PDA

View Full Version : Taronga Zoo (Australia) Painted Rhinos also starts in Feb2014

Bogon07
January 31st, 2014, 01:37 AM
http://taronga.org.au/wild-rhinos/artists

In April last year Taronga put out a call out to artists requesting submissions for rhino designs. We were delighted when we received over 150 individual designs. A big thank you to all the artists that submitted design.The artists committee then met to make a shortlist of designs and 85 designs were selected for sponsors to choose from.
Well done to all those artists who designs were chosen and thank you for all your hard work bringing your designs to life.
The rhinos will create a trail from Sydney to Dubbo and surrounds from 2nd February to 28th April. Get out and about and pick your favourite.
At the end of the trail, on the 14th May at The Star, Pyrmont the life-sized rhino sculptures will go under the hammer at a charity auction to raise critical funding for Taronga’s rhino conservation programs.
A couple of painted rhinos.

kaisnowbird
January 31st, 2014, 07:27 AM
Fun rhinos - a favourite animal in my household.

I want a rhino with zebra or giraffe patterns, with a cheeky smile :p

VertOlive
January 31st, 2014, 01:55 PM
I've been smitten by rhinos since seeing a baby rhino practicing it's charge in the San Diego zoo. The parents just hung out calmly chewing, but this little one [the size of a VW Bug] charged up and down it's runway for the entire hour that I sat and watched.

Bogon07
February 7th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Fun rhinos - a favourite animal in my household.

I want a rhino with zebra or giraffe patterns, with a cheeky smile :p
How about thes ones !

These two are on the George street side of the Sydney Town Hall - they are about shoulder high.

Dreck
February 7th, 2014, 08:15 PM
That's some pretty clever artwork, but I've never been much of a rhino fan. I'm frightened of cows, and a rhinoceros seems to be like a bigger, dumber, better-armed, more aggressive cow. No thank you.

Bogon, how large are the statues along this trail, & what are they made of? Several years ago, the town where my mother lives did something similar with pony statues (about half sized) made of some sort of concrete

VertOlive
February 7th, 2014, 10:24 PM
They did these with salmon here where I live. The river running through the city has a salmon ladder. So for a year you'd see fantasy salmon lurking around every corner. Then auctioned them all off for a cause of some sort.

Bogon07
February 8th, 2014, 06:10 PM
I think the black rhinos are more aggressive than the white rhino.
The statues are about shoulder high. I'm not sure what they are made of ..... Seeing there are so many maybe fibreglass.

Sheperton a town in Victoria, Australia has a similar thing with painted cow statues that are lifesize.

the salmon ladder sounds like fun too.

Tracy Lee
February 8th, 2014, 07:10 PM
Those are so cool!!!!

kaisnowbird
February 9th, 2014, 04:20 AM
Thanks Mr Bogon, my wishes are granted. :D

We have one in front of our office building - not as attractive or wacky. I'd say that they are about the size of an adolescent rhino in real life. :crazy_pilot: