PDA

View Full Version : Lamy Stub Nib

southpaw52
February 3rd, 2014, 08:44 AM
I want to try a pen with a stub nib. I normally write with a fine point nib. What can I expect using Lamy stub nib?

MisterBoll
February 3rd, 2014, 08:48 AM
The line will be wide on the downstroke and thin on the sidestroke.

This, of course, could change depending on how you hold the pen and the orientation of the nib.

VertOlive
February 3rd, 2014, 05:08 PM
My stub nibs make it look like I have decent penmanship compared to my fine point scribbly look...

00Photo
February 3rd, 2014, 07:34 PM
They definitely improve one's handwriting! It's a scientific fact.

Exhibit A:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3808/12298414896_4ed98a7e2d_b.jpg

MisterBoll
February 3rd, 2014, 07:55 PM

It makes sense to stay away from any nib smaller than a Broad.

Lady Onogaro
February 4th, 2014, 07:40 PM
I bought a 1.5 stub nib when I got my Lamy Joy, but I found it impractical for the kind of writing I wanted to do with it (basically, I just wanted to have pretty writing with a less scratchy nib than the Plumix). So I bought a 1.1 nib, and that's just right for me. But it is nice to have the 1.5 on hand if I want to change it out.

Lady Onogaro
February 4th, 2014, 07:41 PM
I resemble that remark (with respect to the scribbly handwriting). :)

velo
February 15th, 2014, 10:24 PM
Has anyone used the OB nib? I'm thinking of getting that or another 1.1 italic. I've come to realise I prefer the italics to the stub nibs on my other pens.

I like mango pudding
February 15th, 2014, 11:36 PM

Exhibit A:

I`d hate to see how a F or EF would look

I like mango pudding
February 15th, 2014, 11:38 PM
Has anyone used the OB nib? I'm thinking of getting that or another 1.1 italic. I've come to realise I prefer the italics to the stub nibs on my other pens.

I have an OB 146. I`d say start with a standard 1.1 stub first. It takes a while to get used to a OB nib. You write a bit differently than with a typical nib

earthdawn
February 15th, 2014, 11:53 PM
I think a 1.1 is a great place to start. An extra Lamy nib is not a big investment so it's a safe bet IMO.

Runnin_Ute
February 16th, 2014, 09:25 PM
I have a 1.1 on my Al Star - replaced the fine and it hasn't been put back in months.

MisterBoll
February 16th, 2014, 11:07 PM

I've found the Lamy OB nib not that smooth and not that easy to write with - this being on a rather dry Safari.
I have several other pens with OB and OBB nibs that are write wonderfully.

velo
February 17th, 2014, 03:21 AM

I have an OB 146. I`d say start with a standard 1.1 stub first. It takes a while to get used to a OB nib. You write a bit differently than with a typical nib

Oh I have the Lamy 1.1 and the 1.5 already. I've got a 1.1 stub on my twsbi and a goulet 1.1 stub on another pen. Just looking to try other things.

I've found the Lamy OB nib not that smooth and not that easy to write with - this being on a rather dry Safari.
I have several other pens with OB and OBB nibs that are write wonderfully.

Cheers. I might just try it out anyway. I've got some micromesh that'll smooth it out if needed.

I was more interested in the kind of line variation an OB gives as opposed to italics and stubs.

I like mango pudding
February 17th, 2014, 12:36 PM
OB nib is much the same as a regular B nib. I get the same line variation from both.

tandaina
February 17th, 2014, 12:42 PM
OB (or OBB, or OM, or OF) are not meant for line variation like a stub or italic. Oblique nibs are for those of us (I'm one) who naturally rotate our pens when writing. With a regular nib I have to work to keep it at the correct angle to the paper, I end up writing with the side of the nib. And oblique nib allows me to write comfortably and have the correct part of the nib touching the paper.

Because iridium tips used to be so flat antique wide obliques will give you line variation a bit like a modern stub. But that wasn't their purpose. A modern oblique with very round iridium will give you no more line variation (in general) than the same size nib in a regular grind. So if you don't rotate your pens don't go buying an oblique nib.

For line variation, but a stub or cursive italic. (Unless you realize you've been rotating your pens, then by all means, get the oblique that is right for the way you rotate your pens, both directions are available, right or left foot depending on if you rotate in or out and which handed you are.) There is a great page on nibs.com or richardspens.com about the difference between oblique and italic nibs and now I can't find it for the life of me! Help, someone have the link?

KrazyIvan
February 17th, 2014, 02:01 PM
I really enjoy my 1.1 mm nibs.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5521/12597014563_4ccf5742a1_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/12597014563/)
Today's online published handwritten note... #fountainpen #Lamy #montblanc (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/12597014563/) by IvanRomero (http://www.flickr.com/people/ivan_romero/), on Flickr

ac12
February 17th, 2014, 03:43 PM

I had an OB in my 26P.
But I just could not get the hang of the nib.
IF it was an oblique italic or stub nib, maybe I could deal with it, but not a broad nib. I did not get enough line variation from it. So I replaced it with a normal F nib.

MisterBoll
February 17th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Cheers. I might just try it out anyway. I've got some micromesh that'll smooth it out if needed.

I was more interested in the kind of line variation an OB gives as opposed to italics and stubs.

You can get line variation out of an OB nib but it is not like that of an italic or stub. It is also slight.

Let me know how you get on with the Lamy one should you take that route. I love oblique nibs but the Lamy was not for me.

kaisnowbird
February 17th, 2014, 05:29 PM
OB (or OBB, or OM, or OF) are not meant for line variation like a stub or italic. Oblique nibs are for those of us (I'm one) who naturally rotate our pens when writing. With a regular nib I have to work to keep it at the correct angle to the paper, I end up writing with the side of the nib. And oblique nib allows me to write comfortably and have the correct part of the nib touching the paper.

Because iridium tips used to be so flat antique wide obliques will give you line variation a bit like a modern stub. But that wasn't their purpose. A modern oblique with very round iridium will give you no more line variation (in general) than the same size nib in a regular grind. So if you don't rotate your pens don't go buying an oblique nib.

For line variation, but a stub or cursive italic. (Unless you realize you've been rotating your pens, then by all means, get the oblique that is right for the way you rotate your pens, both directions are available, right or left foot depending on if you rotate in or out and which handed you are.) There is a great page on nibs.com or richardspens.com about the difference between oblique and italic nibs and now I can't find it for the life of me! Help, someone have the link?

Hi Velo,
I second tandaina's comments above. I had a OM nib in my Lamy 2K and it was FAT. The line width was no less than a B and the line variation was practically not there. If you like italics and stubs, then an OB (especially from Lamy) is a totally different beast.

velo
February 18th, 2014, 03:53 AM
Thanks all!

Great info here as usual.

whych
February 18th, 2014, 10:30 AM
The trick to using an oblique nib is to rotate the pen till the nib is flat on the paper and then re-grip the pen as normal.
An italic nib gives variation on the horizontal strokes, an oblique nib on the diagonal strokes.
The modern obliques don't give as much variation as the 50's Pelikan and Kaweco nibs do.