PDA

View Full Version : Spend my money!

velo
January 31st, 2014, 07:38 PM
I can't decide what to buy next. Help me. Please.

- up to $200/300 if I really like something
- easily available online
- has some colour to the appearance (I own Lamys, twsbi, matte black VP etc. all understated pens)
- nib with some character
- prefer modern over vintage
- piston or CC

Some that I have in mind

- Edison Collier, Herald, Pearlette (probably too small but I love the Aztec Gold Flake)
- Pelikan M400 white tortoise (might be too small)
- Visconti of some kind, are there even any around that price point? :D

tandaina
January 31st, 2014, 07:43 PM
The Pelikan M400 White Tortoise is an excellent pen. And posted frankly is a good sized pen. (But light and well balanced so long writing is a pleasure.) Unless you need the bulk and circumference of something like a Montblanc 149 it is probably fine. But it is my perfect size pen so...

velo
January 31st, 2014, 08:03 PM
The Pelikan M400 White Tortoise is an excellent pen. And posted frankly is a good sized pen. (But light and well balanced so long writing is a pleasure.) Unless you need the bulk and circumference of something like a Montblanc 149 it is probably fine. But it is my perfect size pen so...

Is it the same or larger than the M200?

tandaina
January 31st, 2014, 08:24 PM
Same size as the M200, I think mine is a little heavier but that's subjective and may have to do with the 200 demo, vs the white tortoise.

DrChumley
January 31st, 2014, 10:56 PM
I completely adore the Visconti Van Gogh Starry Night pen. Adore it. I find it to be some of the most beautifully-colorful acrylic available on the market right now.

It's right in your price range, has a beautiful nib, and for me, sits wonderfully in the hand. Certainly in the top five in my collection.

velo
January 31st, 2014, 11:29 PM
DrChumley the Van Goghs are definitely on the shortlist. Starry Night and Room in Arles look fantastic.

I'm currently reading "Van Gogh: The Life" so I like the happy coincidence.

da vinci
January 31st, 2014, 11:58 PM
If you want some colour how about a medium sized Delta Dolcevita Oro? Available from Chatterley pens (no affiliation just a satisfied customer) within your budget...

Cookies
February 1st, 2014, 12:44 PM
Franklin-Christoph (http://www.franklin-christoph.com/view-all.html) might have a few that fit the bill. Gorgeous nibs.

Other than that I would definitely go with an Edison.

kia
February 1st, 2014, 01:04 PM
If you like Edison, and you really like the Aztec Gold Flake, you can get any one of the Edison cartridge/converter pens (excluding the overlays) in the Aztec Gold material, it just becomes a custom pen (and pricier at around $250 to $275 with steel nib) if you are getting a pen outside the production model with set material. Here's his smugmug gallery link (http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/galleries). You can see signature line pricing or contact Brian Gray through his website (http://edisonpen.com/page.cfm/Signature-Line-Main-Page).

velo
February 1st, 2014, 09:40 PM
Thanks everyone.

I have to say the Visconti Van Gogh is at the top of the list followed closely by the Pelikan M600 white tortoise (touch over budget).

I like Edison but it's almost a case of too much choice.

Mags
February 2nd, 2014, 05:19 AM
Best of luck those are perfect choices if you like the look of the pens. I would pick the Pelikan over the Visconti but I like the piston fillers.