PDA

View Full Version : Help with identification

Massaya
February 7th, 2014, 05:37 AM
Hi, I'm new to all this, but love my pens, and working on them. I recently recued and interesting Barrel and cap in perfect condition, I have refurbished it with a new section, feed and good nib, but I still can't identify it. It looks about 1930's and the clip on the cap suggests that by it's design. Any help or advice welcomed.9640

Jeph
February 7th, 2014, 06:05 AM
I'd call it a pre 35 Sheaffer Craftsman as my best guess. That extra hump on the clip is a little strange and the nib was probably robbed so it is hard to say.
Some dimensions might also be helpful although the Craftsman pens came in all sorts of sizes and flavors.

Edit: Due to the clip, I am going to call it a Sheaffer sub-brand.

Massaya
February 7th, 2014, 06:33 AM
Sorry not to have put the measurements in it's 14cm long. Quite a large pen.9643

Massaya
February 7th, 2014, 07:33 AM
Here's a drawing I hope shows the clip design better.9644

pengeezer
February 7th, 2014, 08:05 AM
I'd call it a pre 35 Sheaffer Craftsman as my best guess. That extra hump on the clip is a little strange and the nib was probably robbed so it is hard to say.
Some dimensions might also be helpful although the Craftsman pens came in all sorts of sizes and flavors.

Edit: Due to the clip, I am going to call it a Sheaffer sub-brand.

I'd be willing to think that it's not a Sheaffer,maybe not even a sub-brand. More likely
a third tier brand.

John

Annie
February 7th, 2014, 09:24 AM
It certainly looks like a Sheaffer Balance but without the 'branding' so I would say it was some second/ third tier pen too. If it were my pen, I don't think I'd worry about it as it looks like a lovely pen and a keeper if it writes well.

pengeezer
February 7th, 2014, 11:03 AM
My reasoning for seeing it as a third-tier pen is the top of the cap--Sheaffer Balances
bring the tip of their caps to a point. Some third-tier pens have the tip flattened,as it
looks like in this case.

Also,the capband looks too big for the cap.

John

Massaya
February 7th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Hi Annie
We 'spoke' last night. It probably is third tier and somewhere around the 1930's very similar to the Sheaffer Craftsman, but with no sign of rivets and a rather nice Deco design on the clip which has been plated, I can't help feeling it is a nice pen with a good pedigree. I will certainly be keeping it and enjoying it. Thank for your advice and all the other members who have helped today. You've made me feel at home already.

raging.dragon
February 7th, 2014, 11:37 PM
[...]Also,the capband looks too big for the cap.[/SIZE][/FONT]

John[/SIZE][/FONT]

That's probably a result of the celluloid shrinking over the decades since the pen was made.

HughC
February 8th, 2014, 02:47 PM
A very common first half '30's shape, while Balance looking it owes more to Wearever than Sheaffer who introduced injection molding to the US. Identifying the maker will be near impossible and without anything to work from ( the nib, section and lever sometimes help but in a lot of cases are all rather generic ) puts it in the third tier ( or bottom second), still looks to be in decent condition with the plating holding up well ( this most likely rules out Wearever who used the cheaper powder coating which disappeared quickly) and the celluloid also looks to be good, another indicator that it's of reasonable quality. A lot of these pens make nice "users".

Regards
Hugh

Annie
February 9th, 2014, 02:00 AM
Hi Annie
We 'spoke' last night. It probably is third tier and somewhere around the 1930's very similar to the Sheaffer Craftsman, but with no sign of rivets and a rather nice Deco design on the clip which has been plated, I can't help feeling it is a nice pen with a good pedigree. I will certainly be keeping it and enjoying it. Thank for your advice and all the other members who have helped today. You've made me feel at home already.

Not sure I helped much with the ID but it looks like a nice pen. Well done for finding it and saving it from landfill.