that lever fillers are about the easiest pens to repair. The bad thing is for the price of a set of tools you can get several nice pens. I enjoy restoring pens so that cost plus the time investment does not matter to me.

And don't forget the pictures. We love pictures!
Does it look like this?
http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/waterman-301-v-canada-brown-w-red-veins-chrome-trim-semi-flex-medium-nib-excellent-restored.html

Annie
January 27th, 2014, 01:03 AM
Sounds like a great find. May we see a photo? It would help to work out the best way forward with any restoration.

Artslut
January 27th, 2014, 11:42 PM
Here i have attempted to attach some pix. I don't imagine they will be too good, but lets see.

Artslut
January 27th, 2014, 11:44 PM
The bow is usually a killer. There are people that can straighten them but it is usually not worth the effort. A slight bow is really only cosmetic but will drive you crazy holding it eventually.

Water will not hurt it, although it might make parts of a rusted lever mechanism rust more. That can be dealt with though.
Try filling it with water. Usually the sac is ossified but sometimes they are not. The good thing is that lever fillers are about the easiest pens to repair. The bad thing is for the price of a set of tools you can get several nice pens. I enjoy restoring pens so that cost plus the time investment does not matter to me.

And don't forget the pictures. We love pictures!
Does it look like this?
http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/waterman-301-v-canada-brown-w-red-veins-chrome-trim-semi-flex-medium-nib-excellent-restored.html
Thanks jeph. Yes it does though it is a lovely red colour instead. I have attempted to upload some images.

Artslut
January 27th, 2014, 11:47 PM
Sounds like a great find. May we see a photo? It would help to work out the best way forward with any restoration.

Thanks Annie, i have tried to attach some images, not great, but they give a sense of it.
Havent figured out how to get them to show as images and not attachment links yet.