PDA

View Full Version : When inspiration strikes, what pen is at hand?

Avi R.
January 28th, 2014, 10:16 PM
With the passing of Pete Seeger overnight, I've been thinking about how singers, like other artists, must have a range of concerns about the tools they use.

I found this from an interview Seeger gave:

Does writing a song like “Where Have All the Flowers Gone” come from a spiritual place?

Songwriters can’t explain. You get an idea and you don’t know where it’s come from. And if you’re lucky, you have a pencil or pen and can write it down. I was in an airplane, and leafing in my little pocket notebook where I write down ideas, I came across three lines which I had read in the translation of a famous Soviet novel about the Cossacks and the river Don. Mikhail Sholokhov wrote it in the ‘30s and it was published here in a book called “And Quiet Flows the Don.” And the three lines the translator gave were, “Where are the flowers? The girls have plucked them/ Where are the girls? They’re all married/ Where are the men? They’re all in the army.” Sitting in the airplane I rephrased it and added to it two lines that I made up, “Long time passing” and “When will we ever learn?”—the intellectual’s perennial complaint.

Do you keep a notebook and pen handy for when inspiration strikes?

I have a pen associated with each of my blazers and suits that I feel 'goes with' that suit
Of course, I will also have at least one pen in my bag as well, which I may adjust to the situation.

Here's the link to the excerpt:
http://wendyschuman.com/articles/223-2/

velo
January 28th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Always carry a notebook and pens. For years it was a simple Lamy Al-Star and moleskine cahiers. It was the only fountain pen I had so it got used everyday.

Now I have more pens and notebooks. At the moment my daily carry is a Pilot VP and Midori traveler's passport size.

I've also learned to keep a pen and notebook beside the bed. Those dreams...

Dreck
January 29th, 2014, 07:25 AM
I am never without (at least) one pen. Since rediscovering fountain pens, my constant companion is a Nemosine Fission loaded with Chesterfield Archival Vault (soon to be Private Reserve Ebony Brown). For years, I carried a small Rite In The Rain notepad or a 3x5 card just in case I had an epiphany (or needed to remember more than three things-bad memory). Since ditching my wallet for a money clip, I now keep a small, off-brand grid lined notebook in my back pocket.

VertOlive
January 29th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Tomoe bound notebook and my Platinum 3776 Koi sit on the nightstand for am/pm thoughts. At work, if I have a chance to think, it's a quick Post-It note...

Cookies
January 30th, 2014, 09:33 PM
I'm an artist so I always have a couple notebooks within reach. At the very least I always keep a Kaweco Sport xf and a Leuchtturm softcover pocket notebook in my purse.