PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a good Deep Blue

BK_Starkey
May 2nd, 2012, 02:17 PM
Hey folks. Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion on a really good, deep, blue.
Maybe something like a midnight blue or slightly lighter.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks again!

JustDaveyB
May 2nd, 2012, 03:11 PM
Looking through the swabs of inks in my collection these look like they may fit within your colour range.
I would have a look at the ink swab images on Goulet Pens (http://www.gouletpens.com/Swab_Shop_s/793.htm) or search my blog JustDaveyB (http://justdaveyb.com) for writing sample images of these. Happy hunting!

Visconti Blue
Diamine Midnight
Noodler's Midnight Blue
Pilot iroshizuku tsuki-yo
Diamine Majestic Blue
Pilot iroshizuku asa-goa
Noodler's Bad Blue heron
Noodler's Ottoman Azure
Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher
Diamine Denim
De Atramentis Indigo Blue

Freddy
May 2nd, 2012, 09:28 PM
I'm a big fan of Diamine Denim.

JustDaveyB
May 2nd, 2012, 11:50 PM
I'm a big fan of Diamine Denim.

I have only inked it up as yet in my Pelikan M620 Madrid with an EF nib (http://justdaveyb.com/2012/04/23/into-rotation-pelikan-m620-madrid/) so I will be really interested to see have it goes in a broad or stub nib in the future. Does it shade?

BK_Starkey
May 3rd, 2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks folks...I looks like after looking around I may be leaning toward Noodler's Navy believe it or not. If the Goulet swab is any indication, that is where my money is (I think.) Although there are some tempting ones that you folks have listed...decisions decisions!

KrazyIvan
May 3rd, 2012, 09:43 AM
Do you have any blue ink that you like now? If so, what is it? That would help in stearing you to something you are more likely going to appreciate.

inky
May 3rd, 2012, 10:09 AM
Hi Bk, If you're looking towards Noodlers Navy, you might take a look at Waterman Blue-Black (or Mystirious Blue as it's called now.) To my eye there is more of a blue component to the Waterman but it still has some greenish hues to it as well. I'd call it more of a match to a Midnight blue the the Noodler's Navy. That being said, I use both about about the same amount and you can't go wrong either way.

BK_Starkey
May 3rd, 2012, 01:41 PM
@KrazyIvan I have actually avoided pure blues for a long time because I did not like them. I have stuck to blue blacks that have more of a green tone to them.
But lately I am changing my mind.
Thanks Inky..I will certainly add that to samples list.

Freddy
May 8th, 2012, 05:50 PM
I have only inked it up as yet in my Pelikan M620 Madrid with an EF nib (http://justdaveyb.com/2012/04/23/into-rotation-pelikan-m620-madrid/) so I will be really interested to see have it goes in a broad or stub nib in the future. Does it shade?

Ironically, I have only used it in my Pilot Penmanship pen which has an incredibly extra fine nib so I can't say about the shading. I looked at your review and you mention that the color doesn't look like stone washed denim. I never thought that was the point. To me it looks like original Levis 501 shrink-to-fit denim jeans before they are washed. It was just that look that attracted me to this ink to begin with. Oh well, YMMV. :)

jor412
May 21st, 2012, 10:10 AM
My favorite blue right now is Diamine Majestic Blue. But it seems it has issues such as smearing and staining. I'm looking for a well-behaved ink with good lubrication that is as brilliant.

KrazyIvan
May 22nd, 2012, 08:57 AM
Lately, I have been smitten by Waterman Mysterious Blue, AKA Blue-Black which is closer to what you have been using. I do like Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue as a bright but dark blue. Noodler's Blue is also a nice dark but bright blue. It is not as dark as DC Supershow Blue.

dripdrop
May 22nd, 2012, 09:49 AM
+1 for Diamine Denim here as well. Big fan.

jor412
May 22nd, 2012, 09:53 AM
I was looking at the swabs of Noodler's Blue, Aurora Blue, Omas Blue, and Diamine Kensington Blue. They seem right but monitors and swabs are tricky. I have a bottle of Herbin Eclat de Saphir arriving tomorrow. It's in exchange for one that had SITB. If Eclat is bright enough, I might just settle for that. The search for the perfect blue is driving me nuts.

Side story: my converter sprung a leak and I got some Majestic Blue on my table, the floor, and my fingers. It wasn't too hard to get off the table and floor but my fingers are a disaster.

KrazyIvan
May 22nd, 2012, 10:06 AM
I was looking at the swabs of Noodler's Blue, Aurora Blue, Omas Blue, and Diamine Kensington Blue. They seem right but monitors and swabs are tricky. I have a bottle of Herbin Eclat de Saphir arriving tomorrow. It's in exchange for one that had SITB. If Eclat is bright enough, I might just settle for that. The search for the perfect blue is driving me nuts.

Side story: my converter sprung a leak and I got some Majestic Blue on my table, the floor, and my fingers. It wasn't too hard to get off the table and floor but my fingers are a disaster.

I have Noodler's Blue and a sample of Aurora Blue. They are very different. I would say Aurora Blue (Thanks again Eric!) is closer to Baystate Blue with it's purple royal blue hue. Noodler's Blue is more of a dark sky blue.

jor412
May 22nd, 2012, 10:18 AM
Oh thanks for the useful description. I'd be more inclined toward Aurora Blue then. :)

I'm also using Lamy Blue-Black and when I run out, I'll probably switch to MontBlanc Midnight Blue.

KrazyIvan
May 22nd, 2012, 10:33 AM
Oh thanks for the useful description. I'd be more inclined toward Aurora Blue then. :)

I'm also using Lamy Blue-Black and when I run out, I'll probably switch to MontBlanc Midnight Blue.

I have Lamy Blue-Black and hardly use it. It is too chalky and faded for my taste but I keep it around for use on cheap paper.

lovemy51
May 22nd, 2012, 11:41 AM
Hey folks. Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion on a really good, deep, blue.
Maybe something like a midnight blue or slightly lighter.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks again!

this translate into PR DCSSB to me!

jor412
May 22nd, 2012, 07:19 PM
Lamy blue black is chalky, so I only use it in my wettest writers. The faded color kind of grew on me. Though yes, my usual preference is for darker inks.

gumwater
May 23rd, 2012, 10:59 PM
Diamine Denim and Noodler's Bad Blue Heron are favorites for me.

klpeabody
May 25th, 2012, 08:25 PM
PR Midnight Blues fast-dry, and Noodler's Ellis Island Blue-Black

DanielCoffey
June 1st, 2012, 06:48 AM
Diamine Denim...

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewDenimShade.jpg

Diamine Sargasso Sea (new)...

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewSargassoShade.jpg

januaryman
June 1st, 2012, 07:18 AM
Omas blue had issues and can be found no more, alas! I have been awaiting its return for many moons, now. Visconti is perhaps my best blue, Waterman's Florida (now called "Serenity") Blue is a carefree second - no muss, no fuss, the safest ink on the market, I think.

FLJeepGuy
June 7th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Levenger Cobalt Blue, Private Reserve Midnight Blues or Black Magic Blue are my go-to dark, rich blues. Also, if you don't mind a bit of a purple tinge, Diamine's new Bilberry is very nice!

The Good Captain
June 8th, 2012, 02:03 AM
Sailor Jentle blue?

goldiesdad
June 8th, 2012, 05:56 AM
I have really been searching and reading different reviews and it looks like I'm getting Noodler's American Eel BLUE ...

Have several blues and haven't found that one that sings yet ...

FP_GaF
June 8th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Another Diamine colour (not mentioned yet) is Saphire Blue. My favourite blue. Love it dearly.