PDA

View Full Version : Strathmore "Skills" Series Sketch Paper - Affordable and FP Friendly!

inky_artist
February 2nd, 2014, 11:25 AM
I was recently invited by the Strathmore Artist Paper company to teach a series of four online workshop lessons for artists whose experience would range from beginners to advanced. Initially I saw no connection with fountain pen lovers. But, as is my practice, I began by giving each of the papers I was to work with a thorough "test drive" -- to determine the strengths and weaknesses of each.

Well, the first one I tested was the lightest (in weight) and least expensive of the group... and quite a pleasant surprise. The Strathmore "Skills" Series Sketch paper is an acid-free paper that weighs in at 50 pounds (74 g/m2) and has a fine tooth surface. It's bound on one side with glue -- which holds the individual sheets securely, but will release them without tearing when the user so desires (like a traditional writing tablet.) The sketchbook/tablets range in size from 5.5"x8.5" (14x21.6cm) up to a whopping 18"x24", and contain 100 sheets each.

The folks at Strathmore formulated this paper primarily for use with dry media (pencils). But I wanted to see if I could push the paper a little farther. So, I field tested it with pen and ink and light watercolor washes. I used Sakura Micron pens in the areas where I intended to also use watercolors and J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche in both a TWSBI Mini and vintage Eversharp (the latter with a semi-flex nib.) I experienced no feathering or bleed-through, but there was just enough translucency to the paper to allow the use of a line guide beneath the paper for text areas.

And the results? Well, I'll let you be the judge. :)

http://earnestward.blogspot.com