PDA

View Full Version : Lamy Pens

southpaw52
February 3rd, 2014, 02:36 PM
I do not know much about Lamy fountain pens. I'm considering purchasing either a Safari or Al-Star. Is any significant difference between the two?

KrazyIvan
February 3rd, 2014, 02:37 PM
The Al-Star is made of aluminum and the Safari is plastic. The Al-Star is slightly larger. Nibs and converters are interchangeable but sections and barrels are not.

EDIT: The Al-star will have a smoked plastic section no matter the color. The Safari's section usually matches the color of the pen.

southpaw52
February 3rd, 2014, 03:00 PM
Then the Al-Star would be the better choice then.

Laura N
February 3rd, 2014, 03:05 PM
I would add that the Safari plastic seems to hold up better to wear than the Al-Star's finish, which is more prone to noticeable scratches. So if you are going to carry it loose in a backpack or pocket, the pen to choose would be the Safari. Of the Safari options, the charcoal has a textured finish that is probably the most durable.

On the other hand, the Al-Star looks more grown-up and might feel slightly more appropriate in a business setting, if that is a consideration.

They both write slightly on the dry side, so would be a good match for the DeAtramentis inks you like, if my memory is correct.

KrazyIvan
February 3rd, 2014, 03:06 PM
Then the Al-Star would be the better choice then.

It depends. I have both. Personally, I like the Al-Star better because it is metal but still lightweight. Some people don't like it because the anodized color can start to show wear and tear if kept is a pocket with keys, for example. The Safari's are made of a very strong plastic that probably holds up better to keys.

EDIT: Laura beat me to the punch. :D

85AKbN
February 3rd, 2014, 05:28 PM
...difference between the two?
05g / .177oz

22g / .776oz Al-Star
17g / .599oz Safari

kaisnowbird
February 3rd, 2014, 09:26 PM
I like my Safari and enjoy the Al-Star more, but the one I really love -- the Vista!

Jeph
February 3rd, 2014, 11:53 PM
I own neither, but having looked at racks of both together the AL-Star just looks better to me. The Safari is probably better for the money but the anodized colors (while new at least) look better to my eye.

Toffer
February 4th, 2014, 01:47 AM
I prefer my Safari's to my Al-star, I prefer the warmth of the plastic and the feel in my hand. I'm weird.

Laura N
February 4th, 2014, 06:48 AM
I prefer my Safari's to my Al-star, I prefer the warmth of the plastic and the feel in my hand. I'm weird.

You can't be weird -- because I feel the same way. :) I like them both, but if I could only have one it would be the Safari. Or the Vista, as Kai says.

Lady Onogaro
February 4th, 2014, 07:35 PM
Southpaw,

The drawback of the aluminum is that if you are hard on pens (or even not so hard), it's really easy to scratch the aluminum, so it can show wear a lot more clearly than a Safari. I have two Lamy Vistas (the demonstrator) and a blue aluminum pen, and I find myself using the Vista more frequently when I really want to lay down some ink.

velo
February 5th, 2014, 12:29 AM
Some things about my Lamys.

The finish on the Al-Star may wear but it's a pretty indestructable pen. I've had one for over a decade. Worked with five different nib sizes and never had a problem. I wish the section was in the same material as the barrel. I prefer the weight of it compared to the Safari.

Personally I think the charcoal/matte black Safari is the best of that line because of the texture. It's got a nice feel to it. In fact I'd prefer the Al-Star section to have a similar kind of finish instead of the clear plastic.

I don't like the plastic of the Vista. It feels cheaper than the others and mine broke after about two weeks. Also you don't get to see so much of the nice ink sloshing around like you do with other demonstrators.

klpeabody
February 5th, 2014, 06:44 AM
I confess that I really enjoy my LAMY Safari's/Al-Stars/Vista's. I will frequently take my Al-Star pens to work, and always receive inquiries about them because my co-workers think they are really cool looking. I agree that they can scratch a bit easily, though, so I try to be a bit mindful with them.

I recently purchased the matte black Al-Star and really like the finish on it. The texture is a nice departure from the standard Al-Star finish, and I really like the feel of the pen in the hand.

As far as the Vista is concerned, it is probably my favorite looking pen in the bunch. For whatever reason, it is visually appealing to me. I do find that normal wear and tear is less likely to show on this pen due to the transparent plastic.

Truth be told, they are all fun, and I always have at least one in use because they are so reliable. I think you really can't go wrong with any of these.

KrazyIvan
February 5th, 2014, 11:14 AM
I'm not so sure the wear on the Al-Star is a negative. Kaweco is doing the worn look for their new pens.

http://fpgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Kaweco-Stone-washed-blue-9_800-798x556.jpg

http://fpgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Kaweco-Stone-washed-black-4_800-798x488.jpg

Laura N
February 5th, 2014, 11:42 AM
That black Kaweco looks great! Like a well-used black paint Leica.

I only wish a naturally scratched Al-Star looked like that. Instead, I get random small gouges and scratches marring the finish, like a car bearing 10 years of parking lot dings and scrapes. But I still love them.

klpeabody
February 5th, 2014, 12:07 PM
That black Kaweco looks great! Like a well-used black paint Leica.

I only wish a naturally scratched Al-Star looked like that. Instead, I get random small gouges and scratches marring the finish, like a car bearing 10 years of parking lot dings and scrapes. But I still love them.

You beat me to the punch, Laura!
Ditto.
And, ditto.
:cool:

Toffer
February 5th, 2014, 01:54 PM
I'm not so sure the wear on the Al-Star is a negative. Kaweco is doing the worn look for their new pens.

http://fpgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Kaweco-Stone-washed-blue-9_800-798x556.jpg

http://fpgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Kaweco-Stone-washed-black-4_800-798x488.jpg

Man I want the black one of those!

Bogon07
February 5th, 2014, 05:25 PM
You could take a file and sandpaper to the Black Al-Star for that effect.:)

Manoeuver has/had an old beat up Aluminum Al-Star that shows the sort of punishment an Al-Star can take and still perform.

The Safari is the cheaper option and they use the same nib & cartridge/converters {Z24(red) or Z26(black) it does not matter} if you are budget conscious.

The Joy is the same as a Safari with a long pointy end to poke your eye if you fall asleep while writing.
The Nexx is also another consideration.

kaisnowbird
February 6th, 2014, 09:09 AM

Ouch... :faint: The poor thing, all that limited edition stealthy effect...

The Joy is the same as a Safari with a long pointy end to poke your eye if you fall asleep while writing.
:rofl:

KrazyIvan
February 6th, 2014, 12:04 PM

I think a few sessions of skidding my pen across the parking lot would make for a more authentic look.

cwent2
February 6th, 2014, 01:10 PM

I think a few sessions of skidding my pen across the parking lot would make for a more authentic look.

,,, There's that too, lot to be said for that

Bogon07
February 6th, 2014, 02:58 PM
The stud on the jeans' pocket with the Kaweco looks the same as the top of the pen's cap.

Runnin_Ute
February 16th, 2014, 09:09 PM
I have had my Al Star for 15+ years and it hasn't always been treated with the care it deserves. I have had to replace the section once. It does have a ding or two (I have the silver aluminum finish) - but it is a pen that gets plenty of use. It was my first FP and only one of two for years (until 12/2012). The other pen during that time was a red marbled Waterman Phileas with fine nib.

http://lamyusa.com/lamy_fountain_L25_alstar.php

VertOlive
February 16th, 2014, 09:43 PM
The Lamy Safari has become my designated Carry Around pen. It is cheaper ( in case it gets swiped), durable, and easily replaced ( if it gets dropped in the driveway and I back over it). Everything I used to like about ballpoints, but still a fountain pen..

bigmac53
February 17th, 2014, 06:22 AM
I have several Safaris and I really love them. They feel good in the hand and hold a decent amount of ink. The interchangeable nibs are also a cool feature. I haven't heard too many good things about the finish on the Al-star, so that's what influenced my decision. Either way I'm sure you will be happy with either pen.

stevekolt
February 18th, 2014, 07:23 PM
A number of knife makers have been doing this for a while...

Jolltax
February 19th, 2014, 02:44 PM
I have a few safaris and al-stars and I like them both as others say. Personally I find the Al Star more grown up and suitable for use at work (whilst everyone else is waving their Mont Blanc and Cross ballpoints) and nicer to hold and use, mine have had a farily hard life and I havent noticed them becoming worn yet - they are fairly hardy, you guys must be really hard on your pens!

My main gripe with both pens would be the small volume of their converters, but thats just being fussy, they are great no-nonsense fountain pens and write nicely in my opinion. My childrens school recommend them as the best budget option, thats a good thing!

Jolltax

Lady Onogaro
February 25th, 2014, 07:40 PM
I just got a Lamy Safari Charcoal, and it would make a very nice work pen. I like the textured surface a lot--it gives me a better grip on the pen. I don't think most of the pictures do it justice. Goldspot is running a nice package special on them.

Jolltax
February 26th, 2014, 12:39 AM
I just got the 1.1 and 1.5 italic nibs, they were peanuts on eBay. The 1.1 in particular I really like, is fun and practical as a daily writer.
Worth a pop if you have one of these pens IMHO

J

manuel1094
March 3rd, 2014, 10:01 AM
Most of my pens are old Parkers and Sheaffers that my grandfather used to use in the 60s, 70s. The first pen I bought for myself is a black Lamy Safari (F nib). It's the pen I use the most and the one I use to take notes in class.
I want to buy the matte black Lamy Al-Star, with a medium nib.

- Manuel

essp9
June 20th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Hi, I've got a Lamy Linea S- (Was a similar shape and size to my Parker Vector from collage, that had just cracked along the barrel). I have had a 1.1 to begin with then my bosses 25 year old M - in black as well! But I've just changed to an OB that is lovely to use, smoother and wetter than the B.

-Stef

Morgaine
July 3rd, 2014, 01:12 PM
I don't know much about Lamy.... but when I came across one today, I thought, I must get it!

http://i.imgur.com/BxTRqAO.jpg

Not a great photo with my phone... Anyway, I snapped it up from WHSmith (I did question the price when I got to the counter and the woman said it was clearance, and she bought some other clearance fountain pens yesterday!)....

da vinci
July 7th, 2014, 03:48 PM
20p??!

That has to be a sumgai :)

Lady Onogaro
July 7th, 2014, 04:33 PM
That is an incredible deal at 20p...or 50p.....or 75p... Congrats on the find. :)

snedwos
July 7th, 2014, 05:11 PM
2.99 I would have cleared the shelves!