PDA

View Full Version : Sailor Imperial Black Pro Gear

Murfie
January 28th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Hi Guys and Gals, here's a few pics of a recent acquisition - an F nibbed Sailor Imperial Black Pro Gear courtesy of Taizo (Engeika) - no affiliation, etc. I'm quite stoked with the appearance of this pen.

Bogon07
January 28th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Absolutely scrumptious pictures.
Bloody Hell now I'm looking at Japanese pens.
As the Italians weren't enough already.

The more I look at the Imperial Black the more I like it.
And there is even a big cat on the poster, however I can't help thinking a black panther or jaguar would be more appropriate.

Murfie
January 28th, 2014, 10:02 PM
Bloody Hell now I'm looking at Japanese pens.
Nothing wrong with that - and that's coming from someone who loves Stilographica Italia himself. But that Pro Gear does purr, so the imagery isn't far from the truth.

earthdawn
January 28th, 2014, 11:03 PM
I met up with Ed Jelley not long ago and got to try this pen. Really sharp looking pen in person and it writes VERY well. I mean every Sailor I have ever tried writes magnificent but this pen felt great in the hand as well.

Very very nice.

Whats amazing is the price difference if you buy it from a seller in Japan compared to the prices from retailers in the US.... I do have this on my list of pens to get this year.

Congrats on a fantastic pen!

Jeph
January 29th, 2014, 12:16 AM
Wow, that does look even better in your pictures that the other pictures I have seen. And it looks better yet in person?
And does the F write like earthdawn describes?
Earthdawn was the pen you tried a F?
Does the F really write a .3 mm line?
Do you want to figure out how to get enough money into my wallet to buy myself one?
Do...nevermind got excited there for a moment. I have been itching to try a Japanese pen and I always manage to talk myself out of it.

earthdawn
January 29th, 2014, 12:34 AM
Wow, that does look even better in your pictures that the other pictures I have seen. And it looks better yet in person?
And does the F write like earthdawn describes?
Earthdawn was the pen you tried a F?
Does the F really write a .3 mm line?
Do you want to figure out how to get enough money into my wallet to buy myself one?
Do...nevermind got excited there for a moment. I have been itching to try a Japanese pen and I always manage to talk myself out of it.

It was a broad I got to try. Pretty wet writer.

I have a Sapporo with a H-EF nib that was tweaked by Mike Masuyama and it is a FINE line for sure but he's really got the perfect ink flow and smoothness set just right. It is an exceptional pen for taking notes at meetings.

The black-out look of the pen really does show well in person. As well the feel of the matte finish is really nice.

PS... When I said "This Pen" I meant the one a friend has not Murfies Sailor ... sorry for the confusion.

velo
January 29th, 2014, 01:57 AM
Love this pen. Straight ninja. I've been trying to hold off buying one until I visit Japan later this year.

Murfie how do you find the size? I've read reviews that mention the smallish dimensions. How would you compare it to say a Lamy safari?

ps. engeika has the cheapest online price I've found.

Murfie
January 29th, 2014, 04:16 AM
Murfie how do you find the size? I've read reviews that mention the smallish dimensions. How would you compare it to say a Lamy safari?
To a Safari it is slightly thicker in the section, a little shorter, but I use my Pro Gears uncapped, so it isn't too short. No comparison nib wise as the Sailor has a firm 21kt gold nib with a sensitivity not found in a steel nib, and usually a richer ink flow out of the box than what you would get with the Lamy. But then again, in fairness to the Lamy, it costs about eight times more than a Safari. It gets to be a purely subjective opinion whether one is a better buy than the other. Personally I think the Pro Gears are pretty special, and that's why I have three of them, but they aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Murfie
January 29th, 2014, 04:26 AM
Does the F really write a .3 mm line.
Sure does. It is really a true EF, but of all my EF nibbed pens, this one performs the best in regards to ink flow and sensitivity on the paper. While the nib is marked H-F for a firm fine, the 21kt gold allows a bit of give and it has nothing like the rigidity of a typical steel nib.

kaisnowbird
January 30th, 2014, 03:36 PM
I'm one day late to the party and nearly missed this stealthy one!

Congratulations buddy. This is seriously cool - it's what a black pen should look like. If the standard black Pro Gear is a gentleman in tux, then this is total awesome ninja :ph34r:.

That true Japanese Fine nib is a work of art.

Murfie
January 30th, 2014, 03:51 PM
I was starting to get concerned for your welfare, Kai. Usually a Sailor heads-up grabs your instant attention. :)

Yes, the pen writes as good as it looks. I put some Diamine Raw Sienna in it at the outset, and now it's full of Diamine Sargasso Sea - that rich, deep, purple blue. I'm surprised about the soft feel of the nib even though it is an H-F.

Oncdoc
January 30th, 2014, 10:41 PM
I have a sailor professional gear slim. Is this the same pen in stealth black and larger? Also seems sailor nibs mandate a slightly different angle to perform well? Or is that just my perception?

Murfie
January 30th, 2014, 11:17 PM
I have a sailor professional gear slim. Is this the same pen in stealth black and larger? Also seems sailor nibs mandate a slightly different angle to perform well? Or is that just my perception?
Your Pro Gear slim is a slightly smaller pen than this one, which is the full size Pro Gear. The Imperial Black is not available in the slim size to my knowledge. I can't write with a slim model uncapped, but I can with the full size Pro Gear, but it is still not considered a large pen.

On your second question, I have over 200 fountain pens and half a dozen Sailors. It has never struck me that I need to change any writing angles when I'm using one of them. However, you could have a particular personal angle at which you write where an adjustment might be needed. I have a fairly flat angle of attach (not much more than 50°). Perhaps if you use a steeper angle then the Sailor nibs might be problematic, but I can't verify that statement. Maybe another member could give you guidance on that feature.

kaisnowbird
January 31st, 2014, 07:23 AM
I was starting to get concerned for your welfare, Kai. Usually a Sailor heads-up grabs your instant attention. :)

Yes, the pen writes as good as it looks. I put some Diamine Raw Sienna in it at the outset, and now it's full of Diamine Sargasso Sea - that rich, deep, purple blue. I'm surprised about the soft feel of the nib even though it is an H-F.

Very good to hear that the H-F has a soft feel. It's different from my limited experience and a pleasant bonus. :thumb:

I've been really busy at work for the last few days and Chinese New Year is always eventful for me too - shopping cooking and trying to keep my weight under control from all the comfort food. Bought a new pen today (have posted a pic in the new acquisition thread (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/2378-What-is-your-latest-pen-acquisition?p=64135&viewfull=1#post64135)). Even though it was kind of a bargain, with the other purchases currently in train, I've over-spent my February pen budget already, which has never happened before, and it feels good! :p

Sorry to de-rail this thread.