PDA

View Full Version : Platinun Maki-e 3776, any owners?

ExeArco
February 2nd, 2014, 07:23 PM
Are there any owners of this pen on this forum, I'm currently in the deciding phase of my next fountain pen purchase. I'm a beginner to the hobby. I came across the Platinum Maki-e 3776 fountain pen while looking through Goulet pens.

Sadly though, this pen has scarcely been reviewed and I'd like to ask a few questions if anyone has this pen.

First, how is the cap, is removing it a nice process and is it secure?
I'm a student and I find screw-caps slow to remove, and I've once had a screw-cap pen, a Noodler's Ahab unscrew in my pants and empty the entire piston onto my pants. So I'm forever afraid of having a pen leak in my pants.

Second, how is the body/section, is it large enough and what about the weight?
I like my heavier X450 to my Ahab, so I feel as if a heavier pen works for me but It's not the worst thing in the world if its a lighter one.
However, what is a serious concern is the diameter. Do you run into problems with the size being to small when writing, is it comfortable to hold?

Third, how is the finish?
I'm a fan of black/gold 'classic' finishes, so this caught my eye. Then I saw the Maki-e options, that looks beautiful, but I've read of production flukes.

Fourth, how is the nib?
I'd be personally looking into a fine, being a student, but I want to know about the wetness. I find my Jinhao X450 to be too wet for my liking. I'd really like something that is wet enough to be smooth and get the ink in the dark shades that I want but not wet enough that I have to stand around looking like an idiot waiting for my last note to dry for a minute, even while using Private Reserve Ultra Black Fast Dry.

Fifth, How is the feed?
I've got the opposite ends of the spectrum with my X450 and the Ahab. The x450 will commonly dry up after writing and require me to mess with the converter until it works where as the Ahab will sometimes just spray droplets over my paper. Does it require substantial force to get a droplet out of the feed or does it rain? And does it start writing instantly, even after sitting there unused for about a minute?

Concluding, thank you to any who can answer these questions or provide any other information about the pen.

cwent2
February 2nd, 2014, 07:47 PM
Body Material:Black lacquer with maki-eTrim Material:Gold-platedNib Material:18k GoldNib Size(s):Fine
Cap Type:Snap-cap, postable
Filling Mechanism:Cartridge/converter (included)Compatible inks:Bottled ink, or proprietary Platinum cartridges
WeightsOverall:17g (0.60oz)
Body:10g (0.35oz)
Cap:7g (0.25oz)
LengthsOverall, closed:137mm (5.39in)
Overall, posted:151mm (5.94in)
Body:122mm (4.80in)
Cap:62mm (2.44in)\
Nib:17mm (0.67in)
DiametersBody:11mm (0.43in)
Cap (no clip):13mm (0.51in)
Cap (w/ clip):15mm (0.59in)

jde
February 3rd, 2014, 07:23 AM
With respect to cwent, those specs look like a non-#3776 pen to my eye. (?)

The #3776 will be slightly thicker in diameter. The #3776 maki-e look like these on Goulet's site: Galaxy (http://www.gouletpens.com/Platinum_Galaxy_Starlight_Maki_e_Fountain_Pen_Fine _p/plat-ptb-70000c-56-f.htm) and Tiger (http://www.gouletpens.com/Platinum_King_of_Tigers_Fountain_Pen_Medium_p/plat-pnb-80000t-m.htm)

If you look at the nibs of the other Platinum maki-e on Goulet's site, you'll see the nibs are slimmer in profile, kinda spear shaped. These nibs are not #3776 nibs.

That said: the nibs on both of these two different looking Platinum nibs are among my personal favorites. I currently have a Platinum Kanazawa-Haku maki-e pen. And a plain ol' #3776. Both are F. The F on the #3776 is slightly finer than the other. Pretty much I only use Pilot or Sailor inks (my choices), so can't speak to the PR ink you're using. The nibs are wet but not at all unreasonably so. If you're worried about dry time, have a piece of blotter paper handy so you don't have to wait.

There are several other #3776 maki-e pens not listed on Goulet Pens, but they can probably order 'em for you. The slim/spear shapped Platinums are snap cap. A lot of the #3776 pens are also snap cap, but not all of them so be aware of what you are purchasing. The snap caps are quite sturdy and secure, IME.

Don't know what production flukes you are referring to with the maki-e series. The maki-e is good, entry-level quality. The lacquer on this pen requires keeping it away from your pocket keys and the like, because you will mar the finish. (I haven't managed to mar the maki-e, only the finish (http://peaceablewriter.wordpress.com/2014/02/01/tale29/).)

You are taking a big leap up in terms of nib and feed quality by going for Platinum (or Pilot!).

However: these are not heavy pens, and both styles of Platinum are considerably lighter and thinner than what you might be used to. Especially comparing it to your Jinhao. In that regard, you might find a Pilot a better choice (a Metropolitan, or a Custom 74, 92 or Vanishing Point) more to your liking in terms of weight. The Metropolitan, as I recall, is a snap-cap and is around $15. Very nice pen. Most other Pilots are screw cap.

Here's the Platinum catalog (http://www.platinum-pen.co.jp/products/fountain/e_fountain_makie.html) as an FYI.

Cheers,
Julie

Let's clarify in response to your #'d questions:
#1 Cap is easy to remove and secure in place.
#2 See cautions above.
#3 Finish is very nice
#4 & 5 Great nibs/feeds.

Also a link to a review of my own Kanazawa-Haku. (http://peaceablewriter.wordpress.com/2014/02/01/tale29/) You'll find a few more links to some reviews there too.

ExeArco
February 3rd, 2014, 07:31 PM
Ah, thank you very much for that review.

And yes, that is the pen that I was referring to. On Nibs.com its referred to as the "Platinum 3776 Maki-e Style
Fountain Pens" so I had no idea what to refer to them as.

I must thank you for the Platinum Catalog.

One thing I thought about was the fact that because the pen is smaller, it would probably feel more dense and honestly I did say that the weight was a concern but I really am starting to think that it may not after all.

I actually ordered Pilot Metropolitan off Massdrop, so that should be here... sometime.

Oh, you didn't mention of any problems of your pen randomly dropping ink droplets when you shook it with force?

I'm still deciding and don't really have the money right now, but thank you very very much for the information.

jde
February 4th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Oh, you didn't mention of any problems of your pen randomly dropping ink droplets when you shook it with force?

I'm still deciding and don't really have the money right now, but thank you very very much for the information.

Have to say that I don't shake my pens with force. And your shake is probably stronger than mine, I suspect, and so I won't
do that test for ya. :hippie:

However, I will say that I carry it (and others) around all over town, in my backpack, or pocket, and there is no dripping, leaking, spraying, stuff in the cap or
the nib. I'm medium rough on my pens. Any pen that can't handle that I don't keep.

Again, can't speak for the ink you use which can make a difference. Although you say you're using the Fast Dry PR ink, and assuming that runs on the dry side like Sailor Sei-Boku, you should not have a problem.

This is what we pen geeks do: ask questions, ponder, gather information, reject pens, hold on to future ideas, and consider pens over and over. Slippery slope, our new friend!

Very glad to hear you ordered the Metropolitan. It's too heavy for me personally, but I was very impressed with it. As are many others here on the forum.
Hope you like it!

ExeArco
February 4th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Have to say that I don't shake my pens with force. And your shake is probably stronger than mine, I suspect, and so I won't
do that test for ya.
Ah, I'm sorry. I mean like, when you're sitting around and you just are waving your hand around and such. Very light force, that is. My Ahab will drop droplets all over my paper with ease.

Anyway thank you very much.

jde
February 4th, 2014, 06:17 PM
do that test for ya.
Ah, I'm sorry. I mean like, when you're sitting around and you just are waving your hand around and such. Very light force, that is. My Ahab will drop droplets all over my paper with ease.

Anyway thank you very much/

Ah, get it. Nah. No droplets. Sorry your Ahab does that. Do you talk with your pens? Uh, like talk with your hands?
Maybe, uh, don't do that, ay? (I'm joking with you, ExeArco! Kinda.)
Your Metropolitan shouldn't spray on you like that. *fingers crossed*
Let us know. There's a Metropolitan thread around here somewhere.
Cheers!

ExeArco
February 4th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Haha no.

Well, yeah hopefully the Metropolitan doesn't do that.