PDA

View Full Version : Mrs Bogon's Italian Pens

Bogon07
January 31st, 2014, 05:36 PM
Apart from the Deltas & a Visconti Mrs Bogon also picked up some other pens for herself in Italy.

A dip pen and some of the inks.

A couple of Renzetti pens. There was a third but it was unfortunately lost in Customs at Sydney airport.
The gold pen has an unusually thin cartridge whilst the burgundy takes a standard international.
The seller sold her a Visconti converter which does not connect properly with the pen :mad:

Also purchased was a translucent green Monteverde Artista Crystal in Rome :)

The Giuliano Mazzuoli Mokina tutta tonda(?) a pen styled on a coffee percolator. This one is round & not 9-sided as the card with it says. It would make a heavy charm when attached to the lanyard. The nib is totally devoid of any embellishment and appears to be a medium. It is nice and smooth to write with. The satin metal finish is pleasingly tactile to hold.

This metal lug at the end of the barrel has a thread on it to securely hold the cap when posted.

And there is also a small green metal pen with no branding.

Carole
January 31st, 2014, 09:37 PM
Holy smoke! Mrs. Bogon is quite an accomplished pen shopper. We can just imagine what a wonderful time she had. And the Bialetti coffee machine pen is so Italian. For the dip nib pen & inks, did she perhaps go to Bortoletti? I like the things in their online catalog and wondered what the shop might be like. Now we all want to visit Italy, along with both of you, of course. :cheers:

Bogon07
January 31st, 2014, 10:11 PM
Carole, Mrs Bogon purchased the dip pen at the souvenir shop in the Basilica de San Marco (St Mark's church), Venice.
She really enjoyed her three week trip.

Here is the small unbranded green pen. This is now her daily work pen-the cartridge is just about empty too.
The nib says Iridium Point.
It is noticeably smaller than a Kaweco shown below.

Chi Town
February 1st, 2014, 01:08 AM
Wow, these at some pretty pens! of course all Italians are usually very pretty I should know because I have a whole lot of them!

Tracy Lee
February 1st, 2014, 04:19 AM
That dip pen in particular is really fabulous. And the old style bottles with tops dipped in wax are lovely too. Will they get opened? She really knocked it out of the proverbial park with those purchases, for sure!

Jeph
February 1st, 2014, 04:24 AM
She is making herself much harder to shop for. But now I see why she can obtain such nice pens for you. I think it is great that you both are into fountain pens so much.

raging.dragon
February 1st, 2014, 02:44 PM
Carole, Mrs Bogon purchased the dip pen at the souvenir shop in the Basilica de San Marco (St Mark's church), Venice.
She really enjoyed her three week trip.

Here is the small unbranded green pen. This is now her daily work pen-the cartridge is just about empty too.
The nib says Iridium Point.
It is noticeably smaller than a Kaweco shown below.

I believe that Kaweco is a Visconti? It looks like Visconti's limited edition tribute to the Kaweco Sport.

EDIT: the green and bronze/gold celluloid is one of my favourites, which Visconti also used for mid 90's Michael Angelo and Michael Angelo Grande.

Bogon07
February 1st, 2014, 04:29 PM
That dip pen in particular is really fabulous. And the old style bottles with tops dipped in wax are lovely too. Will they get opened? She really knocked it out of the proverbial park with those purchases, for sure!

Those ink bottles do look nice don't they. She also has another three metallic - bronze, silver & gold. Along with a packed of coloured ink cartridges in very renaissance looking boxes. This morning I noticed the silver and gold pigments looked to have settled out and a vigorous shaking wasn't enough so she is going to have to open them and stir things up. Actually she has been on a knitting binge since returning so her calligraphy practise has been rather sporadic.

Apart from a watch Mrs Bogon does not like to wear jewellery much at all and hardly buys any either unlike her travelling companion who picked up a $3000 ring in Florence.

It is ironic in early 2011 when I was getting mechanical pencils and gel pen, she said no fountain pen should ever enter the Bogon household then there was a closing down sale at Borders and a Lamy Vista returned home with us. Now it has many friends to keep it company.:pound:

Yes raging.dragon you are correct it is the Kaweco/Visconti hybrid. The green and bronze/gold celluloid is luxurious. One of the banks in Sydney used to have marble counter tops like that. Those sumptuous mid 90's Michelangelos make the modern black one seem very pedestrian by comparison. :cry:

raging.dragon
February 1st, 2014, 09:31 PM
Yes raging.dragon you are correct it is the Kaweco/Visconti hybrid. The green and bronze/gold celluloid is luxurious. One of the banks in Sydney used to have marble counter tops like that. Those sumptuous mid 90's Michelangelos make the modern black one seem very pedestrian by comparison. :cry:

Yes. I have the green and bronze Michelangelo Grande while the current model doesn't do much for me. I guess that's to be expected considering the price difference between the two.

kaisnowbird
February 2nd, 2014, 04:32 AM
Wow, Mrs Bogon is as much an FP Geek as any of us.
I like both the thin gold Renzetti and the little green pen, both attractive without screaming 'LOOK AT MOY'. The Venitian glass dip pen is fabulous.

Still, I have to say that you've got the best of the crop from her trip.

Scrawler
February 2nd, 2014, 04:49 AM
Mrs. Bogon has very good taste. That short green pen reminds me of the now unobtainable Tombow Zoom.

Bogon07
February 2nd, 2014, 02:09 PM
Wow, Mrs Bogon is as much an FP Geek as any of us.
I like both the thin gold Renzetti and the little green pen, both attractive without screaming 'LOOK AT MOY'. The Venitian glass dip pen is fabulous.

Still, I have to say that you've got the best of the crop from her trip.

The gold Renzetti writes nicely for such a small nib when dipped. We have not plugged the stupidly thin cartridge into it yet as we may have go to Italy to get more.
The burgundy Renzetti is my favourite great balance and a wonderful feel. It's cap has a similar guilloche or pattern similar to the gold pen but it didn't photograph well at all.

Yep the Delta BlueJay is a stunner - I was not advised of its purchase until she plonked the package on the table. Her brief was to have a look at it if she found the shop in Florence. The Mazzuoli Bialetti coffee machine pen was a similar price to the Visconti or the Vatican Delta I think.

Mrs. Bogon has very good taste. That short green pen reminds me of the now unobtainable Tombow Zoom.
Yes, she really likes the green "short-arsed pen" and is sort of annoyed she did not buy the others at the shop although the red one had a small paint chip & the other was gold.