PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it - Tell me about pen cases/bags/wraps

etoyoc
May 5th, 2012, 11:01 AM
I am still planning on going to the Chicago pen show tomorrow. However, I feel like crud today and may not make it. If I do, one of the things I may be looking at is pen cases.

I have been seeing many posts and mentions of pen bags, pen cases, and pen wraps. Aren't pens supposed to be stored nib upright when possible? Maybe that is just an odd habit I got myself into. My pens are either in a vertical holder, in my hand, or in a shirt pocket. The only pen that goes into a pants pocket is a Kaweco sport and I still prefer to keep it in a cargo pocket where it can still be partly vertical when sitting. With the number of posts on these bags/cases/wraps, I would guess that I only assumed they had to be kept vertical, or do you keep un-inked pens in the bags? Seeing that some vendors sell pen holders which hold the pens in an apparent horizontal fashion, maybe I am just horizontally challenged.

I can see how it would be convenient to have a case to keep pens with you. I keep a set of pens inked at my desk at home, another set inked at my desk at work, and another 2-3 pens that go in pocket rotation. This means I often have pens that may not be getting enough use and are sitting too long. So I can see the merit in having a case to carry multiple pens and wouldn't feel the need to have two of the same pen in order to have one at home and work. However, I can't imagine how it is convenient to actually take from place to place. I don't even carry my kindle fire from place to place, I just don't know what to do with these things that I would be carrying especially if I also have a coffee mug with me. So what am I missing?

KrazyIvan
May 5th, 2012, 11:56 AM
I transport pens nib up in my case. Fits perfectly in my backpack. One thing I have learned is that you should be able to leave a pen nib down and not have it leak. If it does, something may be wrong with it. This does not include transporting the pen and I automatically transport nib up.

Ordinal
May 5th, 2012, 01:43 PM
My pens are usually at any sort of angle, since my bag is - horizontal, up, down, could change all the time. Some of them don't like being jogged around too much and may need a tissue to wipe the nib off when opened on occasion, but none care in the long term.

Jon Szanto
May 5th, 2012, 07:19 PM
A good pen can be kept in any orientation, at least for some amount of time. Maybe 'nib up' is optimal, but not essential.

Quinton42503
May 7th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Who is a good supplier of pen pouches in the U.S.? I would love to have a leather, four pen pouch like Stephen Brown has in his YouTube videos....I am sure it was purchased in Europe.

KrazyIvan
May 7th, 2012, 08:47 AM
eBay has a lot of choices.

dannzeman
May 7th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Levenger makes a great 5 pen wrap. Libelle makes a wrap that'll hold wither 5 or 6 pens. Franklin-Christoph's 6 pen penvelope is awesome. Aston makes several cases. Just Google those brands and you'll find a lot of options available.

Quinton42503
May 7th, 2012, 05:25 PM
@Dannzeman...Thank you!

Chi Town
May 10th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Here is some pen wraps that are/were at the Chicago Pen show that I think were /are pretty kool. I also think they are priced right for what you get with the material that they make them out of in comparsion to other's that I have seen on the market. Now the pen case that is here, that's another story in my opinion. http://www.penfoliobymenash.com/Penfolio-Products.html

goldiesdad
May 18th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the info ...