PDA

View Full Version : should I buy these?

Finalist
January 28th, 2014, 10:21 AM
I found an antique shop near me that has several FPs, but I have no idea what I'm looking at.
Based on memory here are two that I found interesting. Are they worth buying?

The first is a Sheaffer Admiral Touchdown for $28
It's black with gold ring and clip. It has a very good looking two toned nib with the heart breather hole. (I think it's a feather touch?) The body is black with lots of wear scratches, but no chips or anything major beyond decades of use. The barrel's end has that device that you turn to fill with little vertical notches for grip. I have no idea if the pen holds ink or even works. The shop owner said he never tested them - just cleaned the nibs slightly. it is not nearly as clean as the one I attached in the picture. The gold parts are very old looking. I have no idea of the bladder's condition.

The second pen is a Sheaffer Wasp for $12. It really looks good, but beat up. It has a gray flaked pattern with silver clip and silver colored nib. I can't remember what type of filling system, but looks much like the picture below, but in various gray shades. The cap has a good size crack starting at the base that is about 1/8" long with a little plastic missing in that spot.

These pics represent a close idea of what I saw, but what I saw are not in as good of condition.

For $28 and $12 are these worth the risk? I'll probably go back to the shop tomorrow. I didn't realize the Admiral unscrew to fill, so maybe I should play with that portion to see if it works?

...sorry... Pics won't load. Maybe a server problem at work.

Snargle
January 28th, 2014, 10:32 AM
The Touchdown Sheaffer is likely going to need a repair to the filling mechanism. It's probably got the original seals, gaskets, etc. and these will need to be replaced. If you're not doing your own restoration work, you're looking at least $20-$30 plus postage to send it off for repair. You'll probably spend at least $60 before you have a functioning pen, assuming there are no other repair issues (nib damage, etc.).

The Wasp probably is a lever-filler and will also need repair. The ink sac, if original, has probably hardened, is unusable, and needs to be replaced. Again, you're looking at $20 and up if you're not willing to do the work yourself.

Based on the conditions you've described, I'd probably take a pass on these pens, at least at the quoted prices. If you can get the shop to negotiate downward significantly, they MAY be more appealing. They're not rare pens and you can do better for your money and time.

Finalist
January 28th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Is it a guarantee that bladders harden? I purchased a 1950s Scripto FP from an antique shop that works great.

so you don't think it's just a replace the bladder fix or maybe they'll work right away?

mhosea
January 28th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Yeah, I'd say pass at those prices. Touchdown Admirals usually go for low $20's in unrestored condition. You should be able to unscrew the blind cap, pull back the plunger, and press it down, but the seal has to work properly for the pen actually to fill this way, and of course the sac needs to be in good condition (which they never are without restoration). Heck, I've got a couple of restored Admirals on my desk right now that I have up for sale locally (at the moment). I'm only asking $30 for the lesser of the two (due to hand wear partially smoothing the ribbing of the section and significant ambering of the visulated part), but it's a good looking pen and a great writer with a touch of flex to the nib.

Finalist
January 28th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the advice!

I'm going to pass. Too many good pens on the web. I just got excited to be able to actually hold something vintage. And besides, what I really want is some goof flex.

Snargle
January 28th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Is it a guarantee that bladders harden? I purchased a 1950s Scripto FP from an antique shop that works great.

so you don't think it's just a replace the bladder fix or maybe they'll work right away?Unless I know that a vintage pen has been recently serviced, I would replace the bladder. It's too big a risk that the old bladder is going to self-destruct at an inopportune moment and dump ink all over the place.

HughC
January 28th, 2014, 06:34 PM
I'd give 'em a miss too. For not a lot more ( and sometimes less) you'll find a TM TD from the same era, the ones with stainless steel caps are especially durable as well if you want to use and carry , the spring loaded clip works a lot better too. With the WASP the cap makes it a parts/ beat up user pen, if think you might end up "collecting" a few WASPs it may be worth buying for future parts otherwise leave it. I have a box of "parts" pens from impulse purchases, most will stay there for a very long time !!

Regards
Hugh

Finalist
January 29th, 2014, 01:52 PM
I went back to the shop today and tested the filling mech for the Black TD. I unscrewed the end nob and pulled out the metal filling thing as if i was filling with ink. When pushed back into the pen barrel it did make a nice "fffffiiith" type sound of the air being pressed out or something. Everything felt good and tight. The shop owner would not give any statement regarding what he thought. He was adamant that he would not say if the pen worked or not or what his opinion is. He was border line angry that I asked what he thought about the sound which I think is a good sign. I said thanks and walked out.

What do you all think about the vacum type sound I heard? Good sign?

cwent2
January 29th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Finalist

Yes that is what you should hear near the end of the downward stroke on a touch down Sheffer pen.