PDA

View Full Version : Filling from a sample

Dad Of Sapling
February 7th, 2014, 01:37 PM
I have a question about filling my Esterbrook. Is there a functional difference between filling the normal way (using the lever) and removing the nib and using a syringe? I guess the real question is is there some kind of vacumn that is created by filling with the lever that regulates the flow that you don't have if you use a syringe? I have 2 bottles of ink and a bunch of samples (I went a little crazy at Goulet). Maybe there is a better way to fill with samples. I have tried the tipping method with limited success. I have noticed that when I fill with a syringe the pen seems to run wetter and somtimes leaks.

Any advice?
Thanks

Jon Szanto
February 7th, 2014, 01:48 PM
With a pen like an Esterbrook, it can be messy screwing the nib in and out just to change inks, but if you are dealing with sample vials there isn't a lot you can do. If the ink isn't 'deep' enough in the container to submerge the nib all the way up to the section, you won't get a vacuum and the sac won't draw the ink up.

I'd:

- flush the nib with a bit of water (to get off excess ink) and then carefully unscrew it and remove it
- flush out the sac and shake out excess water
- fill with ink from a syringe, not putting in too much, as the back part of the nib will be receding into the section as you screw it back in
- before screwing in the nib, I'd put a little silicone grease on the threads, just to make sure you don't have any leaks, and to aid in tightening it without undue force
- using a very small amount of ink, put a little ink with the syringe on the feed to 'prime' it (Brian Goulet has a video on how to fill pens this way with a syringe)

Wipe off any excess and you are good to go. There is no reason for the pen to have more leaking/burping from filling this way.