PDA

View Full Version : What is the Long Island Pen show like?

scrivelry
January 30th, 2014, 08:05 PM
This would be my first pen show, if the stars all align and I am able to go.

I've been to numerous shows and festivals for various hobbies over the years, so I know the general way these things are shaped - there are tables of vendors, there may or may not be presentations/classes/special activities or give-aways for the kids, and there may or may not be some place to get something to eat.

I am also generally familiar with the venue for the show - Student Center at Hofstra University, and I have looked at the website. The website mentions the essentials and lots of really good info such as sponsors, special attendees who will be working on pens or giving presentations (but not a list of vendors in general) and there seems to be a small giveaway for children coming in with their parents. Everything I see looks great and I am looking forward to it.

What I can't tell from any of this, of course, is what this particular show's personality is like Is there a particular flow of traffic? That is, is Saturday way different from Sunday? Is it frenetic or laid back? Are there lots of vendors other than the sponsors? Does anyone bring things like sacs and shellac to sell, or is it all just pens ready to go? I need some nibs for vintage pens which are without - any go-to booth I should be sure to ask at for modern or inexpensive vintage nibs? ( To clarify that, I have a sort of a third tier vintage pen habit I've been feeding and some in their long sad lives have become nib-less and need nibs to become whole, functioning members of fountain pen society once more - I am not talking vintage 14K flex nibs here...)

Is there anything I should not miss? If I can't get there till Sunday morning will there be anything left to buy? (Anyone who has ever shopped on Long Island knows that is only half a joke...) Is there any place open in the Student Center there to get something to eat or should I pack a lunch and water... I will be bringing a grade-school child - is there any particular booth, activity or demo that would be a must see for someone that age? Parents feel that an interest in fountain pens and their use would be an asset to this one, so said child's falling down this rabbit hole is permissible...

I am absurdly excited considering this is still over a month away...

T

earthdawn
January 30th, 2014, 09:38 PM
LOL>..

I went last year and it was a lot of fun. Laid back and very friendly people. Fountain One Hospital had bags of parts for sale as well as top tier Mont Blancs.

Fountain Pen Hospital will be there, Anderson Pens, Richard Binder, Ron Zorn & Susan Wirth has a table as well. There are many others but I can't remember them off hand. LOTS of eye candy. While the room is small compared to say DC it is packed with goodies and gems to be sought out.

I was there Sat but not Sunday. I know Sundays are slower but there is plenty there and many have said some of the best deals come in the final hour of a Sunday afternoon show ;)

The flow of traffic was great. It was not packed but it was certainly not empty. Susan's table always had people and she is a wonderful woman who really enjoys helping people with their writing skills and to improve. Richards table is always busy so if you want a pen worked on go there first and set it up with his wife and see how long the wait is etc. Ron Zorn is a busy bee as well so again, don't wait if you want a pen worked on. Anderson Pens along with a some others will have repair tools for modern and vintage pens. You will find hard to find parts and tools. They can also show you the proper way to use these tools and answer questions you may have about repairing a specific pen. If they don't know they will gladly point you to someone in the room who does. These "vendors" see each other often and all have their areas of expertise and help each other often.

Its a great show that is on the smaller side BUT it has some heavy hitters there that you don't want to miss seeing in person and in one place.

Ill be there Sat for sure. I can't wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT... forgot to say that food is just outside the room. You don't go outside to get to the concessions, it's connected. Food was fine & there are plenty of tables so if you want to pack a lunch you can go to your car and get it and sit without issue. If you need a break from the show for coffee and the little one to get something to drink it is a 30 second walk to the restaurant area to relax.

Really the best part of the day is that the people who are there are just nice... walk up to anyone thats looking around and you will find them friendly. See someone testing inks with their Visconti Homo Sapiens... feel free to ask them how they like it.

Laura N
January 31st, 2014, 07:29 AM
I've never been to that show, but I can comment about pen shows generally. There are always a few kids attending any show, and mine enjoy the Chicago show every year. Some shows do put on a "Pens for Kid" presentation; you can check the show's website. My kids have never done any special activities, but they just like walking around, shopping and talking to the vendors. My daughter always looks for pink pens and pink ink.

Richard Binder's website has a good guide to going to a pen show.

I do urge you to consider changing your schedule and going on Saturday instead of Sunday. At the shows I've attended, the pickings tend to thin out Sunday. But if you can only go on Sunday, you'll still enjoy it. These are always so much fun. No one leaves a pen show and thinks, meh. :)

scrivelry
January 31st, 2014, 08:46 AM
Thanks, this is a lot of exactly the information I needed!

I may be there Sat. afternoon. I'd rather be knocking on the doors when it opens, but there is an event on Saturday morning elsewhere to which I am committed. Drats! :puke: I am hoping the bags from FPH are not all sold out before I get there!:)

(I realize that vomiting emoticon may be in questionable taste but I have never seen cuter vomit and couldn't resist...)

scrivelry
January 31st, 2014, 08:51 AM
Richard Binder's website has a good guide to going to a pen show.

I do urge you to consider changing your schedule and going on Saturday instead of Sunday. At the shows I've attended, the pickings tend to thin out Sunday. But if you can only go on Sunday, you'll still enjoy it. These are always so much fun. No one leaves a pen show and thinks, meh. :)[/QUOTE]

I will look again at that guide on Richard Binder's site, thanks for reminding me!

I have an unbreakable commitment on Sat Morning so I may go Sat afternoon, or Sunday Morning, or both. For some reason that is the weekend that almost everything on Earth is happening.

I especially like "No one leaves a pen show and thinks, meh. " !! I think I know what you mean from other hobbies...

Thanks!