PDA

View Full Version : Private Reserve Velvet Black

Ed333
January 31st, 2014, 05:17 PM
I was comped a bottle of Private Reserve Velvet Black when I ordered a new pen, and have been using it a lot. Very saturated intense black, takes a while to dry. Based on something i read (maybe on Richard Binder site) I have avoided filling my vintage pens with it, but have been using it in modern piston filling pens, on the theory that they clean out better. I am liking it , save only for the observation that it needs a lot of time to really dry. And it seems to have good 'lubricating' qualities, very smooth.

Any other thoughts out there, either confirming or contrary? Anything I should be leary of ?

Cookies
January 31st, 2014, 06:24 PM
Despite not liking black inks this one always has a place in my rotation. It's quite wet, a nice deep black, and it has a gorgeous golden sheen on nice paper. I use it in vintage and modern with no problems. It's been continually inked in a vintage Sheaffer for months (with a cleaning every month or so) with no problems whatsoever. I tend toward finer nibs so no issues with dry times for me.

DrChumley
January 31st, 2014, 11:06 PM
I have two blacks in my collection: Aurora Black and this one. It's my favorite black ink (although I don't use a LOT of blacks...I like my colors.) When I use a black ink, I want it to actually be black, not gray. And this ink does go down black, with no discernible shading. There is actually a purple undertone to the ink when it's diluted, but it's a nice dark black. I've never witnessed the sheen, but I haven't used it for a while. Now that I have some better paper, I might have to give it another try.

I've used it in all of my pens without any difficulty whatsoever. In fact, I just finished up a filling of Velvet black in my Parker 51. It cleans like a dream IMO. I personally don't worry about it. It's been a great ink for me all the way around.

Cookies
February 1st, 2014, 12:39 PM
http://i60.tinypic.com/715idt.jpg
Just a quick shot with my cell, hopefully you can see some of the great sheen.

DrChumley
February 1st, 2014, 02:04 PM
Just a quick shot with my cell, hopefully you can see some of the great sheen.

Wow. I have certainly never seen that. Time to whip out the Tomoe River. :)

plank
February 6th, 2014, 06:51 PM
I've been trying to look for images of sheen online, that's the first time I've ever seen it on a black ink. Not that I have all that many inks. Looks great.