PDA

View Full Version : Custom-made pen by Chris "Appleman" Hughes

Maja
May 2nd, 2012, 01:51 AM
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/MF518/VPC%20Pens/hughes_pens001_retouch.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/MF518/VPC%20Pens/hughes_pens002.jpg

I received this lovely pen in the mail a few days ago and wanted to shine a spotlight on the pen maker who made it---Chris Hughes from Brampton, Ontario. Chris has been making really nice custom fountain pens & ballpoint pens for several years and this isn't the first pen of his I own...but I think it's my all-time favourite. It's nicely balanced, posts very well and is a real looker (note that the section matches the cap and barrel---a nice touch :cool:).

Chris sells pens on his website: Appleman Pen Creations ( http://appleman-pens.blogspot.ca/ ) and is very easy to work with. He can even build a new pen for you using your existing nib-feed-section unit, if you have a favourite nib you'd like to have put into a new fountain pen. Many thanks for this newest pen, Chris!

KrazyIvan
May 2nd, 2012, 08:31 AM
Thanks for sharing. I have seen Appleman's work on FPN but have never purchased from him. I might have to some time.

fountainpenkid
May 4th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Thanks! That looks great! I remember that he made a piston filler also...does he make those for customers? :D )the piston filler was under a fpn topic (back when I was still on there..) called the hardest build ever.

Will

Maja
May 11th, 2012, 02:14 AM
Thanks! That looks great! I remember that he made a piston filler also...does he make those for customers? :D )the piston filler was under a fpn topic (back when I was still on there..) called the hardest build ever.

Will
Hi Will, I'm not sure if Chris makes piston-fillers, but you can always send him an email (contact info on his website---see link in my review). I just loved the material the pen was made of so the filling system didn't matter to me :D

goldiesdad
May 18th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Great looking pens for sure ... Congrats on yours ...

Maja
May 27th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks, everyone! :D I edited my first post a couple of minutes ago so that the images are now full-size (i.e. so you don't have to click on the photos to enlarge them). Still learning how to post here, LOL.

Frank
June 5th, 2017, 04:17 PM
Yes- Chris does great work!

This is my Custom "Apple Estie" that Chris did for me back in 2010.
These pics are actually from then, when I did my review.
(On both my forum TFPC, and FPN- under reviews in 2010/ I was still "Frank" & "Frankiex" then!)

This was the first time an Estie section was used to make a custom pen (from a custom maker) AFAIK

Chris threaded the section to accept the barrel, and a squeeze converter is used as the fill unit.
I have a FS J pen next to it for size comparison...
I still enjoy this pen, and use it as part of a rotation of "vintage" pens! ;)

Frank

Curtisvan
June 14th, 2017, 07:37 PM
Beautiful pen but for some reason I hate the clips with the round ball at the end.