PDA

View Full Version : Akkerman ink in small bottles

GreenBox
January 30th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Just read some interesting news on the Akkerman site.
They are going to introduce a smaller size bottle, 60 ml.
The same design and very cute.
Could not find a timing or anything else.
I will definitely plan my next visit to Den Haag when they're available.

(No affil, etc., just Dutch)

Robert
January 30th, 2014, 04:52 PM
That's good news. I hope Vanness Pens will be able to secure the smaller bottles for its U.S. customers. (You listening, Mike?)

Jon Szanto
January 30th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Man, that is great news.

Miss Thundercat
January 31st, 2014, 04:21 AM
Just read some interesting news on the Akkerman site.
They are going to introduce a smaller size bottle, 60 ml.
The same design and very cute.
Could not find a timing or anything else.
I will definitely plan my next visit to Den Haag when they're available.

(No affil, etc., just Dutch)

They are available! I saw them in the store yesterday. They are very cute indeed. I did refrain from buying abottle though because the price is 15€ and a bigger bottle is 16.50€ so yeah... there's that.

earthdawn
January 31st, 2014, 07:33 AM
Paul from Akkermans said they will be available online mid-February if not sooner

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/484848_443326255796367_1456923464_n_zps71e0dbbe.jp g (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/thevaporcafe/media/484848_443326255796367_1456923464_n_zps71e0dbbe.jp g.html)

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/Akkerman_ink_intro_02_zpsb48bcb42.jpg (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/thevaporcafe/media/Akkerman_ink_intro_02_zpsb48bcb42.jpg.html)

erpe
January 31st, 2014, 07:44 AM
They are available! I saw them in the store yesterday. They are very cute indeed. I did refrain from buying abottle though because the price is 15€ and a bigger bottle is 16.50€ so yeah... there's that.
Hm, that would make it somewhat uninteresting. I was actually waiting for a smaller version, 150 ml would take me quite a long time to use up.

inlovewithjournals
January 31st, 2014, 08:51 AM
Excited! :clap2:

MisterBoll
January 31st, 2014, 09:34 AM

I love this ink but what's all the excitement about?

You're getting charged more for less ink.

Laura N
January 31st, 2014, 02:28 PM

I love this ink but what's all the excitement about?

You're getting charged more for less ink.

Personally, I found the big bottle too big. I'll never use that much of one ink. The little bottle looks much more useful for someone like me.

Per ml, you'll pay more for the smaller container, but that's the case with anything you buy. It doesn't keep me from buying a can of Diet Coke instead of a liter when all I want is one drink. Everything doesn't have to be Costco size. :)

MisterBoll
January 31st, 2014, 05:04 PM
Personally, I found the big bottle too big. I'll never use that much of one ink. The little bottle looks much more useful for someone like me.

Per ml, you'll pay more for the smaller container, but that's the case with anything you buy. It doesn't keep me from buying a can of Diet Coke instead of a liter when all I want is one drink. Everything doesn't have to be Costco size. :)

I agree with you. The large bottle is big but at the prices mentioned I would rather buy a large bottle and give half away to a friend.

Laura N
January 31st, 2014, 06:18 PM

I agree with you. The large bottle is big but at the prices mentioned I would rather buy a large bottle and give half away to a friend.

That's a nice way of handling it. :)

earthdawn
January 31st, 2014, 06:32 PM
What makes it interesting for those overseas is this thought.

When you ship 3 bottles it runs about $20 .. after that it goes up etc.

Now with the smaller bottles the weight is less so you may be able to order say 5 or even 6 of the smaller bottles and keep it within that lower shipping thresh hold.

That in itself may make it a good thing. More variety at the same price. Yes it is less ink but it gives the ability to try more colors.

I emailed Paul and asked him this very question. Ill reply back when I hear from him.

velo
January 31st, 2014, 08:10 PM
Yes that's one reason I prefer smaller bottles. Mostly because I use less ink and prefer variety but international shipping can be costly.

Chi Town
February 1st, 2014, 01:49 AM
That's great news!

ethernautrix
February 1st, 2014, 03:39 AM
I paid for the bottle anyway. Might as well get the smaller, more useful size.

Koyote
February 1st, 2014, 07:27 AM
How can one get this ink in the US?

earthdawn
February 1st, 2014, 12:01 PM
How can one get this ink in the US?

I did a video last year on it. Its short and in the description I give details on how to get them here in about 10 days

Paul is awesome and really knows the ins and outs of shipping into other countries.

http://youtu.be/eQg_38-pQkI

ChrisC
February 1st, 2014, 02:30 PM
hopefully with the smaller size ill be sble to get Treves Turquoise for a good deal less than the current 44ish dollars.

Mags
February 2nd, 2014, 04:53 AM
I for one applaud this marketing change provided they can ship batches to retailers for resale. The ink with shipping was a bit expensive so a large quantity made it more affordable on a per ml calculation. I need some of the brown 😄 and may need to see if Messr Taylor has too much and wants to sell me 5-10 ml or I will be ordering some soon. The smaller size would expedite more repeat purchasing by cautious Nellies like me who plunge in for 1 bottle on a group buy and are still chugging through the ink supply. I suppose if I can buy more variety in ink for the same price I will be more likely to snatch up 3-4 bottles of the ink.

Thanks for posting the information on the change to the bottle size.

raging.dragon
February 5th, 2014, 08:26 PM
I have plenty of the big bottles already. I guess I'll have to get a few of the new smaller ones too.

gwgtaylor
February 5th, 2014, 09:55 PM
I for one applaud this marketing change provided they can ship batches to retailers for resale. The ink with shipping was a bit expensive so a large quantity made it more affordable on a per ml calculation. I need some of the brown 😄 and may need to see if Messr Taylor has too much and wants to sell me 5-10 ml or I will be ordering some soon. The smaller size would expedite more repeat purchasing by cautious Nellies like me who plunge in for 1 bottle on a group buy and are still chugging through the ink supply. I suppose if I can buy more variety in ink for the same price I will be more likely to snatch up 3-4 bottles of the ink.

Thanks for posting the information on the change to the bottle size.

Never mind sell--would happily give you a 15 or 30 ml Nalgene bottle full of the stuff next time I see you. Easy

Mags
February 6th, 2014, 05:05 AM
Thanks sir.

migo984
February 8th, 2014, 07:27 AM
I just posted this over on FPN. I think the smaller bottles are a rip-off

"I'm in UK, and I think the increase in cost of ink sold in the smaller bottles is disgraceful.

Last month I bought 3 of the larger bottles:

3 x 150 ml at 16.50 euros incl VAT

plus 14.50 euros shipping to UK = 450ml at 64 euros

0.14 per ml

For the smaller bottles:
5 x 60ml at 15.00 euros incl VAT

plus 20.0 (?) euros shipping to UK = 300ml at 95 euros

0.32 per ml

And people think this is a good idea and can't wait to buy the smaller bottle? Well not me! Their inks aren't that special or different. I can live without them".

Miss Thundercat
February 8th, 2014, 01:38 PM
I actually agree with you migo984, it is odd the price is only 1.50€ less for almost 1/2 the size. 10€ or even 12.50€ would be a much more reasonable price for the 60ml bottles. However you do get to try more variety in inks and I think shipping would be 14.50€ as well with 5 bottles. It really depends what would want, a bigger bottle or more variety.

purplepencils
February 8th, 2014, 05:06 PM
hm I don't see why shipping would be 20€ instead of 14.50 but of course either way you are definitely paying more for less. that said, I have never purchased their inks because 150ml is a lot of ink. the bottles also would not fit into my ink drawer. I'm rather pleased with this change! I get to try more inks this way :)

erpe
February 8th, 2014, 11:26 PM
I just posted this over on FPN. I think the smaller bottles are a rip-off
Last month I bought 3 of the larger bottles:
3 x 150 ml at 16.50 euros incl VAT
plus 14.50 euros shipping to UK = 450ml at 64 euros
0.14 per ml
For the smaller bottles:
5 x 60ml at 15.00 euros incl VAT
plus 20.0 (?) euros shipping to UK = 300ml at 95 euros
0.32 per ml
And people think this is a good idea and can't wait to buy the smaller bottle? Well not me! Their inks aren't that special or different. I can live without them".

Actually, I don't think this is the right way to calculate. This type of bottle is rather expensive compared to the standard Pelikan, Parker or Waterman miniflasks. If you want to calculate for the price per ml, you need to subtract the bottles first, where the small version might be as much as 75% of the big one. There will still be a difference of course but not quite so big. As for the shipping cost, this is beyond Akkerman.

On the other hand, I hope they will sell the small bottles empty so I can fill them up with other inks :)

Mags
February 9th, 2014, 05:31 AM
I agree the price increase is proportionately too high. The bottles are unique and likely a little more expensive. The new size way more reasonable a quantity to try out...and as to price the ink has a price point similar to limited edition inks like MB I think I paid $20 or $30 for a 30 ml bottle of ink last time. So in euros that means Akkermans is priced well enough. Their real Achilles heal is distribution being so exclusive they need domestic retailers in Europe and North America and Asia/Australia to bring shipping prices way way way down.