PDA

View Full Version : Kokuyo Campus High Grade MIO Paper (A5) Notebook Review

heath
January 27th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Check out the review with all images here: http://penpaperinkletter.com/kokuyo-campus-high-grade-mio-paper-a5-notebook-review-jetpens/ (http://penpaperinkletter.com/kokuyo-campus-high-grade-mio-paper-a5-notebook-review-jetpens/)

This is the A5 sized Kokuyo Campus High Grade MIO Paper Notebook. It’s ruled in 5mm x 28 line sheets. Each sheet has a title and date section in the top outside corner and they also have a vertical dot at the top and bottom of the page to keep verticals in line. They are flexible but don’t lay flat. The covers are akin to card-stock with a gloss and textured design that helps protect the notebook. It appears to be squared glue binding but I’ve had no issues even as I have bent the notebook back a good bit for pictures and normal use.

The first Kokuyo experience I had was with the B5 Campus binder and loose leaf paper. I put this in the same class so reading that review might also be helpful. The paper is smooth and enjoyable to write on. The paper handles ink, even from wet pens, well in regards to show through and bleed through. I have had some issues with feathering using certain inks, primarily Noodler’s Apache Sunset from a Noodler’s Konrad flex pen even though PR Spearmint from a Noodler’s Ahab flex pen did not, and from Noodler’s Navy from a Hero 616 which is actually a fine nib pen. I tried to give a wide range of pen and ink combos some love in the writing sample but it would be impossible to be exhaustive on how this notebook handles every ink. I would say that the possibility it will handle your favorite ink is higher than not but if you use Noodler’s inks heavily keep in mind my findings. The Noodler’s Black though worked well.

As for the size, I am starting to enjoy the A5 size more and more. It is small enough to not feel bulky but the horizontal space is big enough to let you get a complete sentence on a line. After Krazy Ivan of Intronics started publically touting the size on the FPGeeks forums I realized I hadn’t ever tried it. I think this notebook was a good entry into the size all around and am enjoying it myself.

I do think it could benefit from a slip case or cover but at the same time I toss it into my bag without worry nearly everyday. If I decide to make this notebook part of my strange notebook strategy I may look into a cover and it’s a real possibility this could make it into that rotation. For the $7.75 Jetpens.com charges for these notebooks I think they are competitively priced and work well as fountain pen notebooks in the value to mid-level range. One unique feature of this paper over the standard Campus line is that it is 20% lighter. It is also archival quality and ph neutral.

-Heath
@WeThePPIL

Waski_the_Squirrel
January 27th, 2014, 06:41 PM
I bought a pack of these to play with. I like them, and I like the thin paper a lot. My only real complaint about them is the limited number of pages. But, with the right application, I'm sure this won't be a limit. Novel writing wasn't that application! But, it is working well as my idea notebook for novels.

The date section is a great idea. I've started dating each new day as a way of tracking my writing progress in my Kokuyo campus notebooks. In fact, I wish my Apica notebooks had this feature.

As the OP says, it's great paper. There is showthrough because it's thinner paper, but no bleeding or feathering.

blopplop
February 3rd, 2014, 04:27 PM
Great review! :)

I own and use many varieties of the Kokuyo pads, and I find the paper to be of excellent quality. Some are a little pricey, but they're well made and fantastic for Fp's. I'm currently using the Ispiracion & Campus Wide (Hard bound/ring) ones.

Good stuff.
Dave

Mags
February 3rd, 2014, 05:31 PM
Great review, thanks for posting it for us to enjoy. Keep up the great work.

Lady Onogaro
February 11th, 2014, 07:17 PM
I love these and order them regularly from JetPens. I usually use my Safari with them, and I don't notice much bleed through, but I don't write with a heavy hand. Heath has really put it through its paces!

swanjun
February 12th, 2014, 06:41 AM
Thanks, I've been curious about these!

mtnbiker62
February 12th, 2014, 10:57 AM
I'm getting to be a fan of the Kokuyo notebooks and paper too. I'm currently using the Sarasara loose leaf paper and Campus twin ring notebook (both in B5 size) and the Edge Title twin ring notebook (in A5 size). All of them are very good with fountain pens, and are in my rotation. Current EDC is iPad (in leather folio case), Kokuyo Systemic nylon cover w/Edge Title twin ring notebook and my Hobonichi Techo planner (black leather cover)...very happy with the system.

SmoovD
February 13th, 2014, 12:28 PM
The MIO is nice but I prefer the Cyo-Bo. The paper is 100gsm and handles everything written and spilled on it.

heath
February 13th, 2014, 01:24 PM
The MIO is nice but I prefer the Cyo-Bo. The paper is 100gsm and handles everything written and spilled on it.

I don't think I've tried it. Link to a US retailer? It looks like Jet Pens used to carry but no longer.

KrazyIvan
February 13th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Kokuyo has yet to disappoint me. Very good paper.