PDA

View Full Version : 10th Century Caroline Minuscules

caliken
January 30th, 2014, 04:19 PM
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/asd/SOMESCRIPT600.jpg

Robert
January 30th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Wonders never cease - - that's stunning, Ken. I really like the ornately crafted "S."

crackednib
January 31st, 2014, 06:17 PM
A quick question regarding the rule for the use of the long "S". I am certainly no expert, how it was used, I suppose was dependent on the fashion of the time. I did read somewhere however, that a short "S" was commonly used at the end of a word. Could you guide me, on how the long "S" is properly used.
I have followed your work for some time, and with great interest. I would be interested in any resources on paleography you wish to share. I am specifically interested in how specific scripts were used to denote the status of the writer in scripts intended for practical purposes. I am assuming your vast knowledge of writing styles, reflects such interests on your part. Regardless, your mastery is welcome and inspiring

Thanks,
Geoff

caliken
February 1st, 2014, 02:06 AM
A quick question regarding the rule for the use of the long "S". I am certainly no expert, how it was used, I suppose was dependent on the fashion of the time. I did read somewhere however, that a short "S" was commonly used at the end of a word. Could you guide me, on how the long "S" is properly used.
I have followed your work for some time, and with great interest. I would be interested in any resources on paleography you wish to share. I am specifically interested in how specific scripts were used to denote the status of the writer in scripts intended for practical purposes. I am assuming your vast knowledge of writing styles, reflects such interests on your part. Regardless, your mastery is welcome and inspiring

Thanks,
Geoff

I'm sorry that I don't know the answer to your question. Being self-taught, I'm afraid that my historical knowledge of the background to various scripts is a bit sketchy; just bits and pieces of information that I've picked up along the way.

I've always been more interested in trying to write them!

Having said that, I appreciate that a better knowledge of their origins would probably be an asset

Ken

crackednib
February 1st, 2014, 01:11 PM
Ken,

Thanks for your reply. You may find this of academic interest:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/palaeography/tutorial/default.htm

While these texts are of a more practical nature, rather the ornamental, some aspects may still be of interest to you.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Geoff

caliken
February 1st, 2014, 02:37 PM
Thanks Geoff.....much appreciated.

Ken

cellmatrix
February 1st, 2014, 03:43 PM
pretty cool script - aside from the "s" looking more like an "f" its not that different from modern scripts. Like you say, not much changed over the past thousand years. Thanks for sharing this!