PDA

View Full Version : Tripod (triangular) penhold

caliken
February 4th, 2014, 07:15 AM
This is generally known as the "Tripod" or triangular penhold, named after the shape formed by the thumb and first two fingers.

Although other penhold are possible, for the right-handed, this is the one most generally considered to be the best for most purposes, as it affords the greatest maneuverability whilst enabling a light but positive hold on the shaft of the holder. Although I'm using an oblique penholder in this photo, I use this hold for all types of script, with both straight and oblique holders.

In my teens, when I first took an interest in lettering, I was using a strange, unwieldy grip. It took a very short time to change to this grip and I noticed an immediate improvement, not only in my writing but in the length of time I could write, comfortably.

Although it's not obvious in this photo, the shaft rests on, or just in front of, the large knuckle. If the shaft sits down in the webbing on the hand, there is less control over the writing. Lastly, the first knuckle of the forefinger is kept fairly straight, thereby avoiding gripping the pen too tightly.

This may be of interest to those just starting out.

Ken

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/tripod800.jpg

KrazyIvan
February 4th, 2014, 11:55 AM
I know that I suffered from the grip of death until I learned to hold a pen this way. It took 6 months to break my bad holding habit but it made writing so much more enjoyable.

caliken
February 4th, 2014, 02:36 PM
This time with a straight penholder, This composite of three photos shows the angle of the nib to paper and the holder on or just in front of the large knuckle.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Untitled-hands800.jpg

caliken
February 4th, 2014, 03:13 PM
This time, I'm using a beautiful penholder which was made by Brian Smith (Unique Oblique Custom Pens).

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/hand801.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Untitledoblique600.jpg

Cookies
February 4th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Those 'f's are gorgeous!

Using a triangular grip makes my handwriting look much more even, but I find it so awkward.

VertOlive
February 4th, 2014, 05:13 PM
Whoa. I'm doing something right and didn't know it. Relief!

Jeph
February 5th, 2014, 12:06 AM
That is the grip that I use, but I notice that during extended writing sessions my writing gets sloppier. After seeing this post I have noticed that the sloppy (er) writing happens when I let the pen drop onto the web of the hand. Thanks Ken for illustrating what was happening. At least now I know what I can look for to improve my handwriting.

Peter Unbehauen
February 5th, 2014, 01:11 AM
When I saw the "tripod" term I was curious how someone could write with their feet.
Who came up with this bewildering term?

caliken
February 5th, 2014, 02:10 AM
I don't know who first came up with the expression, but I've been using it for many years. Although, of course, it's incorrect strictly-speaking, it does give a graphic impression of the shape required by the thumb and two fingers and is easily understood.

Writing with the "tripod" hold with the right foot?.......now that's a video I would like to see!

Ken

picautomaton
February 5th, 2014, 03:33 AM
Hello Caliken

I roll my wrist over and this allows me to use any pen at an oblique angle. I'm not sure if this possible generally, however after playing drums for forty years my wrist can 'roll' over. Have you tried this?

caliken
February 5th, 2014, 03:57 AM
No, I haven't tried it, but I've heard of the technique.

As you know, oblique penholders were developed to make writing Spencerian or Copperplate easier by pointing the nib at the slope line, negating any discomfort or the necessity for hand manipulation. However, they're just a means to a end, and whatever works best, is the way to go. IMO.

Using an oblique penholder for Spencerian and Copperplate, means that I can use the same "tripod" penhold for all scripts, with any type of pen (as shown in the photos, above)

Ken

DPWilkens
February 20th, 2014, 10:21 AM
I find that I naturally write this way, but I wonder how you deal with the callous or chafing that can develop on the side of the middle finger, where the pen rests just above the first joint.

caliken
February 21st, 2014, 07:45 AM
A callous on the middle finger is usually just an indication that the pen is being held too tightly. A very light grip is generally considered to be best for comfort and good, controlled handwriting. Oddly enough, although you'd expect control over the pen would be greater with a strong grip, in fact, the reverse is the case.

Ken

ypsilanti
February 22nd, 2014, 07:31 AM
I know that I suffered from the grip of death until I learned to hold a pen this way. It took 6 months to break my bad holding habit but it made writing so much more enjoyable.

Although it took six months of practice, I'm sooo glad to hear that it is possible to break the grip of death. I've been trying for some time now. You give me hope, KrazyIvan!

Script1one
February 23rd, 2014, 10:57 AM
Hello Mr. Ken,

I've read a lot on the oblique penholder topic on the internet and now i'm thinking to get one, but i have a few confusions on what penholder should i buy (i must order them so i cannot hold them and see how it feels in my hand) or does the fact that i'm a leftie makes me need a reverse oblique? Also a few nib recommendations for copperplate.

Thanks in advance !