PDA

View Full Version : The Cube Pen by Firma (aurora)

Miss Thundercat
January 31st, 2014, 03:53 AM
I bought the Aurora Firma Crystal Cube Fountain pen yesterday at Akkerman, it was on sale (the excuse I keep telling myself) I have to say it was an impulse buy as I'm a sucker for design. I love the sleek box and the design itself. The steel medium tip writes nice as well. I can't seem to get more info on the pen, except that it was made by a firm Aurora took over in 2007. What I'm interested in is a user's review. Does anyone own a Cube pen and what do you think of it performance wise? I only tested it a bit, the section is a bit slippery (too smooth metal) so for longer periods of time I suppose writing with it becomes annoying esp. in summer time. I should upload a pic when I get home but to see which pen I'm talking about, a link http://www.goldspot.com/Aurora_pens/Cube/F11-W.html

Lesabendio
January 31st, 2014, 10:11 AM
The original company was Nettuno and the model was the Barricuda. There's a review on FPN here (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/131339-nettuno-barricuda/).

HTH

Jeph
January 31st, 2014, 02:31 PM
I am not sure why, but that pen scares me.

bluefeathers
February 1st, 2014, 04:46 PM

Me too...does Barricuda mean shark in Italian?

Bogon07
February 1st, 2014, 04:58 PM

Me too...does Barricuda mean shark in Italian?

There is something about this pen....:spy:

And there should not be any worries of it rolling off a table.

Mags
February 2nd, 2014, 05:04 AM
I saw it a pen show once actually at the US Aurora distributor table. Not a pen I know much about but I did try the rollerball out and it is quite a unique design, the magnets are fun and it felt odd but well balanced.

VertOlive
February 2nd, 2014, 01:59 PM
Interesting design. How comfortable is it to write with?

Mags
February 2nd, 2014, 08:36 PM
It has a nice weight....but the squared design felt odd and uncomfortable enough it was not a long writing session pen. Though the grip is rounded when uncapped I felt the body rub

Miss Thundercat
February 8th, 2014, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Well it is a very pretty pen, looks great on a shelf, but functional... that's debatable. I've held it in my hands and did a dip test. The nib writes prettt well for a steel nib. But the grip section is just too smooth, for me anyway. It wouldn't be comfortable to write longer periods of time with it. So instead of letting it gather dust on my shelf, I decided to return it. I hope someone else can give it the love it needs...

youstruckgold
February 14th, 2014, 03:52 AM
Sorry to hear that - but probably a good move. My review was done some time ago and I have to admit, I like looking at it so still have it, but don't use it much at all.

penstaking
April 6th, 2014, 02:00 AM
bluefeathers,

barracuda means barracuda (Italian and English)...shark is squalo in Italian. Nettuno also make a model called the Shark, a much larger pen.