PDA

View Full Version : Letter paper and envelope suggestions please.

Toffer
January 31st, 2014, 02:37 PM
As above, I have run out of envelopes and only have a couple of sheets of paper left, what should I try next. My current paper is G. Lalo verge de France and matching envelopes, its really nice but fancy something else now, UK availability if possible please as postage is probably more than the paper otherwise.

DrChumley
January 31st, 2014, 04:35 PM
If you can find it, I can't possibly think of a paper I enjoy more than Tomoe River paper. If you prefer the heavier papers that give you a little bit of texture, I was surprised as how well New Leaf Resume Paper worked with my fountain pens. No bleed or feathering on any of my inks. It's got a little more tooth than I generally prefer, but other than that, it's a lovely paper--especially the natural-colored paper.

00Photo
January 31st, 2014, 06:17 PM
I prefer thick, smooth papers as they allow for effortless flourishes, thick ink application when writing with a flex pen, and an enjoyable writing experience. The downsides are extra drying time must be allowed before handling the finished document and you must rest your writing hand on another sheet of paper to keep the oils off the paper or your pen will skip. i find this is not the case with thick textured papers like G. Lalo.

the best smooth paper I have found to date is R by Rhodia:
http://rhodiapads.com/collections_boutique_r_by_rhodia.shtml

If you prefer paper like G. Lalo you might want to check out Crane or Original Crown Mill Cotton, they are both textured papers.
http://www.crane.com/stationery

I see you are an InCoWriMo participant. I will send you along some R by Rhodia paper tomorrow, I'm making you my first letter! Cheers!

VertOlive
January 31st, 2014, 09:22 PM
I have the same set of G. Lalo, bought to try it out. I learned I much prefer Tomoe River paper. Sometimes I pair it with Life envelopes, but lately I've bought ordinary craft store envelopes and lined them with origami paper. Rhodia is another I prefer to the rough texture of the G Lalo.

fncll
January 31st, 2014, 09:27 PM
Basildon Bond and Original Crown Mill make some nice paper that has texture without being quite as in-your-face as G. Lalo. Clairefontaine Triopmhe is, of course, at the opposite end of the spectrum, as smooooooooooth as can be. In addition to Tomoe River, the Life and Maruzen lines have some nice smooth papers that handle fountain pens with aplomb!

Toffer
February 4th, 2014, 07:00 AM
Received some exciting stuff in the post today

Toffer
February 4th, 2014, 07:01 AM
Received some exciting stuff in the post todayhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/04/jy5ujesa.jpg

Toffer
February 4th, 2014, 07:01 AM
Will be looking at the other recommendations too.

Morgaine
February 4th, 2014, 03:17 PM
If you are in the UK.... then.... maybe not your first choice of shop, but Home Bargains currently has Basildon Bond recycled (A5) and Lion Brand (slightly bigger size) for a whopping 29p each. The Works has Three Candlesticks A4 for 99p and also the Basildon Bond recycled (but I don't know price, however, would assume it to be more than 29p). Just the paper.... haven't noticed anything for envelopes I'm afraid.

ThriveToScribe
February 6th, 2014, 10:20 AM
As above, I have run out of envelopes and only have a couple of sheets of paper left, what should I try next. My current paper is G. Lalo verge de France and matching envelopes, its really nice but fancy something else now, UK availability if possible please as postage is probably more than the paper otherwise.

At present, I'm enjoying the Tomoe River paper. It's delightful, smooth and easy to write in without changing your penmanship to a "hurried" look. So far, I haven't found equivalent envelopes but a regular résumé envelope In cream (or white) would work to protect the delicate pages.

Morgaine
February 6th, 2014, 10:27 AM
I've seen and received some great envelopes - using maps to make envelopes is quite popular, so is using magazines or wrapping paper. Might need labels to write on and to affix stamps to as they could come off shiny paper.

Jolltax
March 14th, 2014, 05:22 AM
I wanted to start writing letters so i wondered into W H Smith in the UK to get some stuff just to tide me over and bought the A4 Basildon Bond pad and matching envelopes. I have actually been realy pleasantly surprised and how good the paper is, really nice quality and seems really good with FP. Would definitely recommend for anyone wanted to write the odd letter.

Here is the evidence :)

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e352/Jolltax/BBPaper_zps48dbd65e.jpg

I have edited out most of my hairy leg and foot which was in the original, hehe

Jolltax

Lady Onogaro
March 14th, 2014, 02:13 PM
I wanted to start writing letters so i wondered into W H Smith in the UK to get some stuff just to tide me over and bought the A4 Basildon Bond pad and matching envelopes. I have actually been realy pleasantly surprised and how good the paper is, really nice quality and seems really good with FP. Would definitely recommend for anyone wanted to write the odd letter.

Here is the evidence :)

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e352/Jolltax/BBPaper_zps48dbd65e.jpg

I have edited out most of my hairy leg and foot which was in the original, hehe

Jolltax

That paper looks a lot like the back of the Tomoe River paper after I finish writing a letter with it. Do you get much feedback from the pen? What color of ink were you using?

AndyT
March 15th, 2014, 02:56 AM
Toffer, I'm a bit late chiming in here, but you might want to root around at Amazon for Elco. There are some bargains to be had at the moment from this seller (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=ELCO%20PAPER%20UK%20LTD&index=toys-uk&search-type=ss).

As for the paper, it's nice to write on being smooth in a velvety sort of way. Compared to Rhodia it doesn't show off shading so well, but is far less likely to promote skipping and hard starts with highly polished nibs ... it also looks and feels considerably classier. The Atlantic Clipper airmail paper is excellent, but heavily tinted.

Jolltax
March 15th, 2014, 04:50 AM
That paper looks a lot like the back of the Tomoe River paper after I finish writing a letter with it. Do you get much feedback from the pen? What color of ink were you using?

I was using a 1.1m lamy italic nib which is a little bit scratchy (although I quite like a bit of scratch personally) and its just plain old Parker Quink blue ink, nothing fancy.

For what is cost me, £4 for a pad, I think this paper is great. You can get it cheap in W H Smiths, Ebay and Amazon. Not sure about in the U.S.

J

Toffer
March 15th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Toffer, I'm a bit late chiming in here, but you might want to root around at Amazon for Elco. There are some bargains to be had at the moment from this seller (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=ELCO%20PAPER%20UK%20LTD&index=toys-uk&search-type=ss).

As for the paper, it's nice to write on being smooth in a velvety sort of way. Compared to Rhodia it doesn't show off shading so well, but is far less likely to promote skipping and hard starts with highly polished nibs ... it also looks and feels considerably classier. The Atlantic Clipper airmail paper is excellent, but heavily tinted.

Cheers Andy T, ordered a few different ones to try.